~~~***U2 line up New Album***~~~

Comments

• SchmaktSchmakt Posts: 207
    *sigh*

I could do without this...

I would, however, love it if they made something that pissed off the Christian community, so I could stop having to listen to goddamned "40" in church.
    2003-04-15: Raleigh, NC
    2003-04-16: Charlotte, NC
    2004-10-06: Asheville, NC
    2006-05-30: Washington, DC
    2006-08-29: Arnhem, The Netherlands
    2006-12-02: Honolulu, Hawaii
    2012-06-26: Amsterdam, The Netherlands
    2012-09-22: Atlanta, GA
    2013-10-30: Charlotte, NC
    2014-01-19: Gold Coast, Australia
    2014-06-28: Stockholm, Sweden
    2014-06-29: Oslo, Norway
    2016-04-18: Hampton, VA
    2016-04-20: Raleigh, NC
    2016-04-21: Columbia, SC
    2018-07-01: Prague, Czech Republic
    2018-07-03: Krakow, Poland
    2018-09-04: Boston, MA
    2020-07-15: Budapest, Hungary
    2020-07-17: Zurich, Switzerland
    2023-09-19: Austin, TX
  • Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    i hope to God
    Mary J Blige isnt appearing anywhere near it

:rolleyes:
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,319
    Achtung Baby and Zooropa were genius inspired records - the's band apex I think. There's been nothing bad about their albums since then, and they occasionally have their moments, but I no longer have great expections when it comes to new U2 albums. But I still have high hopes.
  • surferdudesurferdude Posts: 2,057
    how 'bout telling us when they are coming to Melbourne? or at least finishing off the vertigo tour.
    Brightside is you may get some new tunes.
    “One good thing about music,
    when it hits you, you feel to pain.
    So brutalize me with music.”
    ~ Bob Marley
  • surferdudesurferdude Posts: 2,057
    I dont feel threatend by U2, and Im not trying to create an arugement.
    Im just voicing my opinion, and I don't have any positive thing to say about the though of a new U'2 album.

I have no problem with Binural and Riot, and still enjoy listening to them. I'd pick them over any of the radio friendly stuff U2 has done in the past 10 years.
    i wonder how people can say this. Walk On is a master piece in my books. Great song and great lyrics. Beautiful Day is a damn near pop masterpiece.

I almost think that Pearl Jam fans get jealous that U2 is still relevant and PJ can't sell a million albums anymore, even with all the publicity and media whoring they've been doing.
    “One good thing about music,
    when it hits you, you feel to pain.
    So brutalize me with music.”
    ~ Bob Marley
  • bostonloubostonlou Posts: 2,849
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    thats true his maneurisms anmd facial expressions are too much

Poncier

you are buddies w/ bostonlou, no ?

anyhow are you close by Cambridge ?

he gave me a reach around once but i was drunk

that's all! :)
    Don't Believe Everything You Think
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,685
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    Poncier

you are buddies w/ bostonlou, no ?

anyhow are you close by Cambridge ?
    I tried to give him a reach around once, but couldn't find anything to grab. :D

I live on the south shore now, but work in East Boston and am in Cambridge reasonably often for work.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    surferdude wrote:
    i wonder how people can say this. Walk On is a master piece in my books. Great song and great lyrics. Beautiful Day is a damn near pop masterpiece.

I almost think that Pearl Jam fans get jealous that U2 is still relevant and PJ can't sell a million albums anymore, even with all the publicity and media whoring they've been doing.

exactly what i was thinking. 'walk on' is incredible and some of the tunes off the new album are equally strong. certainly stronger than anything pearl jam had done until the self-titled album. i think there is some resentment there that u2 has managed to remain relevant and on top of the world and pearl jam is kind of a joke/punching bag to the general music mainstream.
  • bostonloubostonlou Posts: 2,849
    Poncier wrote:
    I tried to give him a reach around once, but couldn't find anything to grab. :D

I live on the south shore now, but work in East Boston and am in Cambridge reasonably often for work.

that's because it was in imspinnins mouth at the time ;)

sorry... that's bad... but i guess not bad enough for me to not post it ;)

I keeed I keeed :)

what's in Cambridge??
    Don't Believe Everything You Think
    bostonlou wrote:
    what's in Cambridge??
    Where MIT?
  • Jammin909Jammin909 Posts: 888
    Knowing how U2 sticks with thier release schedule Summer 2007 will become at least Spring 2008.

Ahh my thoughts exactly. Haha when Bono speaks I take it with a grain of salt.

