And the new Silverchair single is.....

ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,761
edited November 2007 in Other Music
The Greatest View????

http://fmqb.com/Article.asp?id=16770

http://www.chairpage.com/app/webroot/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7869&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Granted "Diorama" didn't get any push here in the states because of Dan's illness, but releasing a song 5 years old? "Young Modern" has a couple of song that I think could do very well in the States. "Straight Lines" did well, and I think that "Reflections of a Sound" and "Waiting All Day" could also have the same sort of impact.

Hmmmmm
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• That's interesting. My only thougth and reasoning behind this is that Straight Lines and Young Modern have really gone over well and brought silverchair back so to speak here in the US that they want to keep it going and re-release a rocking song that flew under the radar. Greatest View is one of my favorite chair songs and Diorama is an incredible album. But it got NO attention in the US. So they must be riding their own coatails here.
    PJ - 36
    EV - 5
    (**Letterman'02, Irving Plaza, Storytellers, Beacon, ACL, Spectrum 3&4, Bridge School '10**)

"Constant recoil,..sometimes life don't leave you alone."
    Let's connect on twitter - @Jeffgorra
  • kenshuntkenshunt Posts: 2,863
    WTF doesn't make any sense at all, c'mon i saw the video for the greatest view, waiting all day should be the next single.
    London 2005
    Toronto 2011 night 2
    Hamilton 2011
    London 2013
  • i think that is kind of awesome.

who says you have to release singles off ONLY your current album? it shows they are evolving not only musically, but with the changing music climate as well.

good for them for thinking outside the box.
    You can't spell "dumb" without DMB
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    this is an interesting tactic. diorama did seem to appear and disappear pretty quickly. it probly had a lot to do with their inability to tour for the album over here. i think people missed it. maybe it makes sense for them. people who hear it might be more likely to pick it up, esp since there are used copies floating cheap around here all the time. it might be a better transition for them too. neon ballroom was a big step forward for them, and diorama pushed things even further. but i feel like young modern is the album where they really tossed out the past, shook their baby grunge background, and came into their own. to an american audience whose last memory of silverchair is ana's song or anthem for the year 2000, young modern might be very confusing. so maybe it makes sense for them to take another shot at promoting another link in the chain. i think diorama is a pretty critical piece of the band's history and evolution. and people who like ana's song but don't get young modern might give it another shot after hearing diorama.

definitely weird though. of course, in the old days, a single was a single and didn't have to be on any album anywhere at all. so it could be stranger.
  • I'm thinking a re-release of Diorama might be in the mix. Soulsinging is right when he says it went nowhere here. I think some people might be turned off because of songs like Across The Night and Tuna In The Brine, but there are plenty of "Ana's Song" pop song on the album too. "Luv Your Life" is a hit if I've ever heard one, "Without You" would work wonders on Modern Rock, and "After All These Years" is one of the most beautiful pieces of music I've ever heard.

That's it...time to put on Diorama. What I would do to score a vinyl version of this album.
  • it doesnt make much sense to me, but this band is so far above singles that it is irrelevant to me. most of the singles they have released have been the more medicore songs on an album. thet truly artistic work is usually "too long" non-traditional for radio. if they want to release a song off of Diorama, it should be Tuna in the Brine. Without You might be more radio-friendly though.

...and Waiting All Day is BY FAR the worst song on YM.

love this band and cant wait to see them back in Chicago!
    -

"In your case, I'll check my brain at the door and we'll start even, okay?"

Have you thanked a taper today?
  • and "After All These Years" is one of the most beautiful pieces of music I've ever heard.

agreed, but if you havent heard the b-side Asylum, you should.
    -

lowlight10 wrote:
    if they want to release a song off of Diorama, it should be Tuna in the Brine. Without You might be more radio-friendly though.

im gonna be at that show too. the opening band is amazing too... silversun pickups. dyou know anything about the house of blues pre-dinner thing?

waiting all day might be my least favorite on the album, but that has more to do with the album being so good than it does with that being a bad song. i love that tune.
  • lowlight10 wrote:
    agreed, but if you havent heard the b-side Asylum, you should.

Asylum wins as the most beautiful piece of music I've heard this millenium...After All These Years is probably 5th.

I'd love Dan to do more piano work.

Tuna in the Brine released? I don't think that will gain any new fans. Luv Your Life would do pretty well I think. Waiting All Day reminds me a lot of 60's rock which is why I love it. It's not my favorite on the album (IYKLS), but it isn't my least favorite.
  • im gonna be at that show too. the opening band is amazing too... silversun pickups. dyou know anything about the house of blues pre-dinner thing?

If you two are going I think I might have to decide to go to that show. Hmmmmm.
    If you two are going I think I might have to decide to go to that show. Hmmmmm.

hehe, cmon man... everybody's doin it ;)
  • I'm going to bring this up w/ Mrs. ledvedderman tonight and I'll check if there are still tickets.
    I'm going to bring this up w/ Mrs. ledvedderman tonight and I'll check if there are still tickets.

keep me posted. i could even run by my gf to see if y'all could stay in our guestroom if you wanted. though i guess it is a weds.
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,262
    hehe, cmon man... everybody's doin it ;)

damm any more east coast dates for these guys ....??
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • kenshuntkenshunt Posts: 2,863
    lowlight10 wrote:
    it doesnt make much sense to me, but this band is so far above singles that it is irrelevant to me. most of the singles they have released have been the more medicore songs on an album. thet truly artistic work is usually "too long" non-traditional for radio. if they want to release a song off of Diorama, it should be Tuna in the Brine. Without You might be more radio-friendly though.

