Your favorite Modest Mouse album

NuclearTreeFrogNuclearTreeFrog Posts: 225
edited April 2007 in Other Music
I'm probably in the minority but I'd have to say The Lonesome Crowded West.
"The sun is shining, but not for me."
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• We Were Dead..
    Moon and Antartica
    Lonesome Crowded West
    Building something out of nothing
    This is a Long Drive..
    Good News..

Then all of the small, b-side or whatever the hell's on them albums like "sad sappy sucker".

great band.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • boroff89boroff89 Posts: 786
    The Moon and Antarctica. Such a brilliant album. One of the best to be released by anyone in the last ten years or so.
    It makes much more sense to live in the present tense.
  • MeddleDealMeddleDeal Posts: 2,547
    i would also have to say The Moon and Antartica. Such a GREAT album. Tiny Cities Made of Ashes always makes me want 2 dance :)
    ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~
    ~*STONEY PONY all the WAY!*~
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~
    "For the world, not for the war"-Neil Finn
  • JSBEJSBE Posts: 1,077
    I'm probably in the minority but I'd have to say The Lonesome Crowded West.

i would whole-heartedly agree with you, although i do love building something out of nothing.

i do like the new one, i just feel that there is something missing, or just a little too much...if that makes sense.
  • this is tough. i'd probably go with lonesome followed closely by this is a long drive.
    Cheat the odds that made you
    Brave to try to gamble at times
  • kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    this is a long drive...
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~
  • noalarmsnoalarms Posts: 40
    The lonesome crowded west followed by the new one. The new one is amazing.
  • mrwalkerbmrwalkerb Posts: 1,015
    I always felt that they were too inconsistant and not even album to albun like song to song, I like them but the new one is the only one I can listen to front to back without getting bored or just shutting it off
    "I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
    Chris Cornell

http://www.myspace.com/mrwalkerb
  • Dick JonesDick Jones Posts: 777
    mrwalkerb wrote:
    I always felt that they were too inconsistant and not even album to albun like song to song, I like them but the new one is the only one I can listen to front to back without getting bored or just shutting it off

""
    Are you too good to tango with the poor poor boys?
  • hodgehodge Posts: 519
    i haven't celebrated their entire discography and can only name you a couple songs but my vote goes to lonesome crowded west because bankrupt on selling and trailer trash are my 2 favs that i've heard from them (so far)
    ..and you will come to find that we are all one mind, capable of all that's imagined and all conceivable
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Lonesome Crowded West
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • alobaralobar Posts: 310
    kdpjam wrote:
    this is a long drive...

YES!

This Is A Long Drive For Someone With Nothing To Think About

My favoritist.
    "I wanna believe in the mercy of the world again."

WAR + MAGIC BEANS = PEACE
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    Dashboard is the only song that I love by them...........amazing song
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • mrwalkerbmrwalkerb Posts: 1,015
    Dick Jones wrote:
    ""

go on
    "I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
    Chris Cornell

http://www.myspace.com/mrwalkerb
  • OutOfBreathOutOfBreath Posts: 1,804
    Moon and Antarctica, followed by We Were Dead.
    M&A is just about the only consistent album MM has ever made, and it blows my mind still. Not a single weak song, and it all flows together like a good album should.

Now dont get me wrong, I do love MM, but on many of their records it's a mess of great songs, weirdness (I can like that), weirdness that doesnt work and outright noise (and not in a good way). There are always 2-5 songs I feel would be better off left out. M&A avoids it, and clinches a spot in my top-10 of all time. We were dead also almost pulls that off, but at least the "down" songs are not as down as in the past.

That's my opinion anyway. :)

Peace
    Dan
    "YOU [humans] NEED TO BELIEVE IN THINGS THAT AREN'T TRUE. HOW ELSE CAN THEY BECOME?" - Death

"Every judgment teeters on the brink of error. To claim absolute knowledge is to become monstrous. Knowledge is an unending adventure at the edge of uncertainty." - Frank Herbert, Dune, 1965
  • Blind MelonBlind Melon Posts: 911
    Lonesome Crowded West... I just love the feel of the whole album... plus it has Trailer Trash. Ionno, it kind of seems like there are some issues that he dealt with when he lived in Minnesota was it? I forget where he lived out west with his mom... then she abandoned him and shit.
    If I could, think I would give in.
  • Lonesome Crowded West
    We Were Dead Before The Ship Even Sank

I know that I'm in the minority, but I think the Moon & Antarctica is probably my 4th or 5th favorite MM album.
    NERDS!
  • I don't dislike Moon and Antarctica but its one of my least favorite MM albums
    "The sun is shining, but not for me."
  • Oh, JimmyOh, Jimmy Posts: 957
    Is 'Good News For People Who Love Bad News' a bad album? I really dig it, but I haven't heard much else from Modest Mouse.
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    mrwalkerb wrote:

i kinda feel the same. all of their albums seem to have some tracks that are just plain skippable or filler or sound exactly the same as the 2 around them. especially their early albums. i never could get into long drive... it has some amazing songs, but they were surrounded by two songs on either side that sounded identical and put my brain asleep. i think the problem i have with long drive and lonesome crowded is that they are both like 75 minutes long. if they pared them each down to normal album length... 50 minutes or so, they would be sheer genius. they release enough ep's and b-sides to do that. i think that's why the new album is my favorite. then it's kind of a toss up between moon and antartica and good news for me, depending on my mood. then lonesome crowded.
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    Oh, Jimmy wrote:
    Is 'Good News For People Who Love Bad News' a bad album? I really dig it, but I haven't heard much else from Modest Mouse.

no, it's not. it's just not as cool to like it as their other albums, becos it had some hit songs and the people around here are not allowed to listen to anything popular. it deprives them of their ability to be pretentious. it's a great album and so is the new one. their earlier albums are pretty different from these two though.
  • no, it's not. it's just not as cool to like it as their other albums, becos it had some hit songs and the people around here are not allowed to listen to anything popular. it deprives them of their ability to be pretentious. it's a great album and so is the new one. their earlier albums are pretty different from these two though.

I agree with you 100%. It is a god damn great album, but people just hate on it cause it was their most popular, and strayed away from previous albums, but not by THAT much. I for one am not crazy about The Moon and Antarctica. My favorites are Lonesome Crowded West and Good News, however, all of their albums do rock.
    Drunk by noon but that's ok
    I'll be president someday

I have been to, and have the following posters framed:
    Hartford 96,
    Boston 98, 2000, 2003, 2004, 2006