Dual Discs?

casper leblanccasper leblanc Posts: 1,246
edited January 2006 in Other Music
What's your experience with it? I'm posting this here cause I think it's the best place for it.

I want to buy Fiona Apple's Extraordinary Machine and the store has it in normal cd-version and on dual disc, including some cool live performances in jazz clubs on dvd. So strictly based on that I'd go for the Dual Disc. It only costs 1,5 euro more as well.

But from what I've read on the Dual Disc site it says: 'to take full advantage of DualDiscs that feature surround sound music, you'll need a 5.1 channel surround system.'

On the disc it also says the cd might not play in all systems.

So basically, is it worth it? I don't have the best sytems for cd or dvd and I'm not planning on buying new ones soon.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• swedeswede Posts: 558
    well - i just know with fiona apple album that the dual disc is worth it cause the video footage is amazing... wicked version of fast as you can.

i just listen to the cd though and not through the dvd disc that has the better quality as my stereo isnt going to be that awesome that it will pick up on it - i dont think nehow.
  • dual disc have a stereo version and a 5.1 mix. the disc is two sided. so the cd side should play in every cd player. sacd are cds mixed for 5.1 and they sometimes dont play in cd players. if you have a 5.1 speaker set up there is no reason not to buy dual discs. you play the dvd side at home and the cd side in the car.
  • moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    For 1.50 more I don't see why not. I have the With Teeth Dual Disc, and all it really added was the video for The Hand That Feeds and the entire album mixed in 5.1 Digital Surround Sound.
  • Thanks for the input. Just wanted to know if it was gonna play on 'normal' cd and/or dvd-players. Looks like I'm getting the dualdisc then.
  • lukin14lukin14 Posts: 287
    pearlwax wrote:
    Thanks for the input. Just wanted to know if it was gonna play on 'normal' cd and/or dvd-players. Looks like I'm getting the dualdisc then.

you probably have to have an ancient cd player for the cd side of a dual disc not to work. . I hate them myself. I prefer the bonus DVD. That way you still have the nice (in some cases) artwork on the disc..

anyway i'm not going to get into it.. too much to do today..
    life is the study of dyin'
    and how to do it right
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • sj_2150sj_2150 Posts: 275
    I
    Hate
    Dual
    Discs
    I wish my grass was emo... so then it would cut itself
    http://www.soundclick.com/Arcticangel
    http://www.soundclick.com/Armadillo
  • mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,741
    sj_2150 wrote:
    I
    Hate
    Dual
    Discs

thank you for your valuable input as to why
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    Dual Discs can be done well (with DVD-A info and videos on one side), or they can be a waste of time. I much prefer DVD-Audio and SACD discs, but it looks like neither are going to win the format war.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Penny453Penny453 Posts: 200
    I wonder if I'm the only one that's having this problem...but the damn dual discs cometimes won't play for me..the cd part. Sometimes my car won't recognize it as a cd...and yes I'm puting it in on the right side..and it's as brand new car and the stereo system is great in it...I just don't get it....
    "And even when I'm right with you I'm so far away"
    thank you for your valuable input as to why
    coz theyre hard to get out of the case, theyre easier to scratch and you cant place em down because they both have info on em
  • gtbrown77gtbrown77 Posts: 140
    Penny453 wrote:
    I wonder if I'm the only one that's having this problem...but the damn dual discs cometimes won't play for me..the cd part. Sometimes my car won't recognize it as a cd...and yes I'm puting it in on the right side..and it's as brand new car and the stereo system is great in it...I just don't get it....

Dual Discs don't conform to standards for audio CDs, and therefore may not play in all CD players. I haven't had trouble with any of my CD players EXCEPT for the car stereo. I think it has to do with how car stereos are made so that they don't skip unless you hit a gigantic pothole or something. For the Dual Discs I have (SOAD, Fear Factory, Mudvayne), I just ripped the audio to my computer and burned a disc to have in the car. I do that with all of my discs anyway, so it wasn't a big deal. Just sucked that I couldn't listen to those discs on the way home from the store, you know!?

Some of the Dual Discs are cool because the DVD side actually has the audio portion in 5.1 Surround. Others (I think all the ones I have) are just enhanced stereo (48,000kbs v. 44,000kbs). I don't know what the difference is really, and I don't care. I like the video component, and that's why I get 'em. But i do like the CD/DVD packages instead, as you get artwork on the disc instead of two shiny silver sides.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."
    -John Lennon
  • libragirllibragirl Posts: 4,632
    I have 2 dual discs fiona apple's extraordinary machine and NIN downward spiral..they are pretty cool
    These cuts are leaving creases. Trace the scars to fit the pieces, to tell the story, you don't need to say a word.
    sj_2150 wrote:
    coz theyre hard to get out of the case, theyre easier to scratch and you cant place em down because they both have info on em

so if you properly handle CD's then there shouldn't be a problem...as to the difficulty with getting them out of the case...the widtch of the center doesnt change between dual disc and regular CD's so thats just luck of the draw if you're having trouble with that
    gtbrown77 wrote:
    Some of the Dual Discs are cool because the DVD side actually has the audio portion in 5.1 Surround. Others (I think all the ones I have) are just enhanced stereo (48,000kbs v. 44,000kbs). I don't know what the difference is really, and I don't care.

