Julie Doiron - Woke Myself Up

thankyougrandmathankyougrandma Posts: 1,182
edited January 2007 in Other Music
Julie Doiron latest release is the first great album of 2007, what makes it special is the contribution of her ex-band, one of the best Canadian bands ever (tragically what? :) ), Eric's Trip.

I love the album, go buy it... now... go go...
"L'homme est né libre, et partout il est dans les fers"
-Jean-Jacques Rousseau
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Todd76Todd76 Posts: 1,469
    Holy crap!!!!! A Julie Doiron/Eric's Trip mention on this board that wasnt initiated by me ;) ..... I LOVED Eric's Trip - such personal and heartfelt music.....still have my hopes up for another reunion tour - saw them last time they got back together and it was incredible.

I read a review of this album recently that said it was a amazing - a bit of a return to her ET/Broken Girl sound!!!!! Very exciting - I have enjoyed all of her solo stuff (esp Lonliest In The Morning) but her last couple albums were a little too "Adult Contemporary"....can't wait to get this one
    In my world everyone is a pony,
    and they all eat rainbows and pooh butterflies!
  • Todd76 wrote:
    Holy crap!!!!! A Julie Doiron/Eric's Trip mention on this board that wasnt initiated by me ;) ..... I LOVED Eric's Trip - such personal and heartfelt music.....still have my hopes up for another reunion tour - saw them last time they got back together and it was incredible.

I read a review of this album recently that said it was a amazing - a bit of a return to her ET/Broken Girl sound!!!!! Very exciting - I have enjoyed all of her solo stuff (esp Lonliest In The Morning) but her last couple albums were a little too "Adult Contemporary"....can't wait to get this one

I agree about her solo album, it sound a bit too contemporary, this one is more... how can i say, indie rock? Anyway it's her best effort so far in my opinion, and if it can mean a Eric's Trip reunion in a near future, damn i'll be happy :)
    -Jean-Jacques Rousseau
  • direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    Hey guys! Something tells me we're gonna be the only three people posting in this thread, but that's ok. I picked up Julie's new record a couple days ago, and it's fantastic! It's great to see Eric's Trip reunited as her backing band, and the album is definitely more rockin' than her previous efforts. I was just reading the liner notes and I noticed that the record was also produced by Rick White. Very cool.

I should also add that this gets my early vote for album cover of the year. The artwork is beautiful!
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
    I was going to say in my first post that this thread is doomed to quickly drop off the face of the earth.....I knew it would get 1 more response from our other Canadian music aficionado

....too bad more people won't check this album out - both your positive reviews have me very excited!!!!
    *bump*

Just keepin' the thread alive.
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
    Speaking of Julie & Eric's Trip, I think I'm gonna dust off "Love Tara" and give it a spin today. I haven't listened to that album in years.

-Tom Waits
  • direwolf74 wrote:
    Speaking of Julie & Eric's Trip, I think I'm gonna dust off "Love Tara" and give it a spin today. I haven't listened to that album in years.

same here, although here's another one i only own in tape format. I'll have to find and buy their cd's.
    -Jean-Jacques Rousseau
    direwolf74 wrote:

ENJOY my friend - it is a classic!!!!!!

Eric's Trip is still in fairly heavy rotation for me - I got an 80GB iPod for Christmas and loaded all 8000 songs in my music collection on it....Eric's Trip pops up quite often as I own all 9 of their albums (including every EP they released) + 4 Julie/Broken Girl albums, 1 Moonsocket album, 4 Elevator/Elevator Through/Elevator to Hell albums and 1 Rick White album.....needless to say I was/am a HUGE fan
  • thanks for the post thankyougrandma...i will have to check that out. i actually preferred elevator to hell and the various forms of the name to eric's trip, but still an eric's trip reunion would be bad ass. it's cool to hear they are still involved in each other's projects.
  • angryyoungmanangryyoungman Medford, NY Posts: 1,028
    Todd76 wrote:
    ENJOY my friend - it is a classic!!!!!!

Eric's Trip is still in fairly heavy rotation for me - I got an 80GB iPod for Christmas and loaded all 8000 songs in my music collection on it....Eric's Trip pops up quite often as I own all 9 of their albums (including every EP they released) + 4 Julie/Broken Girl albums, 1 Moonsocket album, 4 Elevator/Elevator Through/Elevator to Hell albums and 1 Rick White album.....needless to say I was/am a HUGE fan
    ok, i checked out your thread about julie doiron and eric's trip. . .and OLP still sucks.
    i have wished for so long, how i wish for you today
    JEFFREY ROSS ROGERS 1975-2002

9.10.98 NYC / 8.23.00 JONES BEACH /4.30.03 UNIONDALE / 7.9.03 NYC /5.12.06 ALBANY/ 6.1.06 E.RUTHEFORD/ 6.3.06 E. RUTHEFORD/ CAMDEN 6.19.08/ NYC 6.24.08/ NYC 6.25.08/ HARTFORD 6.27.08/ CHICAGO 8.24.09/ PHILLY 10.31.09/ HARTFORD 5.15.10/ NEWARK 5.18.10/ NYC 5.20.10/ CHICAGO 7.19.13/ BROOKLYN 10.18.13/ BROOKLYN 10.19.13/ HARTFORD 10.25.13/ NYC 9.26.15/ 4.8.16 FT. LAUDERDALE/ 4.9.16 MIAMI / 5.1.16 NYC/ 5.2.16 NYC / 8.5.16 BOSTON / 8.7.16 BOSTON/ 8.20.18 CHICAGO/ 9.2.18 BOSTON/ 9.4.18 BOSTON/ 9.18.21 ASBURY PARK

finally, FUCK TICKETMASTER
  • Tek MoneyTek Money Posts: 642
    I just started downloading this album!

I know it sounds bad... but I download everything before I buy. I like to be sure of what I am getting myself into. I like to make good investments :)

I will let you know what I think once I listen to it.
    Cock Fight.
  • This thread deserve a bump up, cause this album is really great...
    -Jean-Jacques Rousseau