How about a mix of The First Time, Electrical Storm, and Discotheque for the new album!
    The less you know, the more you believe.
  • Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    http://www.showbizireland.com/news/june06/19-u2182.shtml

The Edge Honours Gallagher...

U2 Guitarist The Edge (or Dave Evans to his family) honoured the late great Blues strummer Rory Gallagher at the weekend with a Bronze sculpture in Temple Bar...

THE EDGE @ RORY GALLAGHER CORNER

The Edge made the ultimate tribute to Irish Blues guitarist Rory Gallagher at the weekend when he unveiled a bronze sculpture of Rory's famous Fender Stratocaster...

Perched up high under the Rory Gallagher Corner sign the sculpture is well out of reach of anyone who fancies strumming on the to-scale replica (unless a group of drunken revelers form a human pyramid!).

RORY GALLAGHER CORNER

The Edge unveiled the sculpture with the help of Rory's brother Donal Gallagher, Dermot McLaughlin and Dublin Lord Mayor Catherine Byrne.

Although the rest of the U2 boys were not at the ceremony we heard that Bono was lurking around somewhere in the background with his mate Guggi...

THE EDGE, DONAL GALLAGHER & DERMOT MCLAUGHLIN @ RORY GALLAGHER CORNER

Rory Gallagher died of Liver failure in London in 1995 at the age of 47 but he will always be remembered as the man who brought the Electric guitar to prominence in Ireland inspiring bands like U2 and Thin Lizzy.

RORY GALLAGHER

A bit of a departure from Rory Gallagher but strip club boss Peter Stringfellow was strumming on a few g-strings at the weekend when he launched his new VIP card for regulars at Stringfellows...
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • LedZepFanLedZepFan Posts: 1,009
    Jammin909 wrote:
    Ahh my thoughts exactly. Haha when Bono speaks I take it with a grain of salt.

How about a mix of The First Time, Electrical Storm, and Discotheque for the new album!

sounds fucking great to me...although my favorite Zooropa track is the title track...how underrated is that song. damn.
    I've faced it, a life wasted, and I'm never going back again.

Some die just to live.
  • Kenny Olav wrote:
    Achtung Baby and Zooropa were genius inspired records - the's band apex I think. There's been nothing bad about their albums since then, and they occasionally have their moments, but I no longer have great expections when it comes to new U2 albums. But I still have high hopes.

This is exactly how I feel about these guys, the last 2 albums just seemed to be them on Autopilot, admitted their are great moments on these albums but compared to Achtung, Zooropa and yes Pop! I feel a little cheated, I got into this band thru Achtung and loved Zooropa & Pop.

Granted they may have been unsure about Pop but it still is more exciting than the last 2 albums.

I beleive U2 fans fall into 2 camps those who loved the early stuff and everything up to Joshua Tree & those like myself who wre turned on to them by Achtung. i think the early fans are most likely to be delighted with the last 2 and the latter not as they were turned onto a band willing to take risks not one who is just coasting.

I really hope this album excites like Advoca has, I beleive it's still in them to surprise if they can be bothered, i got into this band and stayed with them because they were adaptable and changing but if they continue the trajectory of All you can't & HTDAAB then theirs one passenger who will be getting off the good ship U2.
  • neartodeathneartodeath Posts: 167
    As far as the one who said they "make millions at the expense of their fans." I'm kind of glad they do it the way they do. One reason is that even at a range of $50-$150, U2's entire tour sold out in a single day. I was lucky to get tickets. If they had cost any less, the demand would have doubled and I mighthave missed them. I'm not rich by any stretch of the imagination, but I was perfectly happy to pay $110 for the top notch show U2 put on last year.

Second. U2 puts a lot of money INTO the show. Their stage and visual set up is always awesome, and it doesn't come cheap either. Some artists (I'm looking your way, Mr. Springsteen. Or at you Eagles) charge an arm and a leg to put on a show that could be essentially done in a bar.

I say, keep on rockin' U2.

i dont go to see a band because they have a beautiful back drop with a million cool lights and perhaps a giant lemon...i go only because of the music...i dont need to pay extra for the other crap. thank you very much...

