Options

Making a new Jammer

WildChildRoseWildChildRose Posts: 568
edited February 2008 in The Porch
I have a 3 year old step-son and I of course want to make sure he knows good music! I've been doing some "Jammer" training a few times a week now. ;-) We have a few hours when my fiance isn't home (if he is, hes just not into watching Pearl Jam for hours like I can) so I've been popping in live shows. He knows that they are Pearl Jam and he knows Eddie's name. It's funny though he was mimicking some of their moves, the jumping and stuff.... the one that really cracked me up was when Eddie jerks his head while singing, if you know what I mean. Skyler started doing that too. It was a trip! I don't think he knows any songs yet though... we're just getting started.
Anyone else going through some Pearl Jam training with their little ones? How did you guys introduce your favorite band? Do they also like Pearl Jam?
I kind of want to get him a little guitar now so he can play and jump around while watching... hmmm...
"I'll ride the wave where it takes me.."
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    My son is 3 too.. He LOVES Pearl Jam... I started playing PJ for him when he was still in her belly. He loves it when I put on Into The Wild. he digs that whole cd.

Start em young i say... that shapes their whole world from that point on..

(get guitar hero) lol
    http://www.myspace.com/cravingstrangemusic <- my band
    MSG - NYC - 9-10-1998
    MSG - NYC - 9-11-1998 (BEST FKING SHOW!)
    Jones Beach - 8-25-2000
    Nassau Coliseum - 4-30-2003
    Irving Plaza - 5-5-06 (another great show)
    New Jersey - 6-1-06
    MSG - NYC - 6.24.08
  • Options
    guertin32 wrote:
    My son is 3 too.. He LOVES Pearl Jam... I started playing PJ for him when he was still in her belly. He loves it when I put on Into The Wild. he digs that whole cd.

Start em young i say... that shapes their whole world from that point on..

(get guitar hero) lol

We have guitar hero actually. It's a bit too advanced for him just yet. :)
    That's cool your son like the new solo CD. Skyler went nuts when I put on the MSG video and he heard Arc. I really want to take him to a show. Has anyone done this with a fairly small child? Do you have to get them a ticket too?
  • Options
    My nephew recently turned three and anytime PJ would come on the radio he would say "this is Ed". It was awesome! And just yesterday my sister told me that he was flipping out in the car "because Ed wasn't on". So she put 'Into the Wild' on and he was fine. Definitely gotta teach them when they're young.
  • Options
    ECMECM Posts: 1,687
    Make sure and show him that Entertainment Weekly article you had a photo shoot for in Philly 05..... and also, black out the instances where the writer used the word "Jamily" ;)
    wishlistfoundation.org
  • Options
    bernmodibernmodi Posts: 631
    My daughter was about 2 when I got the Touring Band 2000 DVD. She loved it, wanted to watch it all the time. It was the first time she saw people actually make music. Oh, and Eddie was the first name she could say, long before she could say mine or her father's! She still loves the band, her favourite song from the last album is big wave.
  • Options
    TheGossmanTheGossman Posts: 1,120
    I have a 3 year old step-son and I of course want to make sure he knows good music! I've been doing some "Jammer" training a few times a week now. ;-) We have a few hours when my fiance isn't home (if he is, hes just not into watching Pearl Jam for hours like I can) so I've been popping in live shows. He knows that they are Pearl Jam and he knows Eddie's name. It's funny though he was mimicking some of their moves, the jumping and stuff.... the one that really cracked me up was when Eddie jerks his head while singing, if you know what I mean. Skyler started doing that too. It was a trip! I don't think he knows any songs yet though... we're just getting started.
    Anyone else going through some Pearl Jam training with their little ones? How did you guys introduce your favorite band? Do they also like Pearl Jam?
    I kind of want to get him a little guitar now so he can play and jump around while watching... hmmm...

I have a nephew that is about 6 months old, and I play PJ on the acoustic guitar for him all the time, and he always smiles, yells, and drools, so I think he was meant to be a fan!
    9/4/98, 8/4/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/15/03, 4/16/03, 4/19/03, 4/25/03, 4/26/03, 4/28/03, 4/29/03, 4/30/03, 7/8/03, 7/9/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/6/04, 9/1/05, 9/2/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 8/5/07, 6/11/08, 6/12/08, 6/14/08, 6/16/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08
  • Options

Your're on the right track. A few things needed to be started very early. You need to make sure you teach him the following

A) Shrine building. Never too early to learn how to construct a proper shrine to your favorite idols.
    B) The art of Flipping. You really need to start him early on how much money can be made by buying up PJ memorabelia and selling it for hansom profits. You can then use this money to improve your shrine.
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    i thought i was going to be called on to explain the birds and bees here.
  • Options
    My son is 15 months old and whenever he's in the car with me I make sure that he gets his dose of PJ, and of course I make sure to announce to him that we are going to be "rocking some Pearl Jam" so that he can get that name recognition. If I put in a concert DVD, he'll stand in front of the TV and do that "bouncing" up and down dancing that little children do. He's well on his way!!!

As for my 15 year old daughter, who likes Warped Tour type bands, heavier ammunition is needed...so I'm taking her to Bonnaroo to see PJ in person, that should swing her our way :-)
    Manchester, TN - 2008
    Washington, D.C. - 2008
    Philadelphia, PA I - 2009
    Bristow, VA - 2010
    Baltimore, MD - 2013
    Milwaukee, WI - 2014
    Hampton, VA - 2016
  • