Options

New Bob Pollard-From a Compound Eye

lukins fridgelukins fridge Posts: 237
edited January 2006 in Other Music
anybody pick this up yet? it just came out today, just hope i can find it at my local record store :rolleyes: LOL

anyway, allmusic.com gave it a good review:

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:4wdqoararij9~T1
Those undecided,........ Needn't have faith to be free
And those misguided, There was a plan for them to be
Now you got both sides Claiming killing in Gods name
But God is nowhere,..... To be found, conveniently

What goes on?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    StoneG82StoneG82 Posts: 806
    HOLY SHIT! I was actually going to start a thread, but then I thought "oh, well no one will know what I'm talking about"

This record is unbelieveable. Its the best thing Pollard has done in years. "Love is Stronger than Witchcraft" is a favorite, along with "Conqueror of the Moon" (damn, this song is UNREAL!)

Seriously though, the whole record is a masterpiece.

Anyone catching him on the FaCE tour? I'm seeing him in DC on saturday. I cant wait.
    "What’s Orphans? I don’t know. Orphans is a dead end kid driving a coffin with big tires across the Ohio River wearing welding goggles and a wife beater with a lit firecracker in his ear." - Tom Waits
  • Options
    StoneG82 wrote:
    HOLY SHIT! I was actually going to start a thread, but then I thought "oh, well no one will know what I'm talking about"

This record is unbelieveable. Its the best thing Pollard has done in years. "Love is Stronger than Witchcraft" is a favorite, along with "Conqueror of the Moon" (damn, this song is UNREAL!)

Seriously though, the whole record is a masterpiece.

Anyone catching him on the FaCE tour? I'm seeing him in DC on saturday. I cant wait.

i listened to the first 7 last night - liked it alot. i'm listening to the whole thing at work this afternoon and can't wait.

tickets aren't on sale for philly yet, but i'll be there.

What goes on?
  • Options
    i listened to the first 7 last night - liked it alot. i'm listening to the whole thing at work this afternoon and can't wait.

tickets aren't on sale for philly yet, but i'll be there.

cool. I cannot wait to hear these songs live. Conqueror of the Moon, Blessed in an Open Head, Love is Stronger than Witchcraft, The Right Thing....and on and on. These concerts are going to ROCK!

I read somewhere that he will be playing most of FaCE, some older solo tunes, a few side project things, and ALL GBV encores.
    "What’s Orphans? I don’t know. Orphans is a dead end kid driving a coffin with big tires across the Ohio River wearing welding goggles and a wife beater with a lit firecracker in his ear." - Tom Waits
  • Options
    StoneG82 wrote:
    cool. I cannot wait to hear these songs live. Conqueror of the Moon, Blessed in an Open Head, Love is Stronger than Witchcraft, The Right Thing....and on and on. These concerts are going to ROCK!

I read somewhere that he will be playing most of FaCE, some older solo tunes, a few side project things, and ALL GBV encores.

yep all GBV encore will rock beyond belief. crazy anticipation in the crowd. i just checked and they haven't put tickets for philly up yet - it's the last show of the tour i think.

i just got into gbv this past year and i can't believe i never discovered them before. i've bought of their 9 albums since june (!)

What goes on?
  • Options
    yep all GBV encore will rock beyond belief. crazy anticipation in the crowd. i just checked and they haven't put tickets for philly up yet - it's the last show of the tour i think.

i just got into gbv this past year and i can't believe i never discovered them before. i've bought of their 9 albums since june (!)

haha. How did you like the rest of FaCE? Did "Conqueror of the Moon" kick your ass?

GBV are one of my all time favorite bands. Seriously underrated.
  • Options
    StoneG82 wrote:
    haha. How did you like the rest of FaCE? Did "Conqueror of the Moon" kick your ass?

GBV are one of my all time favorite bands. Seriously underrated.

hell yeah, "Conqueror of the Moon" is awesome! sounds kinda Who-ish which is a great thing. actually a bunch of songs on there sound like The Who.

no doubt about them being underated. did you get the DVD? i had only seen pics of them and never saw them live. watching the DVD, it looks like a pretty interesting show to say the least.

he's such a great songwriter - the songs are so simple, but sound great. i love how critics call his voice quasi-british. first off, that just sounds funny for some reason (i think Dr. Evil) but mainly it's funny because you can't really tell where he's from, from his voice...but you would never guess Ohio.

What goes on?
  • Options
    hell yeah, "Conqueror of the Moon" is awesome! sounds kinda Who-ish which is a great thing. actually a bunch of songs on there sound like The Who.

no doubt about them being underated. did you get the DVD? i had only seen pics of them and never saw them live. watching the DVD, it looks like a pretty interesting show to say the least.

he's such a great songwriter - the songs are so simple, but sound great. i love how critics call his voice quasi-british. first off, that just sounds funny for some reason (i think Dr. Evil) but mainly it's funny because you can't really tell where he's from, from his voice...but you would never guess Ohio.

The DVD is great. I love the part when Bob goes over and sings "Drinker's Peace" while sitting at the bar doing shots and smoking a cig. Thats so fucking rock n roll.

I never got to see GBV live, and I'm hoping Saturday night makes up for it.

Bob is the man. I'd really love to meet him sometime. He seems so down to earth and cool. Last year, a friend and I sent him some fan mail, (I know, we really have no life) and he actually sent a handwritten letter back to us. I thought that was really cool.
  • Options
    First BOB show was last night....heres the setlist

denied
    i surround you naked
    get a faceful (from normal happiness)
    gold
    maggie turns to flies
    light show
    blessed in an open head
    all men are freezing (from bubble)
    supernatural car lover (from normal happiness)
    other dogs remain
    make use
    dancing girls and dancing men
    kick me and cancel
    dolphins of color (circus devils)
    boxing about (from normal happiness)
    US mustard company
    fresh threats, salad shooters, and zip guns
    conqueror of the moon
    hammer in your eyes
    50 year old baby
    flowering orphan
    the right thing
    i'm a strong lion
    serious bird woman, you turn me on (from normal happiness)
    7th level shutdown (from choreographed man of war)
    i'm a widow
    a boy in motion
    love is stronger than witchcraft
    look at your life (moping swans)
    the numbered head
    get under it
    do something real
    the kingdom without (including outro!)
    recovering
    ----
    girls of wild strawberries
    game of pricks
    sad if i lost it
    back to the lake
    tractor rape chain
    fair touching
    things i will keep
    my kind of soldier
    don't stop now

ROCK! how cool is opening a show with "Denied"?

I can't wait for tomorrow night.
  • Options
    awesome set! i love all those songs and if i get to hear "game of pricks" live i'll scream like a friggin school girl. where'd you get the set?

let me know how your show was and YES "drinkers peace" at the bar on stage on that DVD made me want to get pissed and crank some rock and roll.

What goes on?
  • Options
    Last night was honestly the greatest show I have ever seen. Pollard is at the top of his game. They played pretty much the exact same set as the one I posted earlier. openeing the show with "Denied" is so fucking amazing.

I sang the entire encore arm in arm with all the other GBV nuts. it was great. Game of Pricks kicked so much ass.

I'd elaborate more, but i'm too tired.