Options

What the hell is wrong with me and why am I listening to Weezer?

sadprofessorsadprofessor Posts: 1,033
edited February 2006 in Other Music
So I have totally fallen in love with Pinkerton. I hate the rest of their material, but damn is that a great album. I have fought it for years, I have been screaming for the death of this band, since roughly a few minutes after I first heard Hash Pipe and realized they weren't dead anymore. But I have always carried a secret torch for that unheralded in its own time masterpiece of a record that they released. I feel so dirty, cause honestly, other than those ten songs, I fucking hate Weezer. I just had to get that out.
The Man has a branch office in each of our brains, his corporate emblem is a white albatross, each local rep has a cover known as the Ego, and their mission in this world is Bad Shit.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    This is easy, it's because they are a good band.
    The Official Matt Cameron appreciation signature!
  • Options
    There a little to emo for me, i cant really listen to them, alothough i did have a brief love affair with insland in the sun, its so relaxing haha.
    Ten Club member 363***

7/11/06, 8/11/06, 18/11/06

escape is never the safest plan...
  • Options
    This is easy, it's because they are a good band.

No, it can't be!
    The Man has a branch office in each of our brains, his corporate emblem is a white albatross, each local rep has a cover known as the Ego, and their mission in this world is Bad Shit.
  • Options
    don't worry, there's nothing wrong with you.

pinkerton is glorious.
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
  • Options
    El_KabongEl_Kabong Posts: 4,141
    i like pinkerton and a lot of maladroit and the blue album kicks ass...the green is decent...but that last one...what a stanky piece of shit that was!!
    standin above the crowd
    he had a voice that was strong and loud and
    i swallowed his facade cos i'm so
    eager to identify with
    someone above the crowd
    someone who seemed to feel the same
    someone prepared to lead the way
  • Options
    don't worry, there's nothing wrong with you.

pinkerton is glorious.

It really is... not to get into specifics, but some of those songs are pretty much narrating shit that is going on in my head and life right now... its crazy.
  • Options
    mariposamariposa Posts: 2,523
    It's actually a good album.

Just as I thought...you've been feeling like one of their songs lately? :D Well that's what Weezer's gonna do with you.
    "All the strength that you might think would disappear, resolving..."
  • Options
    AxlUlrichAxlUlrich Posts: 12,652
    can't see why anyone would hate Pinkerton..Pinkerton is by far their best album with Blue album and Maladroit behind in second imo.
    LIVERPOOL FC -18 time League Champions-15 time Charity Shield Holders-7 time League Cup Winners-7 time FA Cup Winners-5 time European Champions-4 time UEFA Cup Winners-3 time European Super Cup Winners-1 time World Super Cup Winners

Walk on with hope in your heart
    YNWA
  • Options
    kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,323
    when that record came out, I was the only person I knew that loved it, and it was either love it or hate it.

i didn't even really relate to what rivers was singing about, but he sang it with such passion, and the band backed up his emotions so perfectly, particularly the drummer - that its just truly a record that's one in a million. i don't listen to it that often now, but when it came out i listened to it so much that i still remember every word, every note. when i met my fiance, the fact that she could sing every word of Pinkerton is, other than her being a Pearl Jam fanatic primarily, a pretty damn big reason i'm with her! LOL

when the green album came out, i couldn't help but notice rivers didn't have the same passion as he did on Pinkerton or the blue album for that matter. but all well written songs, and rivers sings them better live.

maladroit is EASILY their best guitar record. i can't think of any other record by any other band where the guitar playing is like it, in fact.

make believe has some of their best songs and their first ever bad songs - like Hold Me and a few others i'd rather forget the name of.
  • Options
    El_KabongEl_Kabong Posts: 4,141
    Kenny Olav wrote:
    maladroit is EASILY their best guitar record. i can't think of any other record by any other band where the guitar playing is like it, in fact.

make believe has some of their best songs and their first ever bad songs - like Hold Me and a few others i'd rather forget the name of.

i've always loved the guitar on maladroit, too.

to be honest i've only given make believe 1 listen...but i really disliked beverly hills and some of the others...what would you say are some of the good songs on it so maybe i can work myself thru another listen?
    standin above the crowd
    he had a voice that was strong and loud and
    i swallowed his facade cos i'm so
    eager to identify with
    someone above the crowd
    someone who seemed to feel the same
    someone prepared to lead the way
  • Options
    bayleafbayleaf Posts: 128
    Weezer kick ass
    ~*~*~*~*~*OFFICIAL KIWI JAMMER No 6*~*~*~*~*~
  • Options
    kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,323
    El_Kabong wrote:
    i've always loved the guitar on maladroit, too.

to be honest i've only given make believe 1 listen...but i really disliked beverly hills and some of the others...what would you say are some of the good songs on it so maybe i can work myself thru another listen?

its funny because i think the singles are the weakest songs from that album, although Perfect Situation is pretty good. my favorite songs are Peace, The Damage in Your Heart, My Best Friend, and The Other Way
  • Options
    oldermanolderman Posts: 1,765
    not up on all the weezer material. but a radio station in kc used to play a weezer song alot and i liked it. what are the weezer "hits?"

thanks!
    Down the street you can hear her scream youre a disgrace
    As she slams the door in his drunken face
    And now he stands outside
    And all the neighbours start to gossip and drool
    He cries oh, girl you must be mad,
    What happened to the sweet love you and me had?
    Against the door he leans and starts a scene,
    And his tears fall and burn the garden green
  • Options
    About a year before Green came out I was all about them. Telling everyone I saw about Pinkerton and how great it was. And it is. Then Green came out and, here's the part that gets me, I actually thought it was great. I even hung on up until Maladroit (which I think is a little better than green). I think I was in soem sort of denial or something cause I don't understand what I saw in those that was so great.
    Using the word "methinks" in your message board posts doesn't make you look smart.
  • Options
    Hitch-HikerHitch-Hiker Posts: 2,873
    Weezer are brilliant. Don't be ashamed of liking something thats brilliant.
    I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me
  • Options
    Weezer Hits:

Buddy Holly
    Say It Ain't So
    Hash Pipe
    Island In The Sun
    Beverly Hills
    Perfect Situation
  • Options
    JSBEJSBE Posts: 1,075
    weezer is dead to me after the blue album and pinkerton.
  • Options
    For me it's the other sounds than the guitars that really make Pinkerton a great album. The little piano touches, the background vocals, etc. I still think the Blue Album is their all time best though.
  • Options
    For me it's the other sounds than the guitars that really make Pinkerton a great album. The little piano touches, the background vocals, etc. I still think the Blue Album is their all time best though.

well said, production wise...that's an interesting album.
  • Options
    Weezer are sick!

Dopenose....ho ho ho what a song
    Wave came crashing...