John Mayer "Waiting On the World To Change"

ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,761
edited June 2006 in Other Music
I know some people on here don't like his earlier studio work, but i was pretty impressed with this song. It has an old 60's/70's vibe to it. It's the first single off of his new album out Sept. 12 "Continuum". Not to mention it's somewhat of a protest song which automatically puts it up a few bars in my book. Listen to it at johnmayer.com
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,843
    i think this guy sucks. what the hell is wrong with his voice? he sounds like Dave Matthews with downs syndrome
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    I listened to his new tune a few times yesterday and I like it. I'm a big fan of his stuff. Loved the Trio CD he put out and they were simply amazing live. I definitely think he doesn't get recognized enough for his skills as a guitarist. I'm looking forward to his new CD and plan on seeing him when he goes out on tour with Sheryl Crow. Not a big fan of hers, but I'd go for him. I definitely think his new disc is going to be even more of a departure from the "Room For Squares" than "Heavier Things" was.
  • bryn_cmbsbryn_cmbs Posts: 407
    the best thing this guy ever did was his guest spot on chappelle's show

That was a funny skit.
  • chimpatchimpat Posts: 590
    I like this song too, finally heard it for the first time yesterday. John's a good friend of mine and played me a couple cuts from the new album a few months back. There's this one song, I think it's called "Stop That Train" or something like that.....real good. He also told me a couple weeks ago that Ben Harper was coming into the studio to collaborate on a song for the new album. Definitely looking forward to it.

chimp
    "This is about as perfect a crowd as you can get. I hate to placate, I ain't placating...." - EV, 9/29/96

• iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    i think this guy sucks. what the hell is wrong with his voice? he sounds like Dave Matthews with downs syndrome

i like his voice; i don't like the faces he makes but i guess he's playing with feeling
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • neartodeathneartodeath Posts: 167
    i bought the new live cd he put out...a great 3 piece band that fucking rocks

it's really good
  • swedeswede Posts: 558

it's really good

agreed mate
  • ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,761

it's really good

That is a really good CD, probably my favorite CD he has put out, I did however think that Heavier Things was a pretty solid album, minus Daughters, which if I remember correctly he fought against the version they put on and that it was released as a single. The original version of Daughters was an electric clean tone song with a GREAT solo in the middle
  • fuckfuck Posts: 4,069
    That's enough John Mayer./familyguy
  • eddies grrleddies grrl Posts: 509
    john meyer's music makes me want to drown puppies.

ok, maybe not. but it does make me feel evil.
    Life is the riddle
    Of which we're caught in the middle.
    A couple of lucky ones
    Tangled up in too much love
    ~cowboy junkies
  • chimpatchimpat Posts: 590
    Here's a cool story for y'all. I've known John since the 6th grade, became good friends due to our love of music and we both were clowns so we'd always joke around. Over the years, even though we went different directions, we always stayed in touch. He's been great to me, always getting me into his shows (probably 30+) and letting me meet a bunch of people. He also pulled some strings and got me into PJ at Irving Plaza earlier this year which was unbelievably cool.

Well, he topped everything last week when he flew me, our buddy Dan and his brother Ben out to LA for his video shoot for his new single "Waiting on the World to Change". I thought I was going to watch the making of the video, but he ended up putting us all in the video.

We shot three scenes together: One was all of us playing video games, another was hanging out at a newsstand and the third was this awesome scene of us in an old convertible bonneville cruising down the street in LA with the sunset in the background. Who knows, all threes scenes might get cut for all I know, but I can honestly say it was one of the coolest damn experiences of my life.

He's always been a loyal and great friend to me and I couldn't be happier for him and his success. I can honestly say that he's one of the good guys in the business.

PT
    "This is about as perfect a crowd as you can get. I hate to placate, I ain't placating...." - EV, 9/29/96

• Thumbing My WayThumbing My Way Posts: 1,073
    This song is awesome......

Really cool vibe :):)

I'm still movin' :D
    "I Miss You Already!!!!!"

"Sorry is the fool who trades his love for high-rise rent, Seems the more you make equals the loneliness you get"

.NJD.
  • LedZepFanLedZepFan Posts: 1,009
    I love the Try! album so I have high hopes for Continuum
    I've faced it, a life wasted, and I'm never going back again.

Some die just to live.