I like Waiting All Day, but i also like every song on the Album, i tend to think Reflection Of A Sound is the worst.
    London 2005
    Toronto 2011 night 2
    Hamilton 2011
    London 2013
  • kenshunt wrote:
    I like Waiting All Day, but i also like every song on the Album, i tend to think Reflection Of A Sound is the worst.

I think ROAS is probably the worst on the album, and the fact that I still love that song shows how solid of an album beginning to end it truly is.
  • I believe Q101 is saying that night 3 of Twisted 14 (silverchair) is sold out.

never heard silversun pickups, but will check em out before the show.

the dinner gets you into the venue early before doors open. I believe this will be an early show with a 10pm curfew (all ages), so hopefully silverchair doesnt get cut short.
    -

• lowlight10 wrote:
    I believe Q101 is saying that night 3 of Twisted 14 (silverchair) is sold out.

the dinner gets you into the venue early before doors open. I believe this will be an early show with a 10pm curfew (all ages), so hopefully silverchair doesnt get cut short.

Why are they going as Twisted 14 for this show when they're promoting a new album
  • Why are they going as Twisted 14 for this show when they're promoting a new album

Twisted Xmas used to be Q101's annual xmas show at an arena where some small bands and some big bands played 30-60 minutes each. now its a lame little 3-day stretch of shows in the middle of the week at the House of Blues, 3 bands per night. Silverchair is playing the 3rd night.

I hope that clears things up. I'm not sure what you meant, but I dont see why they cant play Twisted and promote the new album. As long as they play their full set, they can call it Lillith Fair for all I care.
    -

• lowlight10 wrote:
    Twisted Xmas used to be Q101's annual xmas show at an arena where some small bands and some big bands played 30-60 minutes each. now its a lame little 3-day stretch of shows in the middle of the week at the House of Blues, 3 bands per night. Silverchair is playing the 3rd night.

I hope that clears things up. I'm not sure what you meant, but I dont see why they cant play Twisted and promote the new album. As long as they play their full set, they can call it Lillith Fair for all I care.

I'm a moron. I thought you meant they were playing under the name Twisted 14. I know sometimes they do shows under a different name and I couldn't remember what it was. My bad.
  • gotcha. no, this isnt a "George Costanza Trio" situation.
    -

• mulva9mulva9 Posts: 417
    Speaking of The George Costanza Trio, there is a myspace page with some tunes I've never heard before.
  • mulva9 wrote:
    Speaking of The George Costanza Trio, there is a myspace page with some tunes I've never heard before.

Yeah, those are the If You Keep Losing Sleep b-sides...good stuff
    lowlight10 wrote:
    I believe Q101 is saying that night 3 of Twisted 14 (silverchair) is sold out.

yeah, the email i got said that only select shows will do the early admit thing. have you called HoB to see if this is one of them? cos if so, im definitely going to do it. i want to be right up front so i can make requests, hehe.
  • great news...lets hope there is a US version...

SILVERCHAIR AND POWDERFINGER TOUR ANNOUNCES ONE MORE GIG … IN YOUR LOUNGEROOM!

2 bands, 34 shows, 26 towns, 24,467 kilometres, 20 arenas, 13 big top shows, 1 amphitheatre, 65 crew, 1,155 security, 5 stadium trucks, 9 outdoor trucks, 1,050 portaloos and most importantly over 220,000 screaming fans … this was the Across The Great Divide tour!

After embarking on the biggest concert tour this country has seen in a decade - across, around and ALL over Australia from Darwin to Ballarat to Toowoomba to Tasmania - the tour’s final show is coming to your loungeroom this Christmas with the release of a deluxe triple DVD.

This special three disc release is strictly a limited edition and will not be manufactured again after the 2007 holiday season. Fans can pre order the DVD from 12 noon (AEST), Monday, 19 November from http://www.acrossthegreatdivide.com.au/shop to receive a FREE Silverchair or Powderfinger T Shirt (stocks are strictly limited).

The first two discs of the Across the Great Divide Tour DVD feature full length live sets from both bands, including the duet ‘Substitute’, recorded at Rod Laver Arena in Melbourne on 18 and 19 September, 2007. Both discs have been mixed in the U.S. in 5.1 surround sound by the people who have each mixed studio albums for these bands.

The team behind the filming, PVC LIVE, have created concert specials for the likes of U2, Radiohead and Red Hot Chili Peppers. Their coverage of the Melbourne show featured an extraordinary 24 cameras so these concert DVD’s are on a whole new scale for Australian bands … just like the tour itself!

The third disc of this limited edition set is a candid 90 minute documentary film featuring all the hilarious action behind the scenes as this special tour makes its way Across the Great Divide.

Your Access All Areas pass is a 3 disc limited edition package which also includes a colour booklet featuring candid backstage shots. This is a must for every music fan and anyone that wants to relive this extraordinary tour.

Cheers,
    chairpage.com
    -

• yeah, the email i got said that only select shows will do the early admit thing. have you called HoB to see if this is one of them? cos if so, im definitely going to do it. i want to be right up front so i can make requests, hehe.

no, I dont bother. I have reasons to be in the back.
    -