what amazes me is that i dont think U2 have a leg to satnd on with their songs ALONE...they always have to make a spectacle of themselves to get the point across...WHICH IS EXACTLY WHY I LOVE PEARL JAM

bottom line is that no band is worth more than $90 per ticket
  • Save MeSave Me Posts: 147
    I like an occasional U2 song but I don't believe they're in the same league as PJ. Bono writing songs on the piano? Good luck. The man's not a musician. Good voice, good but overly pretentious lyrics and that's about it. IMO their music comes across as preachy and righteous and I'm not jealous about their success. Just don't like the music and don't like the frontman. He comes across as if he's playing a character to me. I get no sense of the real person and therefore, can't get into the songs, unlike Ed, who's just himself. Big difference.
    "The Wild is chasing after me. Hot on my trail won't leave me alone. All I can see is your blood right in front of me, and I can't kill The Wild." Me
  • gusturtlegusturtle Posts: 442
    . .
  • gusturtlegusturtle Posts: 442
    POP was my favorite and I'm probably a minority there.

You're definitely right about that! (Besides, Zooropa blows POP away).
  • applenutapplenut Posts: 67
    Save Me wrote:
    I like an occasional U2 song but I don't believe they're in the same league as PJ. Bono writing songs on the piano? Good luck. The man's not a musician. Good voice, good but overly pretentious lyrics and that's about it. IMO their music comes across as preachy and righteous and I'm not jealous about their success. Just don't like the music and don't like the frontman. He comes across as if he's playing a character to me. I get no sense of the real person and therefore, can't get into the songs, unlike Ed, who's just himself. Big difference.

With all due respect to Eddie and Pearl Jam but they are not amazing lyricist. I don't think they ever claim to be either. Their writing is perhaps the weakest part of the band. Their "protest songs" and anti-bush/war songs could be written by a grade school student. Neil Young showed with Living with War how to write a real antiwar/bush album. Pearl Jam were given a strong lesson in song writing.

Bono is a significantly better songwriter than anyone in PearlJam. The last Pearl Jam album that had strongly written emotional content all the way through was Ten. Every album since has had lyrical highlights sporadically sprinkled throughout.

Also, claiming Eddie is a superior "musician" is just stupid. When did musicianship become a competition? From my perspective they both pretty much suck at guitar and anything else they play. They are singers and songwriters. Bono has written so many good songs that they probably outnumber every song Eddie has ever written... good and bad.
    i dont go to see a band because they have a beautiful back drop with a million cool lights and perhaps a giant lemon...i go only because of the music...i dont need to pay extra for the other crap. thank you very much...

what amazes me is that i dont think U2 have a leg to satnd on with their songs ALONE...they always have to make a spectacle of themselves to get the point across...WHICH IS EXACTLY WHY I LOVE PEARL JAM

Um... last time I checked their stage setup for the last 2 worldwide tours consisted of pretty much a standard stage with the exception of a oval walkway or a heart walkway.

Their music stands on its own. Stop spewing bullshit.
  • Save MeSave Me Posts: 147
    applenut wrote:
    With all due respect to Eddie and Pearl Jam but they are not amazing lyricist. I don't think they ever claim to be either. Their writing is perhaps the weakest part of the band. Their "protest songs" and anti-bush/war songs could be written by a grade school student. Neil Young showed with Living with War how to write a real antiwar/bush album. Pearl Jam were given a strong lesson in song writing.

Bono is a significantly better songwriter than anyone in PearlJam. The last Pearl Jam album that had strongly written emotional content all the way through was Ten. Every album since has had lyrical highlights sporadically sprinkled throughout.

Also, claiming Eddie is a superior "musician" is just stupid. When did musicianship become a competition? From my perspective they both pretty much suck at guitar and anything else they play. They are singers and songwriters. Bono has written so many good songs that they probably outnumber every song Eddie has ever written... good and bad.

Claiming that Ed is a superior musician is not stupid, it's my opinion. Thank you very much.

Ed's actually a pretty good guitarist. As a guitarist and pianist myself, I've observed that he plays very good and competent rythm guitar. Bono can barely play at all. That's a fact. As for the lyrical content, to each his own. I think Ed's a far superior writer. His lyrics are less preachy to me and more emotional. I could care less about his political songs. That's a handful. I'm talking about the total package and to me they're not even close.
    "The Wild is chasing after me. Hot on my trail won't leave me alone. All I can see is your blood right in front of me, and I can't kill The Wild." Me
    Save Me wrote:
    Claiming that Ed is a superior musician is not stupid, it's my opinion. Thank you very much.

Ed's actually a pretty good guitarist. As a guitarist and pianist myself, I've observed that he plays very good and competent rythm guitar. Bono can barely play at all. That's a fact. As for the lyrical content, to each his own. I think Ed's a far superior writer. His lyrics are less preachy to me and more emotional. I could care less about his political songs. That's a handful. I'm talking about the total package and to me they're not even close.

