Oh can’t you see what love has done
To every broken heart
Oh can’t you see what love has done
For every heart that cries

Love left a window in the skies
And to love I raphsodize

Oh can’t you see
Had my eyes peeled both wide open, and I got a glimpse
Of my innocence... got back my inner sense...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• when is this coming out?
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,682
    when is this coming out?
    Its on the greatest hits package "U2-18" to be released on 11/21.
    Single to be released in January I believe.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • The band have announced the eighteen tracks that will feature on 'U218 Singles' , the definitive 'best of' set for release on November 20th - including details of the brand new studio tracks produced by Rick Rubin at Abbey Road.
    It will be released on CD and 12” vinyl and as a full length DVD featuring the single promo videos. The collection will also be available as a limited edition CD with a bonus DVD of 10 tracks recorded live in Milan, Italy on the Vertigo//05 tour.
    U218 Singles is the first single disc collection to span the band’s career from Boy (1980) to How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb (2004). Also included are two tracks recorded last month with producer Rick Rubin at Abbey Road Studios in London: The Saints Are Coming (with Green Day) and a new, previously unreleased track Window In The Skies.

The full tracklisting is as follows:

1. Beautiful Day
    2. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
    3. Pride (in The Name Of Love)
    4. With Or Without You
    5. Vertigo
    6. New Year’s Day
    7. Mysterious Ways
    8. Stuck In A Moment You Can’t Get Out Of
    9. Where The Streets Have No Name
    10. Sweetest Thing
    11. Sunday Bloody Sunday
    12. One
    13. Desire
    14. Walk On
    15. Elevation
    16. Sometimes You Can’t Make It On Your Own
    17. The Saints Are Coming
    18. Window In The Skies
    Had my eyes peeled both wide open, and I got a glimpse
    Of my innocence... got back my inner sense...
  • wow, what a rhyme scheme, a monkey couldn't have thought of it, no he couldn't have.
    8/23/00, 8/24/00, 8/25/00, 11/14/02(letterman), 4/30/03, 6/6/03, 7/6/03, 7/8/03, 7/9/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/1/04, 3/18/05, 9/2/05, 9/4/05, 9/15/05, 9/16/05, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 5/5/06, 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 5/22/06, 5/24/06, 5/25/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 7/6/06
  • TheHotRock wrote:
    wow, what a rhyme scheme, a monkey couldn't have thought of it, no he couldn't have.

LOL - I can already play this song in my head and I haven't even heard it.

It sounds like 'Elevation.'
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
    m0jorisen wrote:
    U218 Singles is the first single disc collection to span the band’s career from Boy (1980) to How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb (2004).
    Interesting the press release mentions spanning from Boy to HTDAAB, yet there are no Boy tracks (or October) on the release.

ATYCLB is way overemphasized with 4 tracks of the 16 old tunes.
    Poncier's "U2 18": (listed chronologically, Larry and Adam can rework the order later)

1. Out of Control
    2. Rejoice
    3. Like a Song
    4. Electric Co. (UABRS live version)
    5. 11 O'Clock Tick Tock (UABRS live version)
    6. Wire
    7. The Unforgettable Fire
    8. Bullet the Blue Sky
    9. Exit
    10. All I want is You
    11. Acrobat
    12. Until the End of the World
    13. Zooropa
    14. Mofo
    15. Please (Single version)
    16. Kite
    17. New York
    18. Crumbs From Your Table

Now we've encompassed all the albums in fitting fashion.
  • IgottagoIgottago Posts: 483
    Its time for these boys to pack it in. Let Bono be a politician, he's better at that than writing songs these days. I'm sure they will keep making money by releasing more and more "definitive" hits packages.
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    Poncier wrote:
    Interesting the press release mentions spanning from Boy to HTDAAB, yet there are no Boy tracks (or October) on the release.

ATYCLB is way overemphasized with 4 tracks of the 16 old tunes.

it's a greatest hits package. name one song that was a bigger hit from boy or october than those 4 songs. the only possibility is i will follow, or maybe gloria. but most people dont know those songs and they dont get played on radio like other U2 hits. this is designed for the casual U2 fan whose only caught on to them in the last few years... the 16 yr old kid who chiefly only knows the recent hits and their biggest and best known songs. i think it's a pretty reasonable tracklist for that market. ATYCLB was a huge hit and had some huge singles. why wouldnt they be on this compilation?
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    Poncier wrote:
    Poncier's "U2 18": (listed chronologically, Larry and Adam can rework the order later)

1. Out of Control
    2. Rejoice
    3. Like a Song
    4. Electric Co. (UABRS live version)
    5. 11 O'Clock Tick Tock (UABRS live version)
    6. Wire
    7. The Unforgettable Fire
    8. Bullet the Blue Sky
    9. Exit
    10. All I want is You
    11. Acrobat
    12. Until the End of the World
    13. Zooropa
    14. Mofo
    15. Please (Single version)
    16. Kite
    17. New York
    18. Crumbs From Your Table

