Options

Kind of Blue - Miles Davis

casper leblanccasper leblanc Posts: 1,246
edited June 2006 in Other Music
This is the album that got me into jazz. Such a classic and such a great album to listen to when you're feeling - well - kind of blue, but not completely down. Especially when starting from Blue in Green.

Anyone feeling kind of blue?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,225
    One of my all time favorite albums. It is the first jazz album i ever purchased and it still may be my favorite. i love the sound scapes he creates with this album. It is so chill.

how can you beat coltrane and davis?? Plus the rest of the band is impressive as well.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    DanimalDanimal Posts: 2,000
    Not feeling Blue. But I am feeling this album!

Gotta love it. It is my chill music!

Coltrane is crazy good so is "The Bird"!
    "I don't believe in PJ fans but I believe there is something, not too sure what." - Thoughts_Arrive

• Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    Love it, and it sounds just AWESOME on SACD.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    that's probably the best jazz album of all time.
  • Options
    yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    It is obviously an awesome album. Love Davis and Coltrane. Right now I'm big into Davis' Jack Johnson Sessions (not the new singer guy, the boxer). Fucking incredible shit.
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
  • Options
    yosi wrote:
    It is obviously an awesome album. Love Davis and Coltrane. Right now I'm big into Davis' Jack Johnson Sessions (not the new singer guy, the boxer). Fucking incredible shit.

If you like that disc, have you checked out In A Silent Way?
  • Options
    BinFrog wrote:
    If you like that disc, have you checked out In A Silent Way?

No I haven't, but I certainly will now. Is it a similar style?
  • Options
    merlin401merlin401 Posts: 216
    I Love this album, but sampled a few other jazz albums and nothing was nearly as good. So this is the only jazz album I ever got (well, actually the Dave Brubek CD that everyone has too).

Can someone give me some recommendations of albums that have this same "feel" and are just as good

Thanks!
    Jones Beach II (2000), Holmdel (2003), Camden 1, East Rutherford II, Gorge I, Gorge II (2006), MSG I, Boston II (2008), Spectrum II, Spectrum III, Spectrum IV (2009), MSG I, MSG II (2010), Prague (2012), Philly I (2013), Philly I, Philly II, Fenway I (2016), Fenway I (2018), MSG (2022)
  • Options
    yosi wrote:
    No I haven't, but I certainly will now. Is it a similar style?

One of my favorites. Depending on my mood it may well be my favorite. It's similar in style without a lot of the loud/harsher sections that JJ has.

It may be the ultimate rainy day album. Such a relaxed mood setting aura throughout the whole thing. It's beautiful. Buy it, you won't regret it. Then come back here and let me know what you think :)
  • Options
    Merlin401 check out these

John coltrane- A Supreme Love
    also by john i enjoy giant steps and blue train

herbie hancock- empyrean isles
    most folks would say maiden voyage is his best i actually prefer empyrean i think it is more unique

Have you tried more miles? I love Round Midnight, Sketches of Spain, Bitches Brew.

Maybe some Lou donaldson I really like Blue Walk

Kenny Burrell also as some good jazz guitar work on midnight blue.

Those are some albums i have really gotten into. i'm sure others will have more helpful suggestions
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    i have been listening to Miles in the Sky lately and really digging "paraphalia"
  • Options
    JOHNNY VS.JOHNNY VS. Posts: 39
    Check these out a) Miles Smiles (from 1966 excellent cd if you like kind of blue)
    b) Moanin' :Art Blakey and the Jazz messengers
    c) Blowin' the Blues Away and/or Song For My Father by the Horace Silver Quintet)
    d)The Sidewinder: Lee Morgan
    e)Tina Brooks : True Blue (great sax player)

These are a good start. Good beginners discs. melodic, fun swingin' uptempo great playin'. And most of these if not all are quite inexpensive on Blue Note RVG remastered series. Miles D is on Columbia. These will make you a jazz fan fro the years 1954 to 1968 or so. best jazz years. Have fun. This is where I began my journey.
  • Options
    yosi wrote:

I love the Jack Johnson Tribute album I have it on vinyl, if you like that then you should check out Bitches Brew, a very important album very influential, not just in Jazz but music full stop, if you like Kinda blue I could recommend John Coltrane Blue Train, similar vibe to Kinda Blue plus it's got Coltranes heavenly sax all over it.
  • Options
    casper leblanccasper leblanc Posts: 1,246
    merlin401 wrote:
    I Love this album, but sampled a few other jazz albums and nothing was nearly as good. So this is the only jazz album I ever got (well, actually the Dave Brubek CD that everyone has too).

Can someone give me some recommendations of albums that have this same "feel" and are just as good

Thanks!

Another amazing Miles Davis album is the soundtrack he made for French movie Ascenseur Pour L'Échafaud. Here's how it went: Miles flew into Paris, Jeanne Morreau was at the bar while the movie was playing, Miles watched it and just started playing. It's amazing. I have the complete version - all takes - and recently bought the dvd of the movie. Still have to watch it though.
    http://www.vervemusicgroup.com/product.aspx?ob=prd&src=list&pid=10492

Also: Miles Davis with horns. I have this one on vinyl. This is Miles Davis playing salon music, very laidback and easy listening:
    http://plosin.com/milesAhead/prlp/prlp7025.html

Pretty mellow as well is the new recordings that surfaced from a young Coltrane and Monk at Carnegie Hall. Really good stuff. http://www.bluenote.com/detail.asp?SelectionID=10459

Always good: Billy Holiday, Nina Simone and Sarah Vaughan if you you like some beautiful jazz vocals.

btw: thanks to everyone for adding, there's stuff in here I don't know yet and will definitly check out.
  • Options
    I picked up A tribute to Jack Johnson and In a Silent Way this weekend.

:)

Two very different yet very good albums. The first song on Jack Johnson is so rock like its awesome.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    PJ_PhilPJ_Phil Posts: 84
    I like Coltrane's stuff alot....Giant Steps, Blue Train to name a few...

Phil
    Shows:

Montreal 2003
    Boston (1&2) 2004
    Montreal 2005
    Ottawa 2005
    Halifax 2005
    Boston (1&2) 2006
    Hartford 2008
    Mansfield (1&2)2008
  • Options
    I love the Jack Johnson Tribute album I have it on vinyl, if you like that then you should check out Bitches Brew, a very important album very influential, not just in Jazz but music full stop, if you like Kinda blue I could recommend John Coltrane Blue Train, similar vibe to Kinda Blue plus it's got Coltranes heavenly sax all over it.

I have Bitches Brew. Awesome obviously.

For all those who have A Tribute to Jack Johnson, try picking up the Jack Johnson Sessions. These are all the sessions that were played leading up ultimately to the Tribute. Its 5 CD's of takes and other songs all of jams with people who played on Tribute. If you like Tribute, this cd is the same, but about 5 times longer. FUCKING INTENSE.