Goin to see LIVE sunday nite NY

Dirty FrankDirty Frank Posts: 37
edited June 2007 in Other Music
Whats goin on guys? Though nothing beats PJ at all, no one ever will, I had the chance to see LIVE a few years back and was amazed. I have most of thier albums since Mental Jewelry. I do have to say they are probably one of the most underated bands out there. They are much like PJ in the way they give off high energy at thier shows. I just wanted to mention I am seeing them this sunday nite at the Nokia theater with Collective Soul (another great band) in times square. Should be a good nite. Anyone else possibly goin? If not you should def check these guys out...I am pretty pumped.
Randalls Island II, NY 96',East Rutherford, NJ 98',Jones Beach I, NY 00',Philadelphia, PA 03'
Nassau Col., NY 03',MSG I and II, NY 03',Hershey, PA 03',Holmdel, NJ 03',Philadelphia, PA 05'
Boston I, 06', East Rutherford I, II 06',MSG I, II 08', Philadelphia, PA III 09', Newark, NJ 10', MSG II 10'
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• stpmattbstpmattb Posts: 956
    I'm seeing them on Friday here in Virginia. They are playing a little fair here and tickets were only $7.50!
  • CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    i think they're more interested in record-sales than making meaningful music - but that's just from my experience.
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
    I've seen them close to 10 times, and I always find that their shows are hit or miss. I've seen some AWESOME shows, and I've seen some that left me wondering what the hell was that. Hopefully Friday is an awesome show ;)
  • chimpatchimpat Posts: 590
    stpmattb wrote:
    I've seen them close to 10 times, and I always find that their shows are hit or miss. I've seen some AWESOME shows, and I've seen some that left me wondering what the hell was that. Hopefully Friday is an awesome show ;)

I totally agree. That said, "White Discussion" is one of my favorite songs of alltime.
    "This is about as perfect a crowd as you can get. I hate to placate, I ain't placating...." - EV, 9/29/96

• iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    stpmattb wrote:
    I'm seeing them on Friday here in Virginia. They are playing a little fair here and tickets were only $7.50!

who is the opener? I know 23rainydays tried out for the battle of the bands to see who would open up for LIVE for a festival in fairfax. Is that the Fairfax festival that you are talking about? I never heard who won the battle on Friday before Memorial Day.
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • blackngoldblackngold Posts: 264
    stpmattb wrote:

is this in Fairfax?
    Alexandria checking in here
    blackngold wrote:
    is this in Fairfax?
    Alexandria checking in here

Yup!
  • CJMST3K wrote:
    i think they're more interested in record-sales than making meaningful music - but that's just from my experience.

REALLY? I think they've gotten stranger and less mainstream in recent years.

I love Live. The Distance To Here is my favorite album ever, by anyone. I also really love Throwing Copper and Secret Samadhi. All the other ones have at least a handful of songs I like (I think "She" on Birds Of Prey is one of their true hidden gems).

I've seen them 4 times. They are amazing in concert, but they tend to both play too short and have predictable set lists.

I've also seen Collective Soul twice. They are great live as well. I was debating about going to the Live / Collective Soul / Counting Crows show here, but it is on a Wednesday and like 45 miles from my house (plus I work 28 miles in the other direction.)
    I love my female wife...
    we sit around and wonder exactly why our marriage should feel threatened by gay marriage
  • Atomic PunkAtomic Punk Posts: 2,941
    stpmattb wrote:

exact same experience here. Most of the best ones were early on in their career. Out of 10 shows I have seen everything from a '10' performance out of them to a '1' performance...
  • chris05chris05 Posts: 347
    I seen them once in 2001 and it was an awesome show.
    Who cares if the world is going down the toilet? Eddie Vedder got his mojo back!
  • patrickredeyespatrickredeyes Posts: 8,834
    Saw them last August. Always a fun time seeing them. They do put on a great show. Have fun :D
  • kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,319
    I was hugely dissapointed with Birds of Pray, and I haven't listened to that Songs from Black Mountain yet.

But I was a massive Live fan back in the day. I mean, the 90's of course. In the mid 90's I was at Ithaca College, and Throwing Copper was the shit. They were the one band everyone could agree on. Many nights were spent in the dorms belting out "Iris" while doing shots of Captain Morgan and taking bong hits. And of course there was the rousing singalongs of "Pillar of Davidson". Hell fuckin yeah! Any song on TC and most songs on Mental Jewlery would inspire communal singing. Saw them three times during the TC tour - once at Ithaca (at Cornelll Univ) and twice more on road trips to Pennslyvania. We even made a pilgrimage to Otter Creek! I have my picture next to the post for the sign that you see on the back cover of TC. It was only the post because the sign had been ripped off! It had been ripped off several times I heard. I saw them once during the Secret Samadhi tour and another time at Woodstock. I think the Distance to Here is their last great album. I don't know if this is a good thing or a bad thing, but the older I get, the less I want to go back and listen to those old Live albums. Same thing with U2. I listen to bands like Pink Floyd more. And also the Beatles. I don't know what that means, but I'm going to dl Mental Jewerly into my mp3 player right now.
  • CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    REALLY? I think they've gotten stranger and less mainstream in recent years.

I was put-off when I was backstage guarding their dressing room, when they played the Beacon Theater about 10 years ago. It was just the band, and me, and before they went on stage they did a "huddle" and talked about how glad they were that their record, or single, was Number 1 on the charts. So from that, I say they're more interested in commercial success - since they literally patted themselves on the back.

also some comment the singer did in an MTV interview when they were popular, saying something like "belief is wrong" - not even specifically about a religion but implying about belief about anything... seemed to broad a brush. Like he wanted to have something profound to say - but he didnt. Just sounded like a moron.

They have a catchy sound - but in my opinion, they have nothing to say. But that's just from the songs I know.
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10