SMC ~ Neva Dinova - The Hate Yourself Change

deadmosquitodeadmosquito Posts: 729
edited March 2007 in Other Music
ok, i didn't have much in the way of "N" music, but this album is actually pretty good, if you don't mind your music a little slow and depressing. i apologize that it's in itunes format (m4a), but my computer's messed up right now and i can't get it into mp3. so if someone needs mp3, hopefully someone here can help them out. anyway, sorry i took so long to get this up. oh and here's some info on the band and the album from allmusic.com.

about the band:

Dreamy and sparse, delicate and moody, these are the elements that make Neva Dinova a memorable experience. Often lumped in with other groups that came along at the same time (including the Faint and Bright Eyes), the band actually started in 1993 at the height of the slowcore movement. Making similarly airy and spacy music, the band tightened its sound live before a disastrous gig in Omaha shook up the lineup and essentially created the Neva Dinova that broke into the national market. Getting together with Crank! Records, the band recorded an eponymous debut and released it in the summer of 2002.

about the album:

As Omaha, Nebraska creeps slowly closer to becoming to folksy singer/songwriters what Seattle was to grunge, with Saddle Creek as the movement's Sub Pop, Conor Oberst playing the roll of star-child Kurt Cobain and the Faint somehow wedged in by the media, expect to find Sidecho Records and Neva Dinova in the sidebar of some major media article. Not exploding on to the national stage, but in many ways more worthy than their civic counterparts. Guitarist/vocalist Jake Bellows has an enigmatic quality that is hard to forget, switch hitting between solo acoustic ache on the opener "Hat O'er Eyes" to whiskey-still crooner on Yellow Datsun" where he proclaims "I got morphine in my sleeves. Got some stars in my eyes." On the country dirge of "The Champion," these characters, who include bassists Heath Koontz, drummer Roger Lewis and guitarists Tim Haes and Mike Kratkey could easily be mistaken for Americana figureheads Wilco, but for the dark ambience that fills the gaps between the gingerly strummed Fender telecasters and warbling vintage vibrato. The Hammond takes the lead on "Can't Wait To See You," with the minor-key sorrow given to this sort of backwoods songwriting. Add in the classic line on "Cold Call," "I dream of murder, and you," and you've got one clear case of the poor white-boy blues, but with the male choral of "The worlds a sh*tty place and I can't wait to die" on "I've Got a Feeling," you can't help but snicker. Emo-folk with its heart in the reverb.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• bump for anyone who didn't see it yet.
  • brhf9brhf9 Posts: 1,475
    Will download in a moment.
    'Go easy, step lightly, stay free!'

You have been banned for the following reason:
    inappropriate post.

'Too many people on this earth. We need a new plague.' - Dwight Schrute
  • transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    downloading now.
    This selection fits in perfectly with what I have been listening to of late. Charlie Louvin, Bonnie 'Prince' Billy, ya know, the good singer songwriters.

I will need to dive into the lyrics, however the music is very pleasing to the ear. I will no doubt look for him live as I would imagine he would hit Colorado often. It would make for a good night of kicking back with a few cold ones.

without burning this to disc, I am unable to pick a standout. I'd say we are all doing pretty well with the 'N' selections.
  • transplant wrote:
    This selection fits in perfectly with what I have been listening to of late. Charlie Louvin, Bonnie 'Prince' Billy, ya know, the good singer songwriters.

I will need to dive into the lyrics, however the music is very pleasing to the ear. I will no doubt look for him live as I would imagine he would hit Colorado often. It would make for a good night of kicking back with a few cold ones.

without burning this to disc, I am unable to pick a standout. I'd say we are all doing pretty well with the 'N' selections.

the standout tracks, IMO, for this album are 'yellow datsun' and 'i've got a feeling.'
    the standout tracks, IMO, for this album are 'yellow datsun' and 'i've got a feeling.'
    Yellow Datsun is a sweet tune. I think my favorite is A Picture in Pocket. Though I must admit, Billy Idol's White Wedding goes thru my head at times. Not completely sure what that is all about.