Best Reunion albums ever?

The DarknessThe Darkness Posts: 41
edited March 2007 in Other Music
What are some albums by bands that have broken up for at least 5 years then reunited to record at least one album that is a worthy addition to their catalogue, not just an excuse to tour?

Personally, I'm having a hard time thinking of any. I'd like to hear the new Stooges album, 'The Wierdness', but I have a feeling it would be gathering dust alongside my copy of 'Endless Wire' by the Who or 'Strays' by Janes Addiction.

About the most successful reunion album I can think of is 'The Rising' by Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band. Any other ideas?
I've got to admit, it's getting better.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    What are some albums by bands that have broken up for at least 5 years then reunited to record at least one album that is a worthy addition to their catalogue, not just an excuse to tour?

Personally, I'm having a hard time thinking of any. I'd like to hear the new Stooges album, 'The Wierdness', but I have a feeling it would be gathering dust alongside my copy of 'Endless Wire' by the Who or 'Strays' by Janes Addiction.

About the most successful reunion album I can think of is 'The Rising' by Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band. Any other ideas?

I like Endless Wire.

But nope, can't think of any others.
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
  • stateoflove79stateoflove79 Posts: 2,845
    Smashing Pumpkins - Zeitgeist! :)

I know, noone's heard it yet...just a good feeling I am getting about it.
    Is it so wrong to think that love can keep us safe?
  • hendrix78hendrix78 Posts: 507
    I actually really liked the Plant/Page reunion album Walking Into Clarksdale. Of course it's not quite as good as peak Zeppelin, but there are some great tunes on there. If you're a fan of Physical Graffiti, I think you'd dig it. It has a lot of eastern influence in it.

I also have high hopes for the new Dinosaur Jr album coming out this year.
  • Television-Television
  • I like 'Endless Wire' too, but do you really think that it is going to become an essential part of the Who catalogue like 'Who's Next', 'Quadrophenia' or even 'Who Are You?'.

It seems to me that the anticipation of these legendary bands reuniting to cut another album is almost always more exciting than the actual album that gets delivered. And Axl Rose knows this:-)
  • yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    I like 'Endless Wire' too, but do you really think that it is going to become an essential part of the Who catalogue like 'Who's Next', 'Quadrophenia' or even 'Who Are You?'.

It seems to me that the anticipation of these legendary bands reuniting to cut another album is almost always more exciting than the actual album that gets delivered. And Axl Rose knows this:-)

Yea. I totally agree.
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Dinosaur Jr - Beyond

I have not heard it but god everyone who has says it is nasty!

i can't wait to hear this one!
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    Journey-Trial By Fire

i'm just kidding!
  • I don't know if this is quite in the same category, but didn't Neil Young and Crazy Horse 'break up' some time in the early to mid 1980's? I do know that Ragged Glory was their first album together in quite some time, and it totally lived up to expectations and even resulted in a resurgance in Neil Youngs career.
  • Lost_ClayLost_Clay Posts: 1,085
    iron maiden - brave new world
    "ah fuck it get in trouble"

06/29/03 09/22/05 09/24/05 09/25/05 05/09/06 05/10/06
  • ii44ii44 Posts: 430
    I like 'Endless Wire' too, but do you really think that it is going to become an essential part of the Who catalogue like 'Who's Next', 'Quadrophenia' or even 'Who Are You?'.

No, but it's easily their best record since Quadrophenia.
  • I liked "strays" That's all I can think of.
    NERDS!
  • merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    I don't know if this is quite in the same category, but didn't Neil Young and Crazy Horse 'break up' some time in the early to mid 1980's? I do know that Ragged Glory was their first album together in quite some time, and it totally lived up to expectations and even resulted in a resurgance in Neil Youngs career.

Ragged Glory came out in '89. Life was released in '87. Actually the longest Neil & Crazy Horse went without a album (being credited to Crazy Horse) was between Everybody Knows this is Nowhere in '69 and Rust Never Sleeps/Live Rust being released in '79 (due most in part to the death of Danny Whitten).
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball