Going to see Damien Rice tomorrow... Questions

NuclearTreeFrogNuclearTreeFrog Posts: 225
edited May 2007 in Other Music
I'm going to see Damien Rice tomorrow in NYC at the Radio City Music Hall. Is there anyone that has seen him recently and can tell me what time I should expect him to come one stage? The ticket says 8pm. Is there an opening band?

And another question, has anyone seen a concert at Radio City? Do they serve alcohol during the show?

Thanks in advance.
"The sun is shining, but not for me."
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I'm going to see Damien Rice tomorrow in NYC at the Radio City Music Hall. Is there anyone that has seen him recently and can tell me what time I should expect him to come one stage? The ticket says 8pm. Is there an opening band?

And another question, has anyone seen a concert at Radio City? Do they serve alcohol during the show?

Thanks in advance.

well I answered the question about the booze on my own but I'd still like to know around what time he's gonna hit the stage. So if anyone has an idea I'd appreciate it.
  • mauichickmauichick Posts: 964
    I'm going too..Pretty stoked :).
    Don't think there's an opener and according to stuff I've read on other sites it doesn't start much later then time posted on tix
    '96 7 shows / '97 3 shows / '98 15 shows
    '00 12 shows / '03 4 shows / '06 6 shows
    '08 3 shows / '09 5 shows / '10 6 shows
  • how much later? I have class on 23rd street till just about 8 (depending on when the professor lets us out) and I wanna make sure I can make it there on time.
    What I posted is what I read on Damien's board

Post there and see if you get a more specific time frame

Lately I've been getting email from Tbastard which says what time artist takes stage, but havn't gotten one for Damien yet
  • OK thanks for your help :) Enjoy the show.
    You too!

Don't stress, but I'd def try to leave class early if at all possible...
  • mulva9mulva9 Posts: 417
    Anyone need tickets for tonight in Boston?

I can't go and can let my tickets go for below face. PM if interested.
  • AllIAmAllIAm Posts: 1,309
    so how was new york last night? im going tonight in boston and im just curious to see how he is solo... or is he solo? and did he sing hallelujah for you?
  • salngrsalngr Posts: 55
    AllIAm wrote:
    so how was new york last night? im going tonight in boston and im just curious to see how he is solo... or is he solo? and did he sing hallelujah for you?
    here's the setlist
    show was amazing, you're in for a great night

01 - 9 Crimes [Damien Solo on piano]
    02 - Older Chests [Damien and Vyv]
    03 - Volcano
    [Damien on piano to start, guitar after 1st verse
    Vyv on cello throughout
    Tomo came out and played the mini-kit from the first chrous through the 2nd chorus then switched to the big kit
    Shane and Joel came out and joined in when Tomo switched to the big kit]
    04 - (Volcano) -> Me, My Yoke, and I [Damien on Electric]
    05 - Delicate
    06 - Coconut Skins [aborted so Damien could tune]
    Coconut Skins ->
    [During the jam Joel played the mini-kit again and Shane and Vyv drummed on something I wasn't able to see]
    07 - Woman Like a Man
    08 - Rootless Tree [piano]
    09 - Never Leave You [Vyv, Shane, Joel, and two people I couldn't ID, not Damien or Tomo]
    10 - The Professor -> La Fille Danse
    11 - Eskimo
    12 - Accidental Babies
    13 - I Remember (Bang Bang) [Vyv played piano during the interpolation]
    14 - Cannonball (Everyone unplugged, shane on an upright bass)

15 - Unplayed Piano
    16 - Blower's Daughter
    17 - Cheers Darlin' [Only damien on stage, he sang into his IEM mic and no instruments were played by anyone, just the background track]
    "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini (or diet coke) in the other hand, body thoroughly used up, worn out and tired..."
    salngr wrote:
    here's the setlist
    show was amazing, you're in for a great night

01 - 9 Crimes [Damien Solo on piano]
    02 - Older Chests [Damien and Vyv]
    03 - Volcano
    [Damien on piano to start, guitar after 1st verse
    Vyv on cello throughout
    Tomo came out and played the mini-kit from the first chrous through the 2nd chorus then switched to the big kit
    Shane and Joel came out and joined in when Tomo switched to the big kit]
    04 - (Volcano) -> Me, My Yoke, and I [Damien on Electric]
    05 - Delicate
    06 - Coconut Skins [aborted so Damien could tune]
    Coconut Skins ->
    [During the jam Joel played the mini-kit again and Shane and Vyv drummed on something I wasn't able to see]
    07 - Woman Like a Man
    08 - Rootless Tree [piano]
    09 - Never Leave You [Vyv, Shane, Joel, and two people I couldn't ID, not Damien or Tomo]
    10 - The Professor -> La Fille Danse
    11 - Eskimo
    12 - Accidental Babies
    13 - I Remember (Bang Bang) [Vyv played piano during the interpolation]
    14 - Cannonball (Everyone unplugged, shane on an upright bass)

15 - Unplayed Piano
    16 - Blower's Daughter
    17 - Cheers Darlin' [Only damien on stage, he sang into his IEM mic and no instruments were played by anyone, just the background track]

awesome... so was lisa missed or were you not really aware of it? they just work so well together its a shame not to hear them in concert

thanks for the info!
    AllIAm wrote:
    awesome... so was lisa missed or were you not really aware of it? they just work so well together its a shame not to hear them in concert

thanks for the info!

