Dropkick Murphys!

spatspat Posts: 644
edited March 2007 in Other Music
who else fucking love these guys?? I just bought a ticket to see them next week in atlantic city. i've never seen them before so i'm definitely excited, especially this close to st. paddy's day. My dream is to see them in one of their annual boston shows. anyone else catch them on tour? how are they sounding? i'm bummed because i heard sick of it all was supposed to be opening but the lead singer hurt his back, so who knows who will be opening.
My favorite Pearl Jam song: "Corporate Greed Boat Asshole Behind a Counter in the Oval Office"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• pjfan020pjfan020 Posts: 426
    they put on a pretty good show, lots of energy of course. Can't wait to get waisted and listen to 'em on st. paddy's!
    "Tonight we're just gonna play you some good old American Rock and Roll." tom petty-7-15-05
  • Wish I was home seein them for their annual st. patrick's day shows in boston. gonna be crazy. I will be pumpin the volume up of their recent album though when im drunk at 8 in the morning on paddys day (it's a saturday :))
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 MSG I, Fenway I, Fenway II
  • hendrix78hendrix78 Posts: 507
    They put on a good show. I saw them about 7 years ago in a little club headlining a bill with 3 or 4 other punk bands. They closed with an awesome cover of Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap by ACDC.
  • MojopinMojopin Posts: 216
    Awesomely intense, fun, fun band! :D

Mojo
    "A consistently good band works all the different elements well. A song has to appeal sentimentally, intellectually, physically, viscerally, and dig deep down into your soul and suck you into it. And after that, of course, it'd be a matter of taste." ~ Kim Thayil from Soundgarden
  • BrezBrez Posts: 570
    Yeah I saw three of the "annual boston shows" that you referred to. They do put on a good show, but I'm not goin this year. I think their last album kinda sucks, and so does that Tessie song, so I went from die-hard fan, to "these guys kinda suck" person in one cd. But, to be honest I would go to see them play pre-warrior's code stuff.
    And before his first step... He's off again...
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,216
    Brez wrote:
    Yeah I saw three of the "annual boston shows" that you referred to. They do put on a good show, but I'm not goin this year. I think their last album kinda sucks, and so does that Tessie song, so I went from die-hard fan, to "these guys kinda suck" person in one cd. But, to be honest I would go to see them play pre-warrior's code stuff.

Wow...hang in there, will ya?

I've seen them a bunch of times, most recently last year in Albany, and they never disappoint live. Will be going to the St. Patty's show on the 18th...can't wait.

I would love to see these guys open for Pearl Jam at some point. What are the odds?
  • that song they have in the movie, "the departed" is sweet, it always gets me pumped. i might have to start looking into their music more
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    pjl44 wrote:

I would love to see these guys open for Pearl Jam at some point. What are the odds?
    slim, but that be so awesome though. i got the live at st patricks day cd going right now.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• adam42381adam42381 Posts: 2,505
    So, where's a good place to start with these guys. I liked the song from the Departed as well. The only other song I'm familiar with is Tessie, which gets annoying quickly.
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 MSG I, Fenway I, Fenway II
  • BrezBrez Posts: 570
    pjl44 wrote:
    Wow...hang in there, will ya?

I have hung in there, believe me. I've seen the 7 times, 2 of them were post-warriors code. I didn't stop going to the shows JUST because of warrior's code, I just moved on. Ya know? I have officially passed out of my Dropkick Murphys phase if you will. :)
    And before his first step... He's off again...
  • Lost_ClayLost_Clay Posts: 1,085
    i fuckin love em too

ill be watching the dvd next weekend,

saw em last september good times indeed
    "ah fuck it get in trouble"

06/29/03 09/22/05 09/24/05 09/25/05 05/09/06 05/10/06
  • edigerediger Posts: 308
    Some of the best times I've had at concerts was watching DKM. I was super stoked when they came through town with Bad Religion last year
    Hello, I love you. Won't you tell me your name?
  • spatspat Posts: 644
    adam42381 wrote:
    So, where's a good place to start with these guys. I liked the song from the Departed as well. The only other song I'm familiar with is Tessie, which gets annoying quickly.

if i were you i'd start with blackout or sing loud, sing proud.
    blackout has some of my favorite songs by them. their version of the fields of athenry is great, bastards on parade and as one are amazing songs too
    My favorite Pearl Jam song: "Corporate Greed Boat Asshole Behind a Counter in the Oval Office"
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,216
    Brez wrote:
    I have hung in there, believe me. I've seen the 7 times, 2 of them were post-warriors code. I didn't stop going to the shows JUST because of warrior's code, I just moved on. Ya know? I have officially passed out of my Dropkick Murphys phase if you will. :)

Fair enough. I've definitely had that happen with bands.

As far as where to start, I would agree with Sing Loud, Sing Proud and Blackout.
  • I'll be in A.C. to see them next week...can't wait.
    I'll cut you in.
  • macgyver06macgyver06 Posts: 2,500
    Flogging Molly is So Good...See them live... DropKick Murphys has nothing on them...not even in the same ball park...not even the same fucking sport.
  • I like their very first album the best, Do or Die. Mike McColgan Kicks Al Barr's ass as far as lyrics and vocals in my opinion. Last time I saw them Live I wasn't that into it. I think it was the skinhead assholes, though, who ruined the show for me. It's my dream for the Dropkick Murphys to tour with the Street Dogs. You should check them out as well. Awesome
    Walking is still honest
  • I love them as well, and saw them last year a few days before St. Patty's. One of the best, and craziest, shows I've ever been to.
    Kansas City 6/12/03 ** Kissimmee 10/9/04 ** Atlantic City 10/1/05 ** Denver 7/2/06 ** Denver 7/3/06 ** Chicago 8/23/09 ** Chicago 8/24/09 ** Kansas City 5/3/10 ** Dallas 11/15/13 ** Oklahoma City 11/16/13 ** St. Louis 10/3/14 ** Tulsa 10/8/14 ** Chicago - Wrigley Field 8/20/16 ** Chicago - Wrigley Field 8/22/16 ** Oklahoma City 9/20/22 ** Ft. Worth 9/15/23

EV - St. Louis 7/1/11 ** Tulsa 11/19/12
  • spatspat Posts: 644
    was anyone else in attendance last night at the house of blues in AC? that show friggin rocked!!! they are such a fun, talented bunch of guys, idunno how al barr keeps it up with those growly vocs every night.
    they pulled a nice little surprise with baba o'riley in the encore, which i had no idea they even covered. of course, being a pearl jam fan first, the first thought that went through my mind was no way they can hold a candle to pj's version, but they pulled it off! i liked the added touch with, i guess its a mandolin marc was playing? aside from the dude that vomited all over the floor by me toward the end, overall it was an amazing show, i didn't even realize they didn't play a few songs i really wanted to hear!
    i'm jealous of all you hooligans who are gonna see the boston shows. have a blast!