So who likes Ska?

OceansJennyOceansJenny Posts: 3,394
edited July 2006 in Other Music
Yes, before you say anything, I know you like Sublime, so does half the world, but how about other ska?

I've been recently turned on to Catch 22, Streetlight Manifesto, and Reel Big Fish, and LOVE them all!! Definitely recommend to ska fans!!

Anyone else got any good Ska bands?
DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• mrwalkerbmrwalkerb Posts: 1,015
    compliments of Dr. David Thorpe and somethingawful.com

Why do people look at me funny when I tell them I like ska?
    -Pilkington

Because you’re wearing a stupid fucking checkered fedora and suspenders and you listen to the worst music ever in history.

Am I justified in hitting a person in the face only because they like ska music?
    -brohymn

Violence is never justified. But yes
    "I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
    Chris Cornell

http://www.myspace.com/mrwalkerb
  • JPS79JPS79 Posts: 148
    I was gonna say Reel Big Fish but you already got that one, veering off subject but I was real suprised to hear some RBF the other night at work. Now back to the task at hand, maybe some early No Doubt stuff like before Tragic Kingdom.
    Seems the more you make
    equals the loneliness you get
  • Alone.Alone. Posts: 54
    never been a fan of horn sections...
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    You need to check out some real ska first like Desmond Dekker (rip), then try some of the original two tone ska bands The Specials and The English Beat are about the best, then theres also Madness(not a fan personally but hey ho) as well.
    Then modern ska, ska/punk, etc, etc I think you will greatly enjoy:

Mighty Mighty Bosstones
    Less Than Jake
    NoFx (early stuff was very ska influenced)
    Rancid ^^
    Operation Ivy
    MXPX
    Mustard Plug
    Link 80
    Capdown
    Lightyear
    and the greatest of them all KING F!$%ING PRAWN:)
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • spatspat Posts: 644
    love ska :) loved it more back like in the mid 90's but still catch myself listening to all the old bands. i just picked up less than jakes new album which is decent. also goldfingers first couple albums are classics but the past few years they've gotten kinda poppy and redundant. also good call on catch 22! leaving here is one of my favorite songs. also check out the mad caddies, songs like road rash, drinking for 11, no se, and distress are all great songs!
    My favorite Pearl Jam song: "Corporate Greed Boat Asshole Behind a Counter in the Oval Office"
  • jaygreen12jaygreen12 Posts: 166
    rx bandits
    6/03/06-East Rutherford II

The One and Only
  • r1versr1vers Posts: 244
    aquabatssss
    "Last time I think we played that song here was like, a long time ago, and there was a bonfire in the back and people were like throwing each other into it...very exciting days but a huge fucking relief that that's not how it is tonight..." Ed Irvine Night 1 2003, after Deep
  • jaygreen12jaygreen12 Posts: 166
    This band isn't ska but they opened for reel big fish....LUCKY BOYS CONFUSION. this band is truly underrated.
    6/03/06-East Rutherford II

The One and Only
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    The Untouchables
  • Yes The Untouchables. I just listened to their song Lebanon in light of whats going on. As far as other ska, I never considered Sublime Ska. My vote is for Madness.. "One step Beyond!!!!!!"
  • VINNY GOOMBAVINNY GOOMBA Posts: 1,816
    Not really a Ska fan, but I can recommend one band: Perfect Thyroid. Check 'em out on myspace: myspace.com/perfectthyroid

They're part ska, funk, and punk or SKUNK as they call it. Really really great band, and if you're ever in the NY area, you gotta check out their live show.
  • I hate all that godawful faux-ska shit that popped up in the US, in the nineties. However, if you want to hear great, real, first-wave ska and rocksteady, buy Tighten Up, volumes one and two. You can hear samples here:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0000011GM/202-1891038-0976615?v=glance&n=229816
  • MCGMCG Posts: 780
    Then modern ska, ska/punk, etc, etc I think you will greatly enjoy:

NoFx (early stuff was very ska influenced)
    Rancid ^^

NoFX and Rancid? Have you even heard their early stuff? You don't get much less ska than Rancid's first record. These bands are punk rock. They have the occasional song with the 'ska chord' put to use but you are way off the mark.
    Which came first,
    the bad idea or me befallen by it?
  • brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    ska rocks.
  • merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    Yes The Untouchables. I just listened to their song Lebanon in light of whats going on. As far as other ska, I never considered Sublime Ska. My vote is for Madness.. "One step Beyond!!!!!!"

Yeah, I'd have to jump on the Madness bandwagon too. I saw them last year when they did a short tour of the west coast. First time I'd seen them since '86(!) when it was a double bill with them and Fishbone (who I don't think have been mentioned yet). Still a great act live, lots of fun.
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
  • U2rocksU2rocks Posts: 89
    whatever happened to Save Ferris?