The Foo Fighters are going down hill...

Indian SummerIndian Summer Posts: 2,296
edited August 2008 in Other Music
...and have been since "The Colour and the Shape." Their last few efforts have been pretty weak IMO. "In Your Honor" was a huge letdown after Dave over hyped it, and everything since has sounded the same. And the were by far the weakest act on the Who rock honors stage...just incredibly boring and blah live. I mean, I still like and respect them for what they've done, but their newest stuff is watered down garbage, that wouldn't get signed if it weren't labeled "The Foo Fighters". C'mon Dave, blow my mind like Everlong did the first time I heard it.

What do you think?
"It's all happening"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• LukinFanLukinFan Posts: 29,040
    I've never been too big of a fan- they can rock and then they can put out garbage
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    I disagree, I think their latest album is their most diverse and contains some great songs like Let It Die and Come Alive.
  • restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,951
    i dont like the Foos personally. I saw them twice early on, but havent liked them since. that being said, THEY ARE HUGE!!! people love these guys and reviews for their last album were great. they seem to be appealing to a large audience still. i dont get it. ????
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
  • I disagree, I think their latest album is their most diverse and contains some great songs like Let It Die and Come Alive.

I agree.

I've never been a huge Foo's fan but the latest album was excellent.
    Montreal 08/20/98 | New York 09/11/98 | Wantagh 08/24/00 | Montreal 10/04/00 | Montreal 06/29/03 | Montreal 09/15/05
    Toronto 05/10/06 | Vancouver 04/02//08 (Ed) | Manchester 06/14/08 | Montreal 08/09/08 (Ed) | Montreal 08/10/08 (Ed) 
    Albany 06/08/09 (Ed) | Philadelphia 10/31/09 | Montreal 09/07/11 | Ottawa 05/08/16 | Brooklyn 04/07/17 (RRHOF)
    Dana Point 09/09/17 (Ed) | Rome 06/26/18
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    The put on a HELL of a show.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Indian SummerIndian Summer Posts: 2,296
    The put on a HELL of a show.

I saw them back in like 2000. And it was pretty good. I would go see them again if they came to town, but I'm not gonna travel to see them, the way i do with PJ.
    "It's all happening"
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,558
    Colour and the shape + nothing left to loose are brilliant albums. Never really bothered keeping up with them as i got into other stuff like pearl jam etc.

Even though their latest stuff isn't that good, they are meant to put on one hell of a show.
  • Cropduster84Cropduster84 Posts: 1,283
    Always seen them as overated and bland.....

But yeah, they do get even worse with every release.....
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
  • I thought they were great at the Rock Honors.

I've seen them once live and they put on a hell of a show, I would definitely see them again.
    "Don't lose your inner heat...ever" - EV 5/13/06
  • I disagree. Their latest cd in my opinion is GREAT! After seein them for the 1st time in INDY couple weeks ago, they rocked my doors off!
    Shall I dare say I'd see them over PJ if given the choice? uhh oh, i'm ducking for cover now......

:D

Seein them at the HardRock in Vegas next month.
  • direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    "Colour and the Shape" and "There is Nothing Left to Lose" are definitely their best efforts, but I really enjoyed their last two albums as well. There are some great songs on those records. I still haven't seen them live yet, but I'll get around to it eventually.
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,951
    I disagree. Their latest cd in my opinion is GREAT! After seein them for the 1st time in INDY couple weeks ago, they rocked my doors off!
    Shall I dare say I'd see them over PJ if given the choice? .

serously? you should offiicially join a FOO BOARD if so.
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,854
    the Foo Fighters are okay. I like Colour and Shape and Nothing Left To Lose, as well as a few songs here or there. I saw them live twice and they were both really good shows. I think they sucked really bad on VH1 rock honors though.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • stu geestu gee Posts: 1,174
    I thought after One by One, which i thought was rubbish, they might have reached the end of the road but IYH is pretty good i think, some great songs on there. The first album is still my favourite though.
    People say im paranoid. Well, they dont say it, but i know that's what they are thinking.
  • edvedderrocksedvedderrocks Posts: 1,001
    I agree.

