Pixies, what album to start with?

NuclearTreeFrogNuclearTreeFrog Posts: 225
edited December 2006 in Other Music
So if someone has only heard a few Pixies songs, and wanted to hear more, what would be a good album to check out first?
"The sun is shining, but not for me."
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• JulienJulien Posts: 2,457
    doolittle is my favorite.
    Otherwise, their best of (wave of mutilation) is good to start with...
    2006: Antwerp, Paris
    2007: Copenhagen, Werchter
    2009: Rotterdam, London
    2010: MSG, Arras, Werchter
    2012: Amsterdam, Prague, Berlin
    2014: Amsterdam, Stockholm
  • I would either start from the beginning with Surfer Rosa/Come On Pilgrim or buy Dolittle which is crammed full of classics. After buying dolittle you will more than likely buy everything they've ever done because they quite are simply one of the greatest bands of all time.

I have all the albums plus the B-sides and At The BBC compilations. Bloody brilliant.
    Q"What's your favourite Beatles album?"
    A"The Best of the Beatles."
  • I started with their 'best of' (wave of mutilation) this year. I quite like it.
    Cock Fight.
  • Doolittle

(yay seeing them in 2 months!)
  • MCGMCG Posts: 780
    Surfer Rosa
    Which came first,
    the bad idea or me befallen by it?
  • bharQbharQ Posts: 1,201
    I actually fell in love with Trompe Le Monde first!.. It still to this day is my favorite pixies album.. followed by Surfer Rosa
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • I would say overall Doolittle is my favorite, although there is stuff I love on all their records. If I had to put them in some kind of order I would say:

Doolittle
    Surfer Rosa
    Trompe
    Come On Pilgrim
    Bossanova

And then of course if you are still seeking ou more stuff, the B-sides collection, etc.

But thats just me.
    The Man has a branch office in each of our brains, his corporate emblem is a white albatross, each local rep has a cover known as the Ego, and their mission in this world is Bad Shit.
  • edigerediger Posts: 308
    I would say Doolittle is the best to start with. From there, Surfer Rosa is a good step. IMO, Bossanova is their only weak album, but that is compared to the rest of their stuff. It's still a great album.
    I would say overall Doolittle is my favorite, although there is stuff I love on all their records. If I had to put them in some kind of order I would say:

Doolittle
    Surfer Rosa
    Trompe
    Come On Pilgrim
    Bossanova

And then of course if you are still seeking ou more stuff, the B-sides collection, etc.

But thats just me.

That is the exact order I would list the albums. Surfer and Trompe would be tied for me.
    Hello, I love you. Won't you tell me your name?
  • nocode23nocode23 Posts: 411
    Just buy them all. You won't be disappointed.
  • i dont know much about the pixies, but a buddy gave me two Frank Black CDs the other day, and thery are very good so far.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)