Options

Shamefully late discoveries

casper leblanccasper leblanc Posts: 1,246
edited February 2006 in Other Music
So what music or bands have you recently discovered that have been out there for ages - before you were born even! - but you never gave a chance before now?

I just discovered the late Chris Whitley. Waw man.... Though I know I'll never get to see him play live - he was known for his intensity on stage - I'm glad I gave him a listen.

You?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    eMMIeMMI Posts: 6,262
    maybe.. the Ramones and T. Rex. :) but I'm glad I've found them no matter how late.

this happens to me all the time. some while ago it was Queen and Guns 'n' Roses.

I'm glad I'm finding new bands (cause most of the music today sukcs badly) but obviously it's a bit disappointing I can never see them live. :o
    "Don't be faint-hearted, I have a solution! We shall go and commandeer some small craft, then drift at leisure until we happen upon another ideal place for our waterside supper with riparian entertainments."
  • Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,225
    I only started listening to jazz music 4 years ago so Miles Davis, John coltrane, Herbie Hancock, and Thelonous Monk are a few of my favs so far.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    barcoachbarcoach Posts: 413
    Mainly Johnny Thunders & the Heartbreakers last year... I'm so into his music as of lately..
    Stone: Thanks for the pick and the night of complicity, you rock!
    -The crazy guy with the Ramones t-shirt.
    Mexico C. 12/10/05.

"There is a rose that I want to live for
    although, God knows, I may not have met her"
    -J. Strummer

"And you'll never know just how dark this screen could be"
  • Options
    smarcheesmarchee Windsor, Ontario Posts: 14,539
    I just got into The Flaming Lips. A band I always wanted to buy something of, but never did in all my trips to record stores.

But I have been rewarded lately :)
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options
    PissBottleManPissBottleMan Union City, TN Posts: 4,154
    Jeff Buckley...didn't get into him until '03.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • Options
    AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,205
    Most of the music I listen to is older than me- Floyd, Zeppelin, Nick Drake, etc etc etc

As for modern bands, I'd wished I'd gotten into Blind Melon while Shannon was still alive.
  • Options
    PissBottleManPissBottleMan Union City, TN Posts: 4,154
    AndySlash wrote:
    As for modern bands, I'd wished I'd gotten into Blind Melon while Shannon was still alive.

Along the same lines, I wish I would have been able to see them live...I was 16-18 during their peak and didn't get a chance to get to a show.

Oh, how things would be differently today.

I wish the rest of the guys would continue with music...not as Blind Melon, but in general.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • Options
    Gotta tell ya, Now that I got SIRIUS Satalite I get to hear so many great songs that I have not heard in years or not at all. I heard "Richie Havens".
    Great guitar player who was in Woodstock. I recomend you buy his CD with shaker life on it! rocks!
    Get em a Body Bag Yeeeeeaaaaa!
    Sweep the Leg Johnny.
  • Options
    Oh, I almost forget about Ian Hunter and Mott the Hoople... just discovering this music thanks to a great Clash biography.
    Mexico C. 12/10/05.

-J. Strummer

• Options
    Double post? wtf? I just wanted to edit... sorry blame on the board.
    Mexico C. 12/10/05.

-J. Strummer

• Options
    Brian Jonestown Massacre...
    Rock over London... Rock on Chicago... I love what you do for me Toyota - Wesley Willis
  • Options
    Gotta tell ya, Now that I got SIRIUS Satalite I get to hear so many great songs that I have not heard in years or not at all. I heard "Richie Havens".
    Great guitar player who was in Woodstock. I recomend you buy his CD with shaker life on it! rocks!