She was missed...
    people in the crowd were calling her name and Damien responded in really cool way
    said that she was doing what she should be doing-working on her album, something she never had time to do when they were working together because of the schedule; they had worked together for a long time and he was (and we should be) excited for her...

Later he sang one of her songs in honor of an imprisoned Burmese woman
    mauichick wrote:
    She was missed...
    people in the crowd were calling her name and Damien responded in really cool way
    said that she was doing what she should be doing-working on her album, something she never had time to do when they were working together because of the schedule; they had worked together for a long time and he was (and we should be) excited for her...

yea thats interesting... last night people were screaming where is lisa too... i dont really know the backstory there but it just seems alot of his songs told a story of pain over some woman. he sang a song i had never heard about a woman who was better off without him but how much he missed her...

it was beautiful but there is something so amazing about her voice... i love damien rice but i think she helps make him that much more.

man he must be so sick of answering the lisa question...
  • DarkStarDarkStar Posts: 734
    AllIAm wrote:
    yea thats interesting... last night people were screaming where is lisa too... i dont really know the backstory there but it just seems alot of his songs told a story of pain over some woman. he sang a song i had never heard about a woman who was better off without him but how much he missed her...

it was beautiful but there is something so amazing about her voice... i love damien rice but i think she helps make him that much more.

man he must be so sick of answering the lisa question...

you can poke around over at the forum on a fan run website for lisa where there are a few threads with conjecture: http://com1.runboard.com/blisahanniganrefined

ds
    And no one sings me lullabyes
    And no one makes me close my eyes
    So I throw the windows wide
    And call to you across the sky....
  • Brain of mJBrain of mJ Posts: 786
    mauichick wrote:
    She was missed...

That song, Unplayed Piano, is one of his best performances, I'll be set if he plays it in Atlanta in a week.
  • musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
    yeah, i frequent the official damien board, and the story about lisa is that during the europe tour in march, mid march, she appeared at soundcheck at Milan I think, and then she never appeared during the actual show. Vyvienne the cellist was asked about this immediately following the show, and she told some fan that lisa left. The damien was asked a few shows later and he said "she was touring but now she is not". Some bloggers suggested that she was fired by damien. And if you read the official statement via the damien website it certainly reads like the decision wasnt mutual. The statement says "damien decided...". Several other strange things following this occured, like damien being asked in concert about lisa and him laughing and saying "i dont know" and then looking around stage as to see if he could see her. Evidently the other band members were really embarassed about this.

I firmly believe damien kicked her out. But these latest statements by the posters on this board suggest that it was mutual.

who knows. All I know is that, lisa leaving is the stupidest move damien rice ever made. He is a talented singer, and I love his music, but kicking lisa out was a bonehead move
    yeah, i frequent the official damien board, and the story about lisa is that during the europe tour in march, mid march, she appeared at soundcheck at Milan I think, and then she never appeared during the actual show. Vyvienne the cellist was asked about this immediately following the show, and she told some fan that lisa left. The damien was asked a few shows later and he said "she was touring but now she is not". Some bloggers suggested that she was fired by damien. And if you read the official statement via the damien website it certainly reads like the decision wasnt mutual. The statement says "damien decided...". Several other strange things following this occured, like damien being asked in concert about lisa and him laughing and saying "i dont know" and then looking around stage as to see if he could see her. Evidently the other band members were really embarassed about this.

I firmly believe damien kicked her out. But these latest statements by the posters on this board suggest that it was mutual.

who knows. All I know is that, lisa leaving is the stupidest move damien rice ever made. He is a talented singer, and I love his music, but kicking lisa out was a bonehead move

ya like i said im not really worried one way or the other what the story was but it was just uncomfortable when everyone kept screaming where's lisa. was anyone else at the boston show? he actually stopped talking for a minute. just dead silence and then he resumed a story that he was saying earlier. i just think that if something like this happens you gotta be prepared. i always thought it was odd how they were billed. she sings just as much as he does yet its just his name. also maybe it was just this one concert but last summer when they came around (with fiona apple) i noticed lisa had no spotlight and she sat on the ground almost hiding... is she just wicked shy?

well there were some beautiful songs and i do like that new song he played.
    The 1st time I saw Damien was w/ Fionna and she sang Lisa's parts
    INCREDIBLE, they blew me away
    Thought she'd bring him on for her set and unfortunately she didn't (her set sucked in comparison)

Don't mean to disrespect Lisa-she's amazing on the albums and when I saw them together at the Beacon, but he is a Solo artist

Radio City was phenomenal show and better then beacon (IMO)
    Not because it was without Lisa, but because of Damien. he and the band were on fire
  • pjhabitpjhabit Posts: 211
    AllIAm wrote:
    did he sing hallelujah for you?
    What is Hallelujah & what is it on? I have both albums & the B-sides, but never herd of it. Forgive my ignorance but I'm just getting into his stuff. & if there's some must haves out there I'd love to know. Thanks
    Boise 11/3/00~Fargo 6/15/03~Winnipeg 9/8/05~St. Paul 6/26/06~6/27/06