Options

New East Coast arts & music festival

thankyougrandmathankyougrandma Posts: 1,182
edited June 2006 in Other Music
Osheaga: one more summer festival joins lineup
Labour Day Weekend. Music and arts event will focus on indie performers

T'CHA DUNLEVY, The Gazette
Published: Wednesday, June 14, 2006
Just when you thought we couldn't cram another festival into our summer, along comes Osheaga. Billing itself a "music and arts festival," the two-day event brings an impressive and eclectic roster of talent to Jean Drapeau Park on Sept. 2 and 3, Labour Day weekend.

Ben Harper, Sonic Youth, Damian Marley, Wolf Parade, k-os, Dinosaur Jr., Clap Your Hands Say Yeah, Malajube, Lady Sovereign, the Stills, Joseph Arthur, Islands, Dobacaracol, Starsailor and Bell Orchestre are among the acts already confirmed, with more to come.

"We've been talking about it for a long time," said Nick Farkas, concert buyer for Gillett Entertainment Group, which is presenting the event.

"I've been going to a lot of festivals like this over the years, and it just seemed like there was nothing on the East Coast."

Montreal's rise to prominence on the indie music scene has lent credibility to the endeavour, giving Farkas an edge in wooing certain acts.

"People love Montreal," he said. "Let's not kid ourselves - that makes it attractive (to bands), but it's hard to get people to take a chance on a first-year fest."

Osheaga's lineup consists of underground or "club-level acts" that, put together, "make something bigger," according to Farkas. It fits with Montreal music fans' discerning tastes, he continued, though he hopes the event will have a broad appeal.

"It's a yearly festival, in Montreal, that celebrates music in a Montreal kind of way. But I'd love for it to become a destination event. That's the goal - to get people talking about it, and coming from all over (to attend)."

Early bird tickets cost $80 and go on sale Saturday at noon at Admission. Single day passes will be made available at a later date. Call (514) 790-1245 or go to http://www.admission.com. For more information on the festival, go to http://www.osheaga.com

tdunlevy@thegazette.canwest.com

© The Gazette (Montreal) 2006
"L'homme est né libre, et partout il est dans les fers"
-Jean-Jacques Rousseau
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    thankyougrandmathankyougrandma Posts: 1,182
    Confirm so far:

Ben Harper and the Innocent Criminals
    The Flaming Lips
    Sonic Youth
    Damian “Jr. Gong” Marley
    Wolf Parade
    K-OS
    Clap Your Hands Say Yeah
    Dinosaur Jr.
    Joseph Arthur
    Malajube
    The Stills
    Lady Sovereign
    Islands
    DobaCaracol
    Starsailor
    Grace Potter and the Nocturnals
    the Magic Numbers
    World Party
    James Chance & The Original Contortions.
    Bush Tetras
    Final Fantasy
    Errase Errata
    We Are Wolves
    The Hidden Cameras
    Kiss Me Deadly
    Duchess Says
    Call Me Poupée
    The Hushpuppies
    Herman Dune
    "L'homme est né libre, et partout il est dans les fers"
    -Jean-Jacques Rousseau