Beck's Secret Show - DC

i got idi got id Posts: 867
edited October 2006 in Other Music
Anyone else get to see it last night? Incredible...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• someone did a good job keeping the secret. where was it?
  • i got idi got id Posts: 867
    It was at the Black Cat on the backstage. About 150 people were allowed in. I was going to post on here, but literally ran out of my house to make sure I could get to DC from Montgomery County quick enough. Here's someone's review:

http://www.dcist.com/archives/2006/10/31/beck_backstage_at_the_black_cat_hell_yes.php

It was awesome since I got to be the 2nd person deep right in front of Beck.
  • i got id wrote:
    It was at the Black Cat on the backstage. About 150 people were allowed in. I was going to post on here, but literally ran out of my house to make sure I could get to DC from Montgomery County quick enough. Here's someone's review:

http://www.dcist.com/archives/2006/10/31/beck_backstage_at_the_black_cat_hell_yes.php

It was awesome since I got to be the 2nd person deep right in front of Beck.

so how did you find out about this show? that woulda rocked.
    through the 9:30 club forums...I was very lucky
  • floyd1975floyd1975 Posts: 1,350
    The one day I didn't even look at the 9:30 Club boards and I miss out on this. Tapes n' Tapes should be good tonight though.
  • zstillings wrote:
    The one day I didn't even look at the 9:30 Club boards and I miss out on this. Tapes n' Tapes should be good tonight though.

you guys seem to know what you're doing around the DC music/bar scene.
    Where can i find a bar that is just a rock band and some cold beers? nothing fancy...no popped collar wearing d-bags. heck, a cover band is ok...just rock.
    any suggestions?
    zstillings wrote:

Tapes n' Tapes? I've never heard of them....

Also, the Shortstack show Friday should be good.
    blackngold wrote:
    Where can i find a bar that is just a rock band and some cold beers? nothing fancy...no popped collar wearing d-bags. heck, a cover band is ok...just rock.
    any suggestions?

I like Black Cat, but some other good places are Rock and Roll Hotel and Iota.

If you wear a collar into Black Cat, you'll get some strange looks, which is one of the reasons I love that place.
    blackngold wrote:
    any suggestions?

Most nights Black Cat can be like that. DC9 has some good shows too. Velvet Lounge is a little loft kind of place. I haven't been to Warehouse Next Door but I hear they can have some good shows as well.
  • zstillings wrote:
    Most nights Black Cat can be like that. DC9 has some good shows too. Velvet Lounge is a little loft kind of place. I haven't been to Warehouse Next Door but I hear they can have some good shows as well.

thanks for the suggestions. i'll have to check these places out. is black cat by a metro stop?
    blackngold wrote:
    thanks for the suggestions. i'll have to check these places out. is black cat by a metro stop?

It's a few blocks from the U St. metro.
    i got id wrote:
    Tapes n' Tapes? I've never heard of them....

Also, the Shortstack show Friday should be good.

They have a good sound. I'm pretty sure there are a few songs on their myspace page if you search around there for them.

Also, I read a couple of posts down before this and it reminded me of the time I went straight from a work event to the Black Cat to see Ted Leo while I was still dressed in a suit. I did get a few odd looks.
  • iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    blackngold wrote:
    any suggestions?

santa fe cafe in college park, md
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • evenflow82evenflow82 Posts: 3,891
    I saw Beck in sept. 05. I was very disappointed in his live show. He started three songs, forgot the lyrics about two minutes in on each song and then did another song. Nothing like getting to hear a half assed version of half a song three times.

Maybe he was too busy getting his brain probed by aliens from one of l. ron hubbard's scientology books.

Does he have his act together this tour? I'd like to see him, because I know he's insanely creative. I also like his new album A LOT.
    I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell.
    -Christopher Walken

you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

The truth has a well known liberal bias.
    -Stephen Colbert
  • He was great the first couple of times I saw him. So together. The last time was 2003 and it was the most depressing show I have ever been to. It wasn't that he performed badly but it album and the show were so depressing! I have liked what I have heard from the new album. I wish him luck with it. Sounds like he is back in the game.
    Let's Go Red Sox!
  • rhinomagicrhinomagic Posts: 2,549
    Beck is very near the top of my concert to-do list. I've always passed on the chance to see him live, but now I think those were bad decisions.

Is there any chance he's planning a full-on tour to promote The Information? Or is he going to keep staging these last-minute small-venue shows only in major cities?

I caught him performing Nausea on Letterman two nights ago and thought the band was incredible. Having Borat come out and dance during the song was brilliant, too.

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    Philadelphia & Baltimore 2024
    rhinomagic wrote:
    Beck is very near the top of my concert to-do list. I've always passed on the chance to see him live, but now I think those were bad decisions.

Is there any chance he's planning a full-on tour to promote The Information? Or is he going to keep staging these last-minute small-venue shows only in major cities?

I caught him performing Nausea on Letterman two nights ago and thought the band was incredible. Having Borat come out and dance during the song was brilliant, too.

was borat funny during Beck's performance? he joked at the secret show that Borat came out and ruined their performance.
    i got id wrote:
    was borat funny during Beck's performance? he joked at the secret show that Borat came out and ruined their performance.

He was so funny that Beck had to fight off laughing during the second verse. I thought for a few seconds it might blow the whole performance, but it turned out just to be funny.

If he said that Borat ruined it, I think the implication is that he cracked the band up to where it was a bit difficult to complete the number. Beck seemed to enjoy the distraction.

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    Philadelphia & Baltimore 2024
    i got id wrote:

You can see the Late Show performance now on beck.com.

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Baltimore 2020