MOST "FANS" PAID NOTHING for Radiohead album

IndifferenceIndifference Posts: 2,679
edited November 2007 in Other Music

SHOW COUNT: (157) 1990's=3, 2000's=53, 2010/20's=97, US=116, CAN=15, Europe=20 ,New Zealand=2, Australia=2
Mexico=1, Colombia=1 

Upcoming:   Ohana x2  Aucklandx2, Gold Coast, Melbournex2

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• pjtaperpjtaper Posts: 3,020
    I paid nothing... why? Because the last 2 Radiohead albums before this one were HORRIBLE, and I bought them both... I'm not a fan of this new one either...
  • pjtaper wrote:
    I paid nothing... why? Because the last 2 Radiohead albums before this one were HORRIBLE, and I bought them both... I'm not a fan of this new one either...

Hrm. Can't say I agree with this. I loved Amnesiac and HTTT was pretty good. This one is better than both, though.
  • pjtaper wrote:

I totally agree.

I really gave the new one a go, and whilst it has its moments, it's nothing on their past records in my opinion. There was a time when Thom Yorke used to sing, but his voice seems to be reduced to a crying whine these days.

I understand why people like the later albums, but they don't really feature any of the aspects that drew me to Radiohead in the first place. That 3 pronged guitar attack used to sound incredible on songs like The Bends, My Iron Lung and Just. To me they are just a pretentious bunch of musos these days. Nothing about the new stuff excites me at all.

I still totally respect what they did with the new album though. I would be interested to know how much money they have made in total .
  • mulva9mulva9 Posts: 417
    I don't really place too much validity on this "research."
  • itsevobabyitsevobaby Posts: 1,809
    it has moments of greatness, but the greatness is pretty subtle these days
    Look Alive,
    See These Bones
  • I really like the new album, but that's not the point.

You know what they say: ask a silly question, get a silly answer. Or maybe that should be charge nothing for your cd, don't be surprised if you get zilch back.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    pjtaper wrote:

why did you buy the new one at all than. I dont blame the fans paying next to nothing for it. People aren't made of money and if there is a cheap deal out there they will take it for as little as possible.
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • 1.2 million downloaded the album, 38 percent paid, average payment of 6 bucks, 100% royalties.

they made 2.74 million for leaking their album....poor fellas

CD album to come... all royalties minus distribution label royalties
    80 dollar vinyl to come... all royalties minus distribution

tour to come

merchandise sales to come

copyright/publishing royalties

I hope they'll be able to survive
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    mulva9 wrote:
    I don't really place too much validity on this "research."

I don't either they polled a few hundred people? I do'nt know if the sample size is large enough to produce a valid result.

I could see it being a lot lower or a lot higher i'm not sure.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • drew0drew0 Posts: 943
    (1) As it was pointed above, they still got over 2.5 million for leaking the album. Millions more will come with the box set, and even more millions with the upcoming tour and merchandise sales. And they haven't already made millions of their soldout shows of arenas across the country and chart topping albums, so I hope they'll still be able to feed themselves.

(2) I have bought every one of their albums (except Amnesiac), for full price. I don't really feel bad about receiving their latest album for free. As it was said before, it had it's moment of greatness but was on par with the last two albums. Certainly no OK Computer or the Bends (but...what is, really).

(3) If they didn't want people to buy it for free, they wouldn't have done that.

(4) I would reason that a large percentage of their fanbase is college students to young adults (20-30). Do you really expect broke college students to pay for something that they could get for free?
    Pittsburgh 6/23/06
    Madison Square Garden 6/25/08
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    1.2 million downloaded the album, 38 percent paid, average payment of 6 bucks, 100% royalties.

they made 2.74 million for leaking their album....poor fellas

CD album to come... all royalties minus distribution label royalties
    80 dollar vinyl to come... all royalties minus distribution

tour to come

merchandise sales to come

copyright/publishing royalties

I hope they'll be able to survive

it cost money to record an album...and publishing royalties, though the band get some back, are paid out of the album sales.
  • but why did they do this? Is it well documented? Does anyone know?
  • pjtaper wrote:

Get real. Radiohead's last 2 albums were brilliant and so is this one. I've already listened to this new one about 30 times which is 28 more times than I listened to "Avocado".
  • pjtaperpjtaper Posts: 3,020
    JWBusher wrote:
    Get real. Radiohead's last 2 albums were brilliant and so is this one. I've already listened to this new one about 30 times which is 28 more times than I listened to "Avocado".
    Well, I'm pretty sure you are on the wrong message board...
  • JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    it cost money to record an album...and publishing royalties, though the band get some back, are paid out of the album sales.

Studio time and a producer like Nigel Goodrich are costly, however they prob. have their own studio at this point and would only be paying the producer.
    Does anyone know if Goodrich produced this one for sure, or did they do it themselves?
    "Give me the ringer dude,chop,chop!"
  • probably would have made more if they just set a price.
  • Just out of curiosity, why is "fans" in quotation marks in the title?
  • You make it sound like a bad thing that people didn't buy it. Radiohead put it on the internet for people to choose how they wanted to get the album. If they cared about how much they make, they would have set a price.
  • Just out of curiosity, why is "fans" in quotation marks in the title?

are you being sarcastic? it's because they must not be fans if they are not giving the band money for their music....actually the quotes are sarcasim

anyway, i like this album alot, but Radiohead has entered Pearl Jam realm for me...i'll pretty much like anything they put out. i'm biased.

that study is b.s...over a million downloaded it, but only 200 polled...ummmmmm that's not exactly how it works.
    Those undecided,........ Needn't have faith to be free
    And those misguided, There was a plan for them to be
    Now you got both sides Claiming killing in Gods name
    But God is nowhere,..... To be found, conveniently

What goes on?
  • I have not downloaded In Rainbows yet, but if I do I can tell you that knowing a proper cd release is in the near future will affect how much I pay...probably would not pay nothing, but I wouldn't pay a normal album price when that is not what is being offered...I'm not bothered by it, Radiohead will get my money when the album with artwork is out in stores, not to mention when they finally go out and tour again
    looking for 2 to Columbia...

