pearlzepfanpearlzepfan Posts: 456
edited May 2008 in Other Music
????????
"I'm a thief, and I dig it"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Astral Weeks.

One of the best albums ever actually. The title track and Sweet Thing are so beautiful. Moondance is damn close though, the first side (in LP terms) is flawless. Also, St Dominic's Preview and Veedon Fleece are both brilliant.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • rcsrcs Posts: 711
    Astral Weeks. I love pretty much everything Van the Man has ever released, but Astral Weeks is just unique and astounding. One of the best albums of all time.
    E agora? Faz xixi na mão e deita fora!
  • orig_long redorig_long red Posts: 2,029
    on one of his Them albums, he did a cover of Dylans "It's all over now, baby blue," which contains the greatest piano melody ever recorded.
    Jam out with your clam out.
  • muppetmuppet Posts: 980
    Astral Weeks

I love Wavelength though, mainly for that song "Wavelength." Pearl Jam need to cover that song.
  • londonwprlondonwpr Posts: 293
    It's hard to pick one album from so many outstanding ones. I really like Beautiful Vision though, so that is my pick for today!
    7/8/95, 6/26/98, 6/27/98, 8/17/98, 8/18/00, 8/20/00, 8/21/00, 10/8/00, 10/21/00, 6/16/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/22/03, 6/24/03, 10/3/04, 9/11/05, 9/12/05, 9/13/05, 9/15/05, 9/16/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/20/06, 6/24/06, 6/30/06
  • YefaYefa Posts: 1,133
    I'll join the chorus for Astral Weeks. It's one of my favorite albums of all time. I saw The Swell Season on Monday night and Glen Hansard did a terrific solo version of the title track. A full band version of Into The Mystic was the last song of the night as Glen said they were "in the mood" for another Van song.

Some of my other Van album favorites are Moondance, St. Dominic's Preview, and Into The Music.
    You see me empty, Sir, do not pause and inquire, simply assume and refill.
    - Al Swearengen

http://www.cantstoptheserenity.com
  • Astral Weeks. Women love it, too. ;)
  • wcsmithwcsmith Posts: 165
    I'll argue for Astral Weeks as well, though His Band And Street Choir is a terrific album...
    "I'll ride the wave where it takes me"
  • hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Posts: 4,895
    THEM the Story of Them a 2 disc set of amazing songs.

The group is called Them, Van is singer obviously

if old school rock/blues you like, this album you will love you will(in yoda voice)
  • brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    dark side of the moon
  • mrwalkerbmrwalkerb Posts: 1,015
    brain of c wrote:
    dark side of the moon

ZING
    "I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
    Chris Cornell

http://www.myspace.com/mrwalkerb
  • gusturtlegusturtle Posts: 442
    ASTRAL WEEKS.

I can't tell you how many spins this album has gotten in my player. I still play it quite often, and it gets me every time.
  • seagoat2seagoat2 Posts: 241
    Astral Weeks. Women love it, too. ;)

Agreed, & yes, I do! ;-)
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    By the way, to the original poster, in spite of the overwhelming support for Astral Weeks, don't think that you shouldn't get his others as well. Certainly his Astral weeks through to Veedon Fleece material. Moondance, St Dominic's Preview and Veedon Fleece are also unmissable.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • patrickredeyespatrickredeyes Posts: 8,834
    Astral Weeks :)