There are several million "pretty good guitarists". It means absolutely nothing.

So if you want to say Eddie is a better songwriter because he is a better mediocre guitarist than another songwriter than....well... that's a pathetic argument.

From what you write, it's clear you have little grasp of Bono's writing.
  • direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    applenut wrote:
    Um... last time I checked their stage setup for the last 2 worldwide tours consisted of pretty much a standard stage with the exception of a oval walkway or a heart walkway.

Their music stands on its own.

I couldn't agree more. The whole idea behind the last two tours was to get away from the giant lemon stuff and just have the band on stage playing the songs. Check out the "Live at Slane Castle" DVD. The only extras they use in their stage show are four giant video screens over top of the stage, and the aforementioned oval walkway thingy. Aside from that, it's just the four of them on stage rockin' out.
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits

The best tickets for U2 were $54.50 for every show. Can Pearl Jam say the same?

Let's not get into ticket prices. Pearl Jam certainly has taken advantage of their fans in recent years with the price of tickets, mechandise and bootlegs.
  • rival9500rival9500 Posts: 570
    applenut wrote:
    The best tickets for U2 were $45 for every show. Can Pearl Jam say the same?

Let's not get into ticket prices. Pearl Jam certainly has taken advantage of their fans in recent years with the price of tickets, mechandise and bootlegs.

Actually, the best seats (if you consider floor the best) were $61 each for this past Vertigo tour. So, that is around the same price as pearl jam. By the way, u2 also had seats for something like $160 each too and a $ 80 seat if I remember correctly. I love both bands, but pearl jam is overall the cheaper ticket to buy.
    1998: Pitt
    2000: Pitt
    2003: Pitt, State College, Columbus,DC, Hershey
    2004: Reading, Toledo, DC
    2005: Pitt
    2006: Cleve, Camden 1+2, DC, Pitt, Cinci
    2008: Camden 1+2, DC
    2009: Philly 3
    2010: Columbus
    2012: Philly
    2013: Pitt, NYC 1+2
    rival9500 wrote:
    Actually, the best seats (if you consider floor the best) were $61 each for this past Vertigo tour. So, that is around the same price as pearl jam. By the way, u2 also had seats for something like $160 each too and a $ 80 seat if I remember correctly. I love both bands, but pearl jam is overall the cheaper ticket to buy.

Sorry, I was wrong. The best tickets were 54.50. They were 49.50 on the Elevation tour.

Pearl jam has cost me more money than every U2 show I have attended
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    Save Me wrote:
    As for the lyrical content, to each his own. I think Ed's a far superior writer. His lyrics are less preachy to me and more emotional. I could care less about his political songs. That's a handful. I'm talking about the total package and to me they're not even close.

you're telling me

with or without you
    one
    where the streets have no name
    all i want is you
    walk on
    pride (in the name of love)
    bad
    bullet the blue sky
    kite
    sometimes you cant make it on your own

arent emotional?

i think you're letting bono's earlier flag-waving sunday bloody sunday days distort your views there man.
    you're telling me

with or without you
    one
    where the streets have no name
    all i want is you
    walk on
    pride (in the name of love)
    bad
    bullet the blue sky
    kite
    sometimes you cant make it on your own

arent emotional?

i think you're letting bono's earlier flag-waving sunday bloody sunday days distort your views there man.

What are you talking about? Bugs, Satan's Bed, and Pilate are far superior songs and emotional!!

Damn flagwavers
  • applenut wrote:
    Sorry, I was wrong. The best tickets were 54.50. They were 49.50 on the Elevation tour.

Pearl jam has cost me more money than every U2 show I have attended

Actually, the Vertigo Tour floor tickets were $49.50 each. That price got me front row at 2 concerts in 2005. You can't get a better value than that.
    Actually, the Vertigo Tour floor tickets were $49.50 each.
    This is correct.
    But I don't think slagging Pearl Jam for $51 tickets (Petty shows notwithstanding) makes sense. Pearl Jam tix are very fairly priced, and the $51 is for all seats, whereas U2 had $49.50 GAs and rear balconies, but other seats had base prices of $95 and $165.
    I think both bands keep their prices at reasonable levels in today's market.
    U2 could get more than $165 for their top ticket if they wanted, but they avoid the McCartney, Madonna, Stones, Streisand stratosphere of prices.