the difference between those sample rates are clarity. The higher the sample rate; the higher the clarity because it gathers more info on whats on the disc. Imagine this sentence is being sampled at 48,000 kbs and the exact same sentence below is being sampled at 44,000 kbs.

thedifference betweenthose samplerates areclarityThehigher thesample ratethe higher teclarity becauseit gathersmore infon whatson thediscImaginehis sentenceis being sampleda 44000 kb and the xactsame sentenceabove is beingsampledat 48000kbs

Obviously if you read one out loud versus the other one the higher sample rate would read a lot smoother.
  • BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    http://www.revolutionhometheater.com/howto/sacd/index.html

http://www.audiorevolution.com/equip/dvdavssacd/

http://www.cdfreaks.com/article/95/5 and the following page (6)

http://www.disctronics.co.uk/technology/dvdaudio/dvdaud_audio.htm

http://news.designtechnica.com/talkback32.html (interesting article about the industry's stupidity of not highly promoting the new formats yet)

"In the constantly changing and rapidly advancing world of recording technology, Telarc continually evaluates the latest developments. Ever since producing its first digital recordings in 1978, Telarc's objective has been TO provide the highest quality music reproduction possible.Now With the development OF the Super Audio Compact DiscTM (SACD), which utilizes the extraordinary Direct Stream DigitalTM(DSD) recording technology, the foundation EXISTS TO launch a new era OF high - resolution stereo AND multi - channel surround recordings.

The new Super Audio Compact Disc format, created BY Sony AND Philips, provides unprecedented sound quality IN stereo AND discrete multi - channel surround. TO achieve its sonic performance, SACD employs DSD, a radically new digital encoding technology.DSD samples the musical signal at a phenomenal 2.8 million times a second, 64 times the amount OF a traditional CD.The result IS an extremely smooth digital waveform WITH unparalleled frequency response AND dynamic range.

The potential benefits OF SACD do NOT stop WITH its performance.The SACD format supports several disc configurations, including a Hybrid SACD designed TO be completely compatible WITH the millions OF CD players IN the market today.Hybrid SACDs actually contain two complete layers OF music information.One layer CONTAINS the high density DSD recording that can be played IN the new generation OF stereo AND surround SACD players.The other layer IS a conventional CD layer, which can play ON ANY CD player."
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • gtbrown77gtbrown77 Posts: 140
    the difference between those sample rates are clarity. The higher the sample rate; the higher the clarity because it gathers more info on whats on the disc. Imagine this sentence is being sampled at 48,000 kbs and the exact same sentence below is being sampled at 44,000 kbs.

thedifference betweenthose samplerates areclarityThehigher thesample ratethe higher teclarity becauseit gathersmore infon whatson thediscImaginehis sentenceis being sampleda 44000 kb and the xactsame sentenceabove is beingsampledat 48000kbs

Obviously if you read one out loud versus the other one the higher sample rate would read a lot smoother.

Would this be why the enhanced stereo songs seem to be slower to me? Or am I just hallucinating?
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."
    -John Lennon
    gtbrown77 wrote:
    Would this be why the enhanced stereo songs seem to be slower to me? Or am I just hallucinating?

Hallucinating....or if your DVD player is extremely old or has a crappy AD/DA (analog to digital/digital to analog) converter because it can't convert the right amount of samples in a second. Which in that case instead of 1.00 seconds to get 48,000 samples it might take 1.01 seconds to gain the sample.

Normally its nothing noticable or it comes out distorted. But i've never tried it on a really cheap or outdated DVD player.
    so if you properly handle CD's then there shouldn't be a problem...as to the difficulty with getting them out of the case...the widtch of the center doesnt change between dual disc and regular CD's so thats just luck of the draw if you're having trouble with that
    well why cant they be simple and give you a dvd and a cd? its stupid and NOW they are eliminating MORE music art
  • merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    sj_2150 wrote:
    well why cant they be simple and give you a dvd and a cd? its stupid and NOW they are eliminating MORE music art

Yep, I agree with this. R.E.M. did it with all their later releases recently (1 CD, 1 DVD-A), and so has Beck and the Flaming Lips. I much prefer this to the Dual Disc format. I can keep the DVD at home and not worry about scratching it up.
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball