Pop Rock...

ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,761
edited January 2008 in Other Music
What are some pop rock bands that have a spot for in your heart?

Better Than Ezra: They put out solid albums. They don't take themselves too seriously, and put on a hell of a live show.

Lifehouse: Yes, "Hanging By A Moment" and "You and Me" were played to death, but their second album "Stanley Climbfall" and fourth album "Who We Are" are both solid efforts. Good live band and Jason Wade is a hell of a songwriter.

Matt Nathanson: Reminds me a lot like BTE. Solid live shows, and the dude is funny as hell.

Jack Johnson: Not sure how "pop rock" he is, but I love the laid back feel of his songs and can't wait to hear the new album.

John Mayer: VERY talented dude if you get past his first album. "Continuum" was easily one of my favorite albums last year.

Matchbox Twenty: It feels like these guys have become not so much of a guilty pleasure and seem more accepted on this board. The album are usually 70% decent. "How Far We've Come" is a solid tune.

That pretty much sums it up for me.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• soclosesoclose Posts: 628
    I kinda like Matchbox Twenty as well. My mom is a fan, so I've heard everything through her. When it's time to listen to her music I'll pick Matchbox Twenty over Celine Dion or Garth Brooks any day.

I also have a real soft spot for the Gin Blossoms. They were sort of my first favorite band when I was in middle school. New Miserable Experience is actually a pretty great record aside from two or three overly cheesy songs.
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    What are some pop rock bands that have a spot for in your heart?

Better Than Ezra: They put out solid albums. They don't take themselves too seriously, and put on a hell of a live show.

Lifehouse: Yes, "Hanging By A Moment" and "You and Me" were played to death, but their second album "Stanley Climbfall" and fourth album "Who We Are" are both solid efforts. Good live band and Jason Wade is a hell of a songwriter.

Matt Nathanson: Reminds me a lot like BTE. Solid live shows, and the dude is funny as hell.

Jack Johnson: Not sure how "pop rock" he is, but I love the laid back feel of his songs and can't wait to hear the new album.

John Mayer: VERY talented dude if you get past his first album. "Continuum" was easily one of my favorite albums last year.

Matchbox Twenty: It feels like these guys have become not so much of a guilty pleasure and seem more accepted on this board. The album are usually 70% decent. "How Far We've Come" is a solid tune.

That pretty much sums it up for me.

What would be considered pop rock is questionable
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,761
    What would be considered pop rock is questionable

I guess rock music that you would hear on your local clear channel pop station.
    I guess rock music that you would hear on your local clear channel pop station.

Gin Blossoms
    Matchbox 20
    Pearl Jam (I hear Betterman and Daughter regularly on mix stations)
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

Gin Blossoms
    Matchbox 20
    Pearl Jam (I hear Betterman and Daughter regularly on mix stations)

I've never really given the Gin Blossoms a shot at all. I might have to do that.
    I've never really given the Gin Blossoms a shot at all. I might have to do that.

Check out New Miserable Experience, not a bad song on the record.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

• gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    I read somewhere that the Gin Blossoms were the first "adult alternative" band, whatever that means. I love the Gin Blossoms, specifically New Miserable Experience. You're right, not a bad song on the album.

Better than Ezra are great and great to see live. They haven't come this way for a few years though. Their 2001 album Closer is a superb "pop rock" album. I can't think of a song I don't like on it.

I love and have always loved the Lemonheads, if they count. They started off as punk but softened up quite a bit through the years. Their newest one actually has a harder edge than anything they've made since the 90's.

Are Counting Crows pop rock? If so, count them in. Great band even if their newer stuff has gotten pretty weak.

Going in an entirely different direction, I've always liked John Mellencamp. At least up through a few years ago. I think he absolutely sold out on his newest album and it's mostly unlistenable. But it makes for great commercials.
  • None.
    gabers wrote:
    Better than Ezra are great and great to see live. They haven't come this way for a few years though. Their 2001 album Closer is a superb "pop rock" album. I can't think of a song I don't like on it.

So many songs on that album could have been solid singles. "Misunderstood", "Closer", "Rollin'", "A Lifetime", "Get You In"....hell, every song could have been a single.
  • gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    So many songs on that album could have been solid singles. "Misunderstood", "Closer", "Rollin'", "A Lifetime", "Get You In"....hell, every song could have been a single.

I guess since they're not with a big label any more they can't get their music on the radio. You're right, every song on that album could have been a single.
    gabers wrote:
    I guess since they're not with a big label any more they can't get their music on the radio. You're right, every song on that album could have been a single.

Maybe w/ the exception to "Juarez". I felt the same way with "Before The Robots". I thought for sure "Southern Thing" and "Our Last Night" would tear up radio.
  • deadnotedeadnote Posts: 1,678
    the cure
    u2
    the smiths
    set your laughter free

dreamer in my dream

we got the guns

i love you,but im..............callin out.........callin out
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Goo Goo Dolls
    Foo Fighters
    John Mayer
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • TONIC

Those guys are fucking great (believe it or not). It's mellow enough that you can listen to it with a hangover, but rocks enough that you don't feel like a pussy. And the dude can sing.
    You can't spell "dumb" without DMB
  • itsevobabyitsevobaby Posts: 1,809
    third eye blind :o
    Look Alive,
    See These Bones
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,968
    itsevobaby wrote:
    third eye blind :o

I love 3eb, but I think they're a little dark to be considered "pop rock."

Love the Gin Blossoms. Great lyrics.

Glad to see Mellencamp mentioned. Awhile back, Rolling Stone did its Greatest 500 albums of all time and it was a CRIME that Mellencamp got no love at all. Come on! Lonesome Jubilee? Scarecrow? Big Daddy? Ah well, the folks at RS are often too full of themselves to admit that something could sell AND be decent. I think Mellencamp could be a decent opener for PJ.

Finally, let me add Collective Soul.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,968
    How could I forget????

(ducking down, readying for the assault)

Goo Goo Dolls!!!
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Mr Bungle
    "If my thoughts, dreams, could be seen, they'd probably put my head, in a guillotine, but it's alright ma, it's life and life only."
  • illegal pantsillegal pants Posts: 13,471
    massive matchbox twenty fan here

rob himself says the 2nd album was shitty and overproduced, but when it came to a live show, the songs sounded more rock...

better live band than studio IMO :D
    wah