I have Resume on cd... True greatness...
    Rock over London... Rock on Chicago... I love what you do for me Toyota - Wesley Willis
  • Options
    angryyoungmanangryyoungman Medford, NY Posts: 1,028
    i always thought the ramones were ok, but then i really started liking them, bought the mania cd. johnny died a week later, and most of the rest of the band soon followed
    i have wished for so long, how i wish for you today
    JEFFREY ROSS ROGERS 1975-2002

9.10.98 NYC / 8.23.00 JONES BEACH /4.30.03 UNIONDALE / 7.9.03 NYC /5.12.06 ALBANY/ 6.1.06 E.RUTHEFORD/ 6.3.06 E. RUTHEFORD/ CAMDEN 6.19.08/ NYC 6.24.08/ NYC 6.25.08/ HARTFORD 6.27.08/ CHICAGO 8.24.09/ PHILLY 10.31.09/ HARTFORD 5.15.10/ NEWARK 5.18.10/ NYC 5.20.10/ CHICAGO 7.19.13/ BROOKLYN 10.18.13/ BROOKLYN 10.19.13/ HARTFORD 10.25.13/ NYC 9.26.15/ 4.8.16 FT. LAUDERDALE/ 4.9.16 MIAMI / 5.1.16 NYC/ 5.2.16 NYC / 8.5.16 BOSTON / 8.7.16 BOSTON/ 8.20.18 CHICAGO/ 9.2.18 BOSTON/ 9.4.18 BOSTON/ 9.18.21 ASBURY PARK

finally, FUCK TICKETMASTER
  • Options
    KlumpieKlumpie Posts: 2,649
    I discovered a couple of weeks ago Tool. I had Aenema already but I never give it a chance to listen it completely. And now it's one of my favorites. I bought today Lateralus, it's a good album but I don't think it's as good as Aenema.
  • Options
    brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    widespread panic.
  • Options
    OutOfBreathOutOfBreath Posts: 1,804
    I discovered Jimi Hendrix a few weeks ago. I have known of him before, heard many of the songs before and give him respect. But only now have I really listened to some of his stuff. Have this greatest hits thing I play a lot these days. That's a late discovery if there ever was...

Peace
    Dan
    "YOU [humans] NEED TO BELIEVE IN THINGS THAT AREN'T TRUE. HOW ELSE CAN THEY BECOME?" - Death

"Every judgment teeters on the brink of error. To claim absolute knowledge is to become monstrous. Knowledge is an unending adventure at the edge of uncertainty." - Frank Herbert, Dune, 1965
  • Options
    Black Crowes and Oasis. I always liked Black Crowes but never had any of their CD's. I found their boxed set at a used CD store for $30 about a year ago and loved it. Now I have all their CD's (including the unreleased ones) and saw them twice this year during their reunion tour. Man, to think of all those great shows that I missed before!

I used to hate Oasis. Then, after reading all the Oasis posts on this board and finding their CD's at the library, I'm really starting to like them. I never realized how great of an album "Be Here Now" is, and I really like "Don't Belive The Truth". I hope they make it back to my neck of the woods sometime soon.
  • Options
    Gotta tell ya, Now that I got SIRIUS Satalite I get to hear so many great songs that I have not heard in years or not at all.

Same here - I just got SIRIUS about a month ago and have been turned on to so many new bands. The Left of Center station is worth the $13 a month.
  • Options
    Ani Difranco, Wilco and Sigur Ros

now I couldn't imagine a world without them.
    If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.
    -Oscar Wilde
  • Options
    I have my first Radiohead CD on the way(The Bends) and still have to get my first White Stripes one. I also just discovered Pearl Jam about a year and half ago but I've tried to catch up quickly.
    Pearl Jam Album Rankings
    ---
    1. Ten
    2. Vs.
    3. Pearl Jam
    4. Binaural
    5. No Code
    6. Riot Act
    7. Yield
    8. Vitalogy

Pearl Jam Song Rankings
    ---
    1. Black
    2. Rearviewmirror
    3. Light Years
    4. Given to Fly
    5. Severed Hand
  • Options
    merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    smarchee wrote:
    I just got into The Flaming Lips. A band I always wanted to buy something of, but never did in all my trips to record stores.

But I have been rewarded lately :)

Great band, each album is different (and they've put some great stuff out recently with the VOID collection and the 5.1 Soft Bulletin). I got into them when Yoshimi came out, I think the 'She Don't Use Jelly' song really knocked me off of them, I kind of wrote them off as a novelty act for a long time. I couldn't have been more wrong. Can't wait to hear the new one, I'm apparently one of the few waiting until the release date.