Now we've encompassed all the albums in fitting fashion.
    Now that's a greatest hits package.:)
    it's a greatest hits package. name one song that was a bigger hit from boy or october than those 4 songs. the only possibility is i will follow, or maybe gloria. but most people dont know those songs and they dont get played on radio like other U2 hits. this is designed for the casual U2 fan whose only caught on to them in the last few years... the 16 yr old kid who chiefly only knows the recent hits and their biggest and best known songs. i think it's a pretty reasonable tracklist for that market. ATYCLB was a huge hit and had some huge singles. why wouldnt they be on this compilation?
    Yeah but it's supposed to encompass their entire career so Follow and Gloria should be there. They can remove Sweetest and Make it on your own.
  • I was bored yesterday, so I went and hung out on the U2 message board. Let me tell you something....WE ARE SOOO MUCH BETTER!
    "F**K you, I have laundry to do" -ed
    humanlight wrote:
    I was bored yesterday, so I went and hung out on the U2 message board. Let me tell you something....WE ARE SOOO MUCH BETTER!
    I say the same thing when I go over to the DMB board. I haven't been on U2's in while. Maybe I'll go check it out.
  • i dont know if i would have included sometimes you can't make it on your own on there. was that even a huge hit for them?? what about 'i will follow,' or 'hold me, thrill me, kiss me, kill me.'
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 MSG I, Fenway I, Fenway II
  • I love U2 very, very much, but I really can't stand "Hold me, thrill me, kiss me, kill me"
    i dont know if i would have included sometimes you can't make it on your own on there. was that even a huge hit for them?? what about 'i will follow,' or 'hold me, thrill me, kiss me, kill me.'
  • Don't take this wrong because I love U2 and they're right behind PJ for me.....but why the fuck do they need another greatest hits record? The two double-disc greatest hits compilations they already released (not too long ago) isn't enough for now?

I also dislike the idea of putting two new tracks on a greatest hits record. A)Many people who already own all but those two songs will buy this record just for two songs, which I think is kinda like shitting on your fans (but then again so is charging $200+ for concert tickets) and B)What if those songs absolutely suck ass? Then you've got something called 'greatest hits' that is wrapped up with a couple of shitty songs.
  • dharma69dharma69 Posts: 1,275
    cutback wrote:
    I say the same thing when I go over to the DMB board. I haven't been on U2's in while. Maybe I'll go check it out.
    I'm there all the time....but not on the free side....

All the real fun is on the member side!

And we've been loving/digging/trashing/making fun of that song for 2 days!

Good times.
    "I'm here to see Pearl Jam."- Bono

...signed...the token black Pearl Jam fan.

FaceSpace
  • cutback wrote:

DMB?

I know, the U2 board is so messy looking. There are these awkard pictures, and no one posts. You may go like an hour before something new pops up. For them to be such a "popular" band, the fans are really not representing.

Go Jamily, go jamily, go jamily
    "F**K you, I have laundry to do" -ed
    I understand the reasoning for the tracklist, I just think it was silly to specifically mention "Boy" in the press release when the album is conspicuous by its absence.
    humanlight wrote:
    DMB?

I know, the U2 board is so messy looking. There are these awkard pictures, and no one posts. You may go like an hour before something new pops up. For them to be such a "popular" band, the fans are really not representing.

Go Jamily, go jamily, go jamily
    Well I'm back. Boy that place sucks and I think it's because of the format. It's unreadable. I hate black backrounds.

No love for DMB? That's cool.
  • dharma69dharma69 Posts: 1,275
    Don't take this wrong because I love U2 and they're right behind PJ for me.....but why the fuck do they need another greatest hits record? The two double-disc greatest hits compilations they already released (not too long ago) isn't enough for now?

I also dislike the idea of putting two new tracks on a greatest hits record. A)Many people who already own all but those two songs will buy this record just for two songs, which I think is kinda like shitting on your fans (but then again so is charging $200+ for concert tickets) and B)What if those songs absolutely suck ass? Then you've got something called 'greatest hits' that is wrapped up with a couple of shitty songs.
    This has been a MAJOR topic of discussion for a while now and it basically comes down to two things:

~"Best Of's" find a new audience for the artists. Then that new audience will backtrack to discover what they've really missed all those years. It's simple brilliance not meant for you or I who can probably sing every song from The Unforgettable Fire.

~Their previous record label has dibs on this. It's more the record label's call; more a legal obligation for U2.

And there you go.
    "I'm here to see Pearl Jam."- Bono

...signed...the token black Pearl Jam fan.

FaceSpace
    Don't take this wrong because I love U2 and they're right behind PJ for me.....but why the fuck do they need another greatest hits record? The two double-disc greatest hits compilations they already released (not too long ago) isn't enough for now?

ill agree with point B. i hate that crap. greatest hits albums should be a nice, concise collection for fans who maybe missed the hype to get a sampling of the band's biggest tracks. so it should be those tracks. a cd for people who only want the hits or dont know the band. it's annoying when people stick in new songs. if the new songs are so damn good, release them on a single.

pearl jam's greatest hits was perfect. just a compilation of singles and radio hits. no frills, no gimmicks. and it's a fantastic and nearly flawless retrospective.

it bothers me more for wrecking the continuity of the album than anything else.
  • I love U2 very, very much, but I really can't stand "Hold me, thrill me, kiss me, kill me"

Really? It's one of my favorites from them because it's so dark, and unlike anything in their catalogue, very unique sounding song.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 MSG I, Fenway I, Fenway II
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,838
    i dont know if i would have included sometimes you can't make it on your own on there. was that even a huge hit for them?? what about 'i will follow,' or 'hold me, thrill me, kiss me, kill me.'

Just goes to show how good they are throughout their whole career.
    Really? It's one of my favorites from them because it's so dark, and unlike anything in their catalogue, very unique sounding song.

im with you there. love that song.