Lucinda Williams - West

deadmosquitodeadmosquito Posts: 729
edited February 2007 in Other Music
i picked this album up last night and am just now getting to listen to it. on the 5th song and so far two songs have been really outstanding for me: the opening track, "are you all right?" and the fourth track, "fancy funeral." i've read nothing but great things about it and so far have not been let down. the fifth song, "unsuffer me" is on now and it has this string arrangement that complements the song so well.

anyone else pick this up or hear it yet?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• FANTASTIC!!

Not Car Wheels but it is very good.

I am loving it, cant stop listening.
  • merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    I didn't like it the first time through, the production is much different than other Lucinda albums (with the strings, background vocals). The percussion is a lot more out front than some of her other albums too. However, it's really grown on me after a few listens. Lyrically 'Unsuffer Me' is classic Lucinda, very dark stuff. The only track I could do without is Come On. It's a little too obvious, but its a fun track when you see her live.
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
  • Yeah!!! :):)

Lucinda Williams is incredible. Thank you for the thread on West. I haven't checked it out yet but am planning on buying it next time I am in the city.

Do you have the Car Wheels deluxe set? They have a great live disk on it from that tour.

One of the best songwriters IMO.
    "She knows there is no success like failure
    And that failure's no success at all."

"Don't ya think its sometimes wise not to grow up."

"Cause life ain't nothing but a good groove
    A good mixed tape to put you in the right mood."
  • direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    Brilliant album! Just picked it up the other day, and I can't stop listening to it. I think it might be the best thing she's ever done.
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • direwolf74 wrote:
    I think it might be the best thing she's ever done.

i'm not sure i want to make that statement quite yet, but its definitely getting there.
    Cheat the odds that made you
    Brave to try to gamble at times
  • 3sheets3sheets Posts: 284
    i picked it up late last week but haven't gotten around to listening to it yet. maybe tonight on the way home from the Deerhoof show. I don't expect it to be anything than what it is. Nothing will probably be as good as Car Wheels... However, I cannot wait to see her at HRL in Orlando. And, the Heartless Bastards are opening for her, so that will be a nice treat.
    Live Free or Die!
  • merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    Car Wheels is great, but Essence is better. And the Heartless Bastards are excellent live.
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
  • Just got through listning to it for the first time and I love it. It started to drag a bit at the end but I love the overall feel of the whole album. Particularly like "learning how to live", "Fancy Funeral", "Unsuffer Me", and "Rescue" after the first listen. It sounds real rockin in some parts but also very dark like Essence in some parts. It seems like, with Lucinda, the more listens the better so I can't wait to hear it through more times!!
    "She knows there is no success like failure
    And that failure's no success at all."

"Don't ya think its sometimes wise not to grow up."

"Cause life ain't nothing but a good groove
    A good mixed tape to put you in the right mood."