Rockabilly

thebettermanthebetterman Posts: 657
edited September 2007 in Other Music
Hey, kinda getting into the rockabilly scene, i'm looking for suggestions to some good bands, thanks.
-one thing to remember, always have a good time, all the time
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    start with Reverend Horton Heat
  • transplant wrote:
    start with Reverend Horton Heat

Actually they're why i'm getting into the scene... excellent suggestion though otherwise.
  • red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    http://www.rockabilly.net/links/bands.shtml

Rev Horton heat Rocks! They are even better live!

Not sure if Brian Setzer counts, but he had a band in the 80's called "the stray cats" that may qualify.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    ok, perhaps give the Supersuckers a listen. I can't recommend a specific CD as I only have Must've Been High which is more of a country listen than a rockabilly one. I have seen them live however and they fit the bill. I just can't claim to be the biggest fan of the genre.

I would also strongly consider Mike Ness's Cheating at Solitaire. This may not qualify as a pure rockabilly release, it has plenty of elements, however Setzer does play on it so I say it qualifies :) Not to mention this CD is fucking great.
  • what the hell is rockabilly???
    This isn't the land of opportunity, it's the land of competition.
  • supersuckers are great, i don't think of them in the same vein, but i can see where you get that.

Mike Ness is god.

thanks so much transplant. Red Mos, thank you too.
  • Download the mix in this journal:
    http://www.last.fm/user/ACKthehack/journal/2007/08/31/513592/

Should give you a pretty good basis for your journey.

I'll also add Dan Sartain. I love his album "Join Dan Sartain."

I might be the only one, but Eagles of Death Metal comes off as a type of rockabilly/psychobilly to me. So, they're worth looking into as well.
    I share a cigarette with negativity.
  • If you have a way to listen to XM, thier punk channel, Fungus 53, does what they call Hee Haw Hell every weekday at 6 and 12. It's all Rockabilly and what they call Cow Punk. They regularly play the Reverend, the Cramps, and Mojo Nixon. Some others that stand out to me are Tiger Army, Reach Around Rodeo Clowns, and the Phenomanauts.
  • stickfig13stickfig13 Posts: 1,532
    Social "mother fucking" Distortion!
    Sacramento 10-30-00, Bridge School 10-20 and 10-21-01, Bridge School 10-25 and 10-26-01, Irvine 06-02-03, Irvine 06-03-03, San Diego 06-05-03, San Diego 07-07-06, Los Angeles 07-09-06, Santa Barbara 07-13-06, London UK 06-18-07, San Diego 10-9-09, San Diego 2013, LA 1 2013
  • red mos wrote:
    http://www.rockabilly.net/links/bands.shtml

Rev Horton heat Rocks! They are even better live!

Not sure if Brian Setzer counts, but he had a band in the 80's called "the stray cats" that may qualify.

Hell ya setzer and the stray cats count - best rockabilly band ever!
    http://mastersofourdomain.blogspot.com/

My Movie/Music Reviews & Sports Blog
  • Uh....Elvis?

Edit: OK, that was a little snarky, but seriously, start with the source.

Carl Perkins
    Jerry Lee Lewis
    Elvis Presley
    Ricky Nelson
    Eddie Cochran

This is the real fuckin' deal. Most of the bands (not all) mentioned above are much more punk, rock, and psychobilly than what Reverend Horton Heat (your starting point) sounds like and has been influenced by.
    Using the word "methinks" in your message board posts doesn't make you look smart.
  • Foxy MopFoxy Mop Posts: 2,823
    One of my BFF's is just getting into it too; not only the music but the scene as well.. gonna do some info hunting for him..
    Wishlist Foundation

This is my kind of love...
    ♥♥♥
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    You might like Tiger Army which are kind of an offshoot from rockabilly. I've seen them live - they rock.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008