wow, green day....

2»

Comments

• LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    mookie9999 wrote:
    lol!.. but seriously Green Day has always been a pop mainstream band. They have NEVER been hard core. How is any of this a surprise??? And if they are selling out to promote a good cause, where's the harm?

The real problem is not Green Day playing American Idol, it's the people watching American Idol!!! :p
  • mookie9999mookie9999 Posts: 4,677
    It's just miserable souls complaining about dumb things in life.

I forgot that only differing opinions of yours are dumb.
    "The leads are weak!"

"The leads are weak? Fuckin' leads are weak? You're Weak! I've Been in this business 15 years"

"What's your name?"

"FUCK YOU! THAT"S MY NAME!"
  • mookie9999mookie9999 Posts: 4,677
    lol!.. but seriously Green Day has always been a pop mainstream band. They have NEVER been hard core. How is any of this a surprise??? And if they are selling out to promote a good cause, where's the harm?

You're right as far as them never being hardcore. And doing a song for a good cause is great. I just wish they would have made mention of the cause or had a website up while they were performing. It would have done a lot more for awareness than flashing "Save Darfur" on the video screens for a second.
    "The leads are weak!"

"The leads are weak? Fuckin' leads are weak? You're Weak! I've Been in this business 15 years"

"What's your name?"

"FUCK YOU! THAT"S MY NAME!"
  • markymark550markymark550 Posts: 5,137
    I wouldn't even known they played until someone said something.
    I didn't (see post #2) know they played AI and was glad someone finally mentioned what happened.

As for them on AI, it doesn't really shock me. I agree you when you said they are a pop mainstream band and weren't ever really punk. With that, it doesn't surprise me that a mainstream band played one of the biggest mainstream stages around.
  • ecd1973ecd1973 Posts: 30
    "punk rock" just died a little tonight.

Punk Rock? Really?

Oh, I get it, you were kidding about the "Green Day is a punk rock band". Right? You were kidding, weren't you?

Anyway, If I wanted a lot of people to hear a song and maybe raise a little awareness for a good cause, I would be on American Idol as fast as possible.

Now excuse me while I "sell out" to the phone company (since they are the ones who pay me money every day). Oh, the horror. Oh, the shame to make money. I feel so...filthy...)
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.

-- Willy Wonka
  • smithnicsmithnic Posts: 1,563
    FUSE TV poll I swear to god:

best concept album:

Pink Floyd~Dark side of the moon
    Green Day American Idiot
    My chemical romance (can't remember)
    and some other band

<puke>
    Go Get 'Em Tigers!
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,249
    don't watch the crap and if the song was a CLASH song then i would of been sad but GREEN DAY please i'm embarresed just to know some of you on this board watch it .......bad for the ears ....
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • he still standshe still stands Posts: 2,835
    green day makes me puke a little in my mouth.

Last night's lineup: Reuben Studdard, Bette Midler, Green Day...

they fit right in with that shit --- but by our society's standards they are on top of the fucking world right now --- hardly "a nail in the coffin"
    Everything not forbidden is compulsory and eveything not compulsory is forbidden. You are free... free to do what the government says you can do.
  • drivingrldrivingrl Posts: 1,448
    I agree. It's a terrible shame that Green Day, a band that embodies the true spirit of punk rock in every possible way, has just now sold out by appearing on American Idol.

:rolleyes: :D

Give me a fucking break!! :D

Okay, finally someone got to the point. And I agree.
    drivingrl: "Will I ever get to meet Gwen Stefani?"
    kevinbeetle: "Yes. When her career washes up and her and Gavin move to Galveston, you will meet her at Hot Topic shopping for a Japanese cheerleader outfit.

Next!"
  • janegosfordjanegosford Posts: 179
    I can't wait til Kelly Clarkson's Mike Watt album comes out & every indie snob dies a little inside! :D
  • rhinomagicrhinomagic Posts: 2,549
    I'm shocked that anyone here actually watches that television program.

Guess I gave too much credit to the Message Pit.

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    Philadelphia & Baltimore 2024
  • janegosfordjanegosford Posts: 179
    rhinomagic wrote:
    I'm shocked that anyone here actually watches that television program.

Guess I gave too much credit to the Message Pit.

Oh get over it. People on this board talk about all sorts of things. Things I think are complete & utter crap (i.e. Howard Stern has a long ass thread) but whatever. Why should I care? I'll never understand people who get off on the need to try & shame people.
  • adam42381adam42381 Posts: 2,505
    As soon as they were done last night I turned to my wife and said, "I'm pretty sure that 20 year old Billy would have kicked current Billy's ass for that."
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.

they fit right in with that shit

shocker, you forgot to mention smokey robinson, gladys knight, tony bennett, bebe and cece winans.

guess they're huge sellouts and shit too, huh
    Cheat the odds that made you
    Brave to try to gamble at times
  • Indian SummerIndian Summer Posts: 2,296
    adam42381 wrote:
    As soon as they were done last night I turned to my wife and said, "I'm pretty sure that 20 year old Billy would have kicked current Billy's ass for that."

haha, that's the truth!
    "It's all happening"
  • sleeplikeadogsleeplikeadog Posts: 156
    I don't expect anything but crap from Green Day, so I don't know why anyone is surprised. They sold out a long time ago, and keep selling and selling.
    Walking is still honest
  • brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    i love green day. billie joe is just so dreamy.......
  • BrainofdzBrainofdz Posts: 1,617
    smithnic wrote:
    FUSE TV poll I swear to god:

best concept album:

Pink Floyd~Dark side of the moon
    Green Day American Idiot
    My chemical romance (can't remember)
    and some other band

<puke>

What do you expect, Fuse caters to High School kids
    "Stunned by my own reflection, It's looking back, sees me too clearly and I swore I'd never go there again, Not unlike a friend that politely drags you down,down,down"

When you see me on the street, yell out "FAVO!!!"

I've been to alot of Pearl Jam shows;So fucking what.
  • tonadaxtonadax Posts: 594
    i think the big deal about green day it´s not about the SELL OUT thing, have you forgotten they opened the doors for pop punk rock and sold 11 millions of the album DOOKIE , only in usa.... the deal it´s the political theme on their music....
  • adam42381 wrote:

Would 20 year old adam42381 kick current adam42381's ass for watching that show? ;)
    <a href="http://www.shawnsmithsinger.com">Shawn Smith</a> / <a href="http://www.thebandbrad.com">Brad</a&gt; / <a href="http://www.allhailthecrown.com">All Hail the Crown</a> / <a href="http://www.satchelpartnership.com">Satchel</a&gt;

(Shawn Smith's official website, but not Thee Shawn Smith)
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    I've seen little bits of it, here and there, though I didn't see Green Day on it, and my thought is this - its a vehicle - LOTS of people watch it. Why not use it to sneak some positive message in? If they (Green Day) are singing something from the heart, and it connects with someone, is that really bad? People grow.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • TwatayTwatay Posts: 64
    yeah....pretty lame.

Maybe if they took a dump on the American Idol logo I would forgive, but nothing about that even mumbles punk rawk.

I remember seeing them in a small club when Dookie was just coming out and it was a great show full of energy and fun....now sold their soul to Simon Cowell

Can you say College tuition?

or rather, can you say going from an unknown punk band to one of the biggest rock bands today?