Tool at Street Scene

AmentsChickAmentsChick Posts: 6,969
edited August 2006 in Other Music
Fans Injured During Street Scene Concert
Concertgoers Crushed Against Stage During Tool's Performance

POSTED: 8:32 am PDT August 6, 2006
UPDATED: 11:53 am PDT August 7, 2006

Email This Story | Print This Story

SAN DIEGO -- More than dozen people were hurt outside Qualcomm Stadium as concertgoers pushed toward a stage where the rock band Tool was playing at Street Scene, it was reported Sunday.

The injuries occurred at about 10:45 p.m. Saturday, and about 15 people were taken to hospitals to be checked out, fire Battalion Chief Chris Brainard told the San Diego Union-Tribune.

The crush of fans grew so great that midway through the band's second song, lead singer Maynard James Keenan stopped singing and said: "Step back so you don't get trampled. It's just rock."

Keenan repeatedly implored the crowd to step back, even before a uniformed city official conferred with him on stage.

"If you all take a few steps back we can keep playing," Keenan told the audience. The crowd moved back.

The injured were removed from the audience, and the band continued playing, wrapping up around midnight, the newspaper reported.

At Street Scene in 2004, a Friday night show featuring the band AFI drew such a large crowd that a metal barrier near the front of the stage collapsed. Fans piled up, and some were taken to hospitals.

The two-day Street Scene festival drew more than 37,000 people Saturday night.

Other headliners included Snoop Dogg and The Yeah Yeah Yeahs.

After two decades, Street Scene outgrew its downtown venue. Last year, it moved to the Qualcomm Stadium parking lot in Mission Valley, which has 2.5 million square feet of space to accommodate its multiple stages.

If you were one of the dozens injured or witnessed what happened, please contact the 10News Assignment Desk at 619-237-6386.
Copyright 2006 by 10News.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

http://www.10news.com/news/9635965/detail.html
This is the greatest band in the world -- Ben Harper

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• mrwalkerbmrwalkerb Posts: 1,015
    All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

tsk tsk
    "I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
    Chris Cornell

http://www.myspace.com/mrwalkerb
  • AmentsChickAmentsChick Posts: 6,969
    mrwalkerb wrote:
    tsk tsk

HA!!! :D

I'm such a fucking rebel.
    This is the greatest band in the world -- Ben Harper

• I was there... I was right in the center of the action. It was pretty frightening. I saw someone get pulled out that was not moving... Me and a couple of other guys managed to push the crowd back to make enough space so the people could get pulled out. To make it worse, while everyone was getting pulled out, a bunch of idiots kept pushing forward to try and get closer.

I actually had a different thread going about it (http://forums.pearljam.com/showthread.php?t=210251&highlight=street+scene), but that was before I heard that people were actually hospitalized.