The Philly Who Show

PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
edited September 2006 in Other Music
I’m swamped here at work, but just wanted to give you a quick synopsis of the show. IT WAS AWESOME. They had some technical problems, but for me it just added to the show, because it adds for interesting exchanges between Roger and Pete. Good stuff :D

They did the new 7 song mini opera that will be coming out here in October. It sounded really good.

The great thing about this particular show was that it was so unpredictable. With new material out for the first time in decades there were a lot of surprises as far as other material that they covered. They pulled out Cry if You Want from It’s Hard – I’ve never seen that live, so that was a REAL treat.

They did the regulars Baba, Won't Get Fooled Again, Who Are You. Some other nice treats were Relay, Real Good Looking Boy and The Seeker.

But the highlight of the evening for me was the montage of Tommy that they did – Pinball Wizard, Amazing Journey leading into Sparks and then the Overture and into Listening to You. IT WAS INCREDIBLE. I could have listened to that for the rest of my life.

Zak Starkey is a lot of fun to watch on the drums too. He cracks me up.

Our seats were GREAT and we all had a great time.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• ii44ii44 Posts: 430
    They played "Man In A Purple Dress" on Letterman last night. I was really surprised: Pete and Roger by themselves, played acoustically. Pretty much the opposite of their last American TV appearance 29(?) years ago.

Did Roger know he was looking directly into the camera? It was a bit distracting.

New album "Endless Wire" comes out on the 31st. If its anything like the Wire & Glass mini-oprea, the Who are going to re-establish a lot of the credibility they lost in the 80s.

http://www.petetownshend.co.uk/diary/display.cfm?id=391&zone=pr
  • kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    ii44 wrote:
    They played "Man In A Purple Dress" on Letterman last night. I was really surprised: Pete and Roger by themselves, played acoustically. Pretty much the opposite of their last American TV appearance 29(?) years ago.

Did Roger know he was looking directly into the camera? It was a bit distracting.

New album "Endless Wire" comes out on the 31st. If its anything like the Wire & Glass mini-oprea, the Who are going to re-establish a lot of the credibility they lost in the 80s.

http://www.petetownshend.co.uk/diary/display.cfm?id=391&zone=pr

damn i missed it. must have been all that ibuprofen i took for my back....

pureandeasy, thank you so much for your review, and the t. can't wait to see ;)
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~
  • my mind tore us apart"

i'm really glad you had a good time, Marsha. i just saw that roger and pete will be playing at the arena on campus here in december, but i'll be back in los angeles then.
    :/

hope you'll have as much fun at Bridge with friends from all over converging in the bay area!

love ya.

-scott
  • my mind tore us apart"

i'm really glad you had a good time, Marsha. i just saw that roger and pete will be playing at the arena on campus here in december, but i'll be back in los angeles then.
    :/

hope you'll have as much fun at Bridge with friends from all over converging in the bay area!

love ya.

-scott

i'm counting on YOU to be one of those friends Scott!!! PLEEEEEEEEEEEEASE, it's been too long since we've seen each other.

I missed the letterman thing last night too, they did that song too. They ended the show with just Pete and Roger on stage - Pete with the acoustic guitar. It was sweet.
    i love i can't reach you!!! what a great song... ;)
  • iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    I love the Who!!!!!!!

glad you enjoyed them, pureandeasy. I cannot imagine you ever NOT enjoying them :)
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • Just got tickets on ebay for the Saturday night Who show in Boston. Great seats for cheap...Loge, with a price tag of $115 each - I got 2 ticks for $90, including overnight shipping

Can't wait.

How is the opening band?
    coming up

MSG 1
    Ringo the next night in Boston
    Hartford
    Boston 1 & 2

hell's yeah...
  • i'm counting on YOU to be one of those friends Scott!!! PLEEEEEEEEEEEEASE, it's been too long since we've seen each other.

I missed the letterman thing last night too, they did that song too. They ended the show with just Pete and Roger on stage - Pete with the acoustic guitar. It was sweet.

they played I Cant Reach You? really? i always wanted to hear that one but never got it in the 2 show of theirs that i've been to...

i REALLY wish i could make it out there. but i'm in Ohio now and i'm having some money issues, as many new students do. wish i could see all my friends next month.
    :(
    but DO have fun for me in my place. its going to be amazing. i'll be thinking of all of you.

:)
  • Well, Scott, I'm still holding out that you might be able to do it, but i understand if you can't

priorities - and I guess school is a priority over PJ :D

cats, it was AWESOME

i didn't see the opening band, I didn't even know they had one until right before the show when we were at dinner

But the Who themselves, AWESOME

worth every single penny
  • iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    I'm bad, I never checked their tour schedule to see if they are coming around here. Oh well my life is hectic now with two birthdays to celebrate Monday and Tuesday and I'm going away to NY for a wedding.

I need to pull out my one and only WHO cd :D
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • iluvcats wrote:
    I need to pull out my one and only WHO cd :D

no, you need to go out and buy more :) you won't regret it

it's nice to see you again, haven't seen you around lately
  • ii44ii44 Posts: 430
    i'm counting on YOU to be one of those friends Scott!!! PLEEEEEEEEEEEEASE, it's been too long since we've seen each other.

I recorded it onto a DVD, I'm not quite sure how I'd upload it.

I'm sure it'll hit you tube in a couple of days. I wish they were playing somewhere near I live.
    thank you pureandeasy, for my t-shirt. i love it!!!!!!