Just got back from the NIN "Year Zero" listening party in Minneapolis (spoilers kinda

pearlzepfanpearlzepfan Posts: 456
edited March 2007 in Other Music
And man, this album is fantastic.

The album is a definite improvement on With Teeth
Much more computerized and less live sounding yet still accessible (not unlike The Downward Spiral)

This is possibly his best work yet. Very powerful stuff.
He even throws in a little attack on George W. Bush on the song Capitol G.

I can't wait to hear this with headphones. Best album of 2007 so far.
"I'm a thief, and I dig it"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• is it in fact a concept album as has been reported?

Is the album like avocado in that it is in its entirety an attack on the current way of the world and the current war etc...? Is every song about the current state of the world?
  • I would really love a run down description/review of all the tracks.

Spoilers schmoilers. I've stopped caring. :D
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • I would really love a run down description/review of all the tracks.

Spoilers schmoilers. I've stopped caring. :D

You are high on everything trent at the Moment. I love it!!!

Have you come accross Still(Halo 17) yet?
  • holtzholtz Posts: 509
    Wasn't this at the Varsity? I just saw something about it last night in the City Pages, unfotunately I couldn't go. Were there many people there?
  • You are high on everything trent at the Moment. I love it!!!

Have you come accross Still(Halo 17) yet?

LOL yeah I guess you could say that. Funny thing is, I was a naysayer before Brixton.

And nope I haven't. I don't really get the whole 'Halo' thing yet.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

• LOL yeah I guess you could say that. Funny thing is, I was a naysayer before Brixton.

And nope I haven't. I don't really get the whole 'Halo' thing yet.

Still is an acoustic album... I sense that you like some of the delicate stuff and this is the holy grail:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halo_17

there's videos of some of it here:

http://www.nin.com/visuals/index.html

I too took a while to get into Nine Inch nails... people usually tried to sell them to me through Broken... which never worked...
  • audiodaveaudiodave Posts: 1,623
    Broken is by far their most one dimensional work. Everything else is so much better in my opionion...and I love Broken!

Glad people are getting to hear the album. It needs to be heard. My favourite tracks after a couple of listens are In This Twilight and The Great Destroyer.
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

I don't wanna think, I wanna feel

Dublin 23/08/06 Lisbon I 04/09/06 Lisbon II 05/09/06 Paris 11/09/06 Verona 16/09/06

London 18/06/07 Dusseldorf 21/06/07 Copenhagen 26/06/07 Nijmegen 28/06/07
  • Still is an acoustic album... I sense that you like some of the delicate stuff and this is the holy grail:

I too took a while to get into Nine Inch nails... people usually tried to sell them to me through Broken... which never worked...

Thanks, I'll check this stuff out. You're right about me and the gentle stuff. IMO, it's easy enough to write a great hard rock song - in a way. The real tester of a great band is whether you're still interested when everything's stripped away and there's little to no distortion. Pearl Jam pass that test with flying colours, and so, apparently, do NIN :)

• Still is an acoustic album... I sense that you like some of the delicate stuff and this is the holy grail:

The video of 'The Becoming' from the Still album is one of the coolest things I've ever seen. How cool that the piano replaces the guitar riff. And man is it an awesome riff. Now excuse me while I go and be astounded...

• The video of 'The Becoming' from the Still album is one of the coolest things I've ever seen. How cool that the piano replaces the guitar riff. And man is it an awesome riff. Now excuse me while I go and be astounded...

Told you!!!!
  • audiodave wrote:
    Broken is by far their most one dimensional work. Everything else is so much better in my opionion...and I love Broken!

Glad people are getting to hear the album. It needs to be heard. My favourite tracks after a couple of listens are In This Twilight and The Great Destroyer.

The Great Destroyer - is this another leaked track?

• yield2meyield2me Posts: 1,291
    And man, this album is fantastic.

The album is a definite improvement on With Teeth
    Much more computerized and less live sounding yet still accessible (not unlike The Downward Spiral)

This is possibly his best work yet. Very powerful stuff.
    He even throws in a little attack on George W. Bush on the song Capitol G.

I can't wait to hear this with headphones. Best album of 2007 so far.

more details plz!!
    “May you live to be 100 and may the last voice you hear be mine.” - Frank Sinatra
  • lephtylephty Posts: 770
    lotsa new NIN details are here!

http://www.echoingthesound.org/phpbbx/viewtopic.php?t=20265

has a lot of info on the NIN ARG.
  • audiodaveaudiodave Posts: 1,623
    The Great Destroyer - is this another leaked track?

Nope. Heard the album twice before the Manchester and Birmingham shows.
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

I don't wanna think, I wanna feel

Dublin 23/08/06 Lisbon I 04/09/06 Lisbon II 05/09/06 Paris 11/09/06 Verona 16/09/06

London 18/06/07 Dusseldorf 21/06/07 Copenhagen 26/06/07 Nijmegen 28/06/07
  • mdigenakismdigenakis Posts: 1,337
    i heard my violent heart and i think its crap. survivalism is ok.
    Pretty Hate Machine, Broken, and Downward Spiral were the albums i got into first and their great (PHM's replay value is unlimited)
    With Teeth was good for the most part, i really enjoyed all but two tracks. Year Zero dosen't sound that good to me so far.
    "Don't let the darkness eat you up..."

-Greg Dulli