Opening acts for Tool?

The DarknessThe Darkness Posts: 41
edited August 2006 in Other Music
Hello everyone. I'm heading to the upcoming Tool concert in Calgary, August 24. I'm sure this has been posted around here before, so I apologize
in advance, but are there any opening acts for Tool on this tour? Or is it 'An Evening with Tool'? Either way, it's going to be a great show.
Thanks!
I've got to admit, it's getting better.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• dirtdirt Posts: 398
    Mighty winds of the western sky,
    Lift me up so I can fly...
    Oh Mighty Isis [repeated fading echo]

Isis. A 70's Saturday morning TV show...............and a really f$@king great rock band from the 2000's.
    drive less - RIDE MORE!
  • EnigmaEnigma Posts: 59
    I was quite shocked to see that Isis will be opening up for Tool. My good friend and I were at the Gorge a week ago at a PJ concert and contemplating how awesome such a pairing would be, but how unlikely it is.

I would classify Isis mainly as instrumental metal with an ambient/atmospheric flair. True, there is a vocalist, but he sings sparingly and rather hoarsely so you can't really make out what he's saying. In a live setting, their music is fantastic as they really do well in building tension/mystery.
  • Sounds really cool...I'm glad there is an opening act. Thanks!
    I've got to admit, it's getting better.
    Here is their official site....click on 'releases' and there are MP3s available for each album.

http://www.sgnl05.com/#
  • KricketKricket Posts: 707
    Enigma wrote:
    Here is their official site....click on 'releases' and there are MP3s available for each album.

http://www.sgnl05.com/#

Thanks but I can't get into their site!?! Damm computer is high security around here? hmmm I really want to check them out.
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    ISIS is one of my favorite bands and i'm glad Tool is taking them out w/ them. they deserve the exposure. i don't like Tool though.. ever since i started listening to ISIS i don't see the point in Tool.
  • EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    Isis is really awesome
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
    If you want to try some of their music, pick up a copy of Panopticon. Very good stuff. I believe Tool's bass player joins them for a song on this one. So these two bands make for a good pair on a tour.

Another band similar to Isis -- Pelican. Pretty good, but not as strong as Isis.
    drive less - RIDE MORE!
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    ISIS is one of my favorite bands and i'm glad Tool is taking them out w/ them. they deserve the exposure. i don't like Tool though.. ever since i started listening to ISIS i don't see the point in Tool.

Aside from Danny Carey, I would have to agree. Isis is crushing. Love that band.
    dirt wrote:
    If you want to try some of their music, pick up a copy of Panopticon. Very good stuff. I believe Tool's bass player joins them for a song on this one. So these two bands make for a good pair on a tour.

Another band similar to Isis -- Pelican. Pretty good, but not as strong as Isis.
    I have Oceanic and Panopticon. Gotta go with Panopticon...not as abrasive and more fulfilling as a whole although Oceanic does have some enjoyable individual songs.

Isis is heavy but they never reach the accelerated speed of Tool in their songs, which isn't a bad thing and will actually be a perfect segue for the main act.
    dirt wrote:

Pelican is AMAZING!! i saw them live... what? 3 years ago in Philly. so good. another band sort of like Pelican is the Boston 2 piece 5ive. bassist from ISIS plays w/ them from time to time.. well, probably not anymore since all of ISIS moved to LA.
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    If you like Isis and Pelican, check out Mare.
  • the unseenthe unseen Posts: 372
    i like how tool favours bands from mike pattons label,ipecac as openers the past tours.....

fantomas
    tomahawk
    the melvins
    and now isis
  • bharQbharQ Posts: 1,201

Isis hey? I'll have to look more into them
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
    enharmonic wrote:
    If you like Isis and Pelican, check out Mare.
    Mare is decent, a warning though they can get very brutal. i wish Mare had a full length
    So we have Isis, Pelican, Mare, and Mono...and a friend last night just sent me a song from a band named Jesu. It's called Wolves and it's good -- just not on par with any of the above. Maybe I need more listens.
    drive less - RIDE MORE!
  • bharQbharQ Posts: 1,201
    I checked out Isis.. dont care for the overkill growling of the early stuff.. but Panopticon i think its called was pretty cool.. really atmospheric and reminded me of newer tool sorta
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!