I didn't really start listening to a lot of Dylan until about 3 years ago. Nothing ever clicked before, but once I got hooked, I really got hooked.
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
  • Options
    Another recent discovery for me right now is Brian Eno. Of course I knew who he was and had appreciation for his production skills with u2, Talking Heads, etc... I even got me a couple years ago his Music for Airports cd, which never clicked with me until recently when coming back late at night from a long work day they played a piece on the radio and I discovered the best way to listen to that album is exactly under those circumstances (tired, with you mind in blank after working 12 hours in a row, driving throught the night when all you wanna do is go to sleep) that means I still don't dig that album.
    But anyway, recently I've been on a deep glam phase (Bowie, NYDolls, etc) and I decided to get his Here Come the Warm Jets cd, which has some rocking songs but still you can perceive the ambient direction he'd later take. Then just a week ago I got the album he did with David Byrne which I remembered listening at a friend's home and really liking it... wow, that record is just flawles, exciting, clever, danceable... is just friggin' perfect. And I also got his new album Another Day on Earth, which is the first with proper songs since a long time ago, very, very enjoyable. Right now I'm keeping my eyes open for Before and After Science, another record of songs.
    I'm still not so sure about getting his more experimental/ambient albums based on my feelings towards Music for Airports. But since I liked that record with David Byrne, which is on the experimental vein, probably I'll be taking a chance with another album of this kind....
    hey, which leads me to invite you to check as well the most recent album by his long time partner Daniel Lanois, the album is called Belladonna and simply takes you high to heaven.
    Mexico C. 12/10/05.

-J. Strummer

• Options
    SathogwaSathogwa Posts: 227
    pearlwax wrote:
    So what music or bands have you recently discovered that have been out there for ages - before you were born even! - but you never gave a chance before now?

I just discovered the late Chris Whitley. Waw man.... Though I know I'll never get to see him play live - he was known for his intensity on stage - I'm glad I gave him a listen.

You?

Chris Whitley is amazing. Good on you for discovering him. Great, great stuff.

I only recently got into the Cure. I used to dismiss them as being this artsy, limp-wrist band. And to some extent that is still true! LOL! I don't like all their stuff. But some of it is really, really good. They can have a lot more rootsiness in them than I previously imagined. They can be dark and moody and atmospheric, but they also have dance music influences, R&B and funk influences, and classic rock and roll influences. Robert Smith can play some mean fucking guitar when he wants, and he has great lyrics.
    Sleep on horseback
    Far moon in a continuing dream
    Steam of roasting tea

--Basho
  • Options
    lou reed just got into him. the dead kennedys got into them spring/summer of 04. i heard of bad religion for years before i listened to them, but that was years ago. pixies were a band i still cant believe were so hard to find. now things are a bit different but when i first got into them it was hard finding stuff. most of the classic rock stuff the who, zeppelin. cat stevens. neil young, etc ive known about since i was a kid. my dad listen to classic rock stations growing up. but i didnt get into these band till i was in my late teens and i had money to spend on cds.
    thing is i wouldnt say these are late discoveries though it seems i find these artist when i need them. if i would have heard dk when i heard br i might have been turned off from punk and that would have been that. pixies came right when i was getting bored with music in a sense and all new music sounded like crap. i needed something fresh and different, something like nothing else. they i remembered kurt mentioning the pixies and i was like might as well buy one of their cds since there is nothing else good. i could write a book about how i discovered bands and the important role they played but i wont.
    maybe its a blessing or a curse but it really seems to me bands find me when i need it.

heres to the band from the 80's that ill hear for the first time next year.
  • Options
    Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Alice in fuckin' chains... too late dammit
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Options
    spnoonespnoone Posts: 625
    the band. i got a scorsese box set as a present last year. i've probably watched the last waltz in its entirety 10-12x since then. and i'm listening to the cd now.
  • Options
    i got into phish after they broke up, the grateful dead after jerry died, the pixies very recently, primus recently.
    "I feel it!"- Eddie, during Alive solo, Chicago 2003
  • Options
    the afghan whigs. i have no clue how i survived this long without them.