***GOT EM***
  • GardenpartyGardenparty Posts: 1,910
    My band has sold about 300 cd's since we released it. It has been downloaded via filesharing sites (for free/illegaly) over 1200 times.

Radioheads check book is the least of my worries. The industry is all just a mess from the top to the bottom

I paid $0 and I will pay full price when an actual cd is released, most people however, i am sure will not.
    “I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version.”
  • If I can get something free legally, you bet your ass I'm going to take it.
  • TheGossmanTheGossman Posts: 1,120
    who cares if no one is paying, artists don't make shit off album sales anyway, and I don't think the album is that great to be honest with you, and I'm a HUGE radiohead fan, the HTTT album was the best they've put out since OK Computer in my opinion, I think I read somewere that the album has already been downloaded a couple million times, do you think that if they released it in stores only it would have sold 2 million already? Hell no it wouldn't, there music is getting out their to more people than it would if released instores only, thats all that matters!
    9/4/98, 8/4/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/15/03, 4/16/03, 4/19/03, 4/25/03, 4/26/03, 4/28/03, 4/29/03, 4/30/03, 7/8/03, 7/9/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/6/04, 9/1/05, 9/2/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 8/5/07, 6/11/08, 6/12/08, 6/14/08, 6/16/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08
  • stu geestu gee Posts: 1,174
    So what if they paid nothing?! If someone gives me the option of paying ten pounds or nothing for something, in my opinion im going to have to be an idiot for paying 10 pounds, and its not like Radiohead need the money anyway. If it was an upcoming band who needed it id pay, although i doubt they'd give it away for free anyway.
    People say im paranoid. Well, they dont say it, but i know that's what they are thinking.
  • OutOfBreathOutOfBreath Posts: 1,804
    That this was based only on a few houndred asked is pretty undercommunicated in that story.

Anyway, the story is not that 62% did not pay, but that 38% actually did! They gave it away, and still 38% of the few houndred polled paid, and on average 6$.

Peace
    Dan
    "YOU [humans] NEED TO BELIEVE IN THINGS THAT AREN'T TRUE. HOW ELSE CAN THEY BECOME?" - Death

"Every judgment teeters on the brink of error. To claim absolute knowledge is to become monstrous. Knowledge is an unending adventure at the edge of uncertainty." - Frank Herbert, Dune, 1965
  • Damn them - they're business plan worked. I've not knowingly listened to anything since OK Computer, and I'm downloading their new stuff now. If I like it, I might give them money in some way in the future!!!

Incidentally I paid $5 for Saul Williams new album, more to support the business model/Reznor than anything else.

Incidentally to the incidentally, Radiohead didn’t spend much time on web design, it’s a pretty laborious process of getting the album, considering it’s free.

[Edit]In fact, I went through the whole thing and got told that my code had already been used. I give up. If I decide I want it, I’ll download it from the tried and tested illegal means, as they are far more usable.[/edit]
  • "In response to purely speculative figures announced in the press regarding the number of downloads and the price paid for the album, the group's representatives would like to remind people that, as the album could only be downloaded from the band's website, it is impossible for outside organisations to have accurate figures on sales," they explained."

Got this here: http://www.nme.com/news/radiohead/32393

Now they can stop publishing all of these lies.
    "Information is not knowledge.
    Knowledge is not wisdom.
    Wisdom is not truth.
    Truth is not beauty.
    Beauty is not love.
    Love is not music.
    Music is the best."
    ~ FZ ~
  • PJPOWERPJPOWER Posts: 6,499
    I'm pretty sure that I need the money more than Radiohead does. I probably would not have got the album, seeing as how I've never been a huge fan (not that I dislike them). I paid nothing and downloaded it out of curiosity...I will support them if they decide to play a concert somewhere close.
  • PJPOWER wrote:
    I'm pretty sure that I need the money more than Radiohead does. I probably would not have got the album, seeing as how I've never been a huge fan (not that I dislike them). I paid nothing and downloaded it out of curiosity...I will support them if they decide to play a concert somewhere close.

I'm pretty sure we all need whatever money we have more than any of these artists do. Since I really love this band, and I really wanted the whole package, I treated myself to it (as my family's only Christmas present to me ... since apparently I even have to shop for myself ... but that's a rant for another day.) I'm sure the band doesn't really mind that people downloaded it for free out of curiousity. They've made their money, and will make more when they tour, so it's all good.
    "Information is not knowledge.
    Knowledge is not wisdom.
    Wisdom is not truth.
    Truth is not beauty.
    Beauty is not love.
    Love is not music.
    Music is the best."
    ~ FZ ~
  • PJPOWERPJPOWER Posts: 6,499
    I'm pretty sure we all need whatever money we have more than any of these artists do. Since I really love this band, and I really wanted the whole package, I treated myself to it (as my family's only Christmas present to me ... since apparently I even have to shop for myself ... but that's a rant for another day.) I'm sure the band doesn't really mind that people downloaded it for free out of curiousity. They've made their money, and will make more when they tour, so it's all good.
    Exactly, I think it's a great marketting scheme. They're getting their name out there to people that might not have been a fan or even know who they are. I really don't think they hurt themselves in any way by giving away their music.