I've never been a huge Foo's fan but the latest album was excellent.

I think this is one of their best albums to date. There are some great songs on it.
    "I knew all the rules, but the rules did not know me. Guaranteed."

1996 Merriweather, MD; 1998 Camden, NJ; 2000 Camden, NJ; 2003 Camden, NJ; 2005 Philly, PA; 2006 Camden, NJ(nights 1 & 2); 2006 Arnhem, NED; 2008 Camden, NJ(nights 1 & 2), Washington DC, MSG(night 2) 2009 Philly Spectrum Shows(nights 1,2,3,4) 2010 Hartford,CT and MSG(night 2)

ED Solo - 2008 Washington DC, 2009 Philly, PA(nights 1&2)*Met Eddie =)
  • ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    you would think grohl would be in a good band but the FF's are a nothing band that appeal to pretty much everyone.
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • serously? you should offiicially join a FOO BOARD if so.

Seriously.....I officially did that awhile back. Thanks for the advice tho...
  • gleemonexgleemonex Posts: 848
    I agree with everything in the original post except for the bit about the Rock Honours. I thought they played pretty well. They are a good live band, but don't have the variety in their shows that a band like Pearl Jam does, despite their large catalogue. The only two Foos cds I like alot are the self-titled and the colour and the shape.
    “Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It’s hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It’s round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you’ve got about a hundred years here. There’s only one rule that I know of, babies — ‘God damn it, you’ve got to be kind.’” - Kurt Vonnegut
  • NCBRINCBRI Posts: 1,902
    In their defense (regarding the Rock Honors performance) I read that Grohl's voice was in pretty bad shape going into the show. I am sure that's why they got some help from the singer from Supergrass.

I've never seen them live in person, but have heard nothing but good things about their shows. From the stuff I've seen on TV (Skin and Bones and another show) they seem to do a really good job. I like pretty much all their stuff, but am not blown away by it.
    Brian
  • I think In Your Honor would have been phenominal if they had taken the best tracks from the Rock Disc and the best from the Acoustic disc and just made one disc. I think the first three albums are the most solid. I especially like Theres Nothing Left To Loose since most of the songs had melody which was in stark contrast to the music dominating the airwaves at the time (Korn, Limp Bizkit, etc). The Self titled album is still my favorite and most rocking (in my opinion).

As far as their live shows go, one of the best. They were so good when I saw them a couple weeks ago, I contemplated driving to Cleveland and Pittsburgh to see them again.

I wish they would go more of the root of songs like Stacked Actors and Colour and the Shape (the actual song Colour and the Shape not the album).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0tWxsfxjzM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJD-uYuuJCs
  • petrocspetrocs Posts: 4,342
    I disagree, I think their latest album is their most diverse and contains some great songs like Let It Die and Come Alive.

agreed
    Shows:
    9/24/96 MD. 9/28/96 Randalls. 8/28-29/98 Camden. 9/8/98 NJ. 9/18/98 MD. 9/1-2/00 Camden. 9/4/00 MD. 4/28/03 Philly. 7/5-6/03 Camden. 9/30/05 AC.
    10/3/05 Philly. 5/27-28/06 Camden. 6/23/06 Pitt. 6/19-20/08 Camden. 6/24/08 MSG. 8/7/08 EV Newark, NJ. 6/11-12/09 EV Philly, PA. 10/27-28-30-31/09 Philly, PA., 5/15/10 Hartford,5/17/10 Boston, 5/18/10 Newark, 5/20-21/10 MSG
  • CityMouseCityMouse Posts: 1,010
    I'm a big fan, but I agree some of their stuff can be sub par. In Your Honor, IMO was not up to their standards at all. I think I listened to that album twice. But I don't think they've been going downhill since the colour and the shape. One by One was a great record as is ESP&G. I really love ESP&G. The first time I heard The Pretender on the radio I was like "holy shit the foo is BACK!"

I also saw them live for 3rd time this past winter. I saw them in like 95 or 96 and again 2003. This was by FAR the best show of the three. I had been a little disappointed in the past. This show though, rocked my socks off.