Yer thoughts on "A love supreme"

pearlzepfanpearlzepfan Posts: 456
edited January 2008 in Other Music
?? Thinking of getting it, even though not too big on jazz
"I'm a thief, and I dig it"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I prefer chicken supreme.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • Matty BoyMatty Boy Posts: 421
    Pick up Charles Mingus's "The Black Saint And The Sinner Lady" instead.
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    ?? Thinking of getting it, even though not too big on jazz

It is a very good album. It is thought of as one of the best by one of the best for a reason.

Is this your first Jazz album?
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Yes, it'd be my first jazz album. I've never really went into jazz before, but I've always heard a lot about how great this album is, so I thought maybe I should try it out
    "I'm a thief, and I dig it"
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Matty Boy wrote:
    Pick up Charles Mingus's "The Black Saint And The Sinner Lady" instead.
    Or better still, pick up both, since they are both essential masterpieces.

I prefer ALS though.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Kind of Blue by Miles Davis is a very easy album to love. not that a love supreme is not mind you. With Kind of Blue you do get to hear John Coltrane and Miles Davis playing off of each other which as you can imagine is all sorts of cool :)
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • hendrix78hendrix78 Posts: 507
    A Love Supreme is my favorite jazz album of all time. It's one of my all time favorite records, period. Coltrane's playing is amazing on it, but so is Elvin Jones'. The album is the sound of one of the greatest bands of all time just going for it over a 4 note groove. Simple concept, amazing result.
  • EBowieEBowie Posts: 532
    You won't regret buying it whatsoever.
  • mole1985mole1985 Posts: 1,119
    intodeep wrote:
    Kind of Blue by Miles Davis is a very easy album to love. not that a love supreme is not mind you. With Kind of Blue you do get to hear John Coltrane and Miles Davis playing off of each other which as you can imagine is all sorts of cool :)

I agree with this. 'Kind of Blue' is an easier listen to then 'Love Supreme' as well so if this is your first stop in Jazzville i'd recommend 'Kind of Blue'.
    Dublin 2006
    Katowice 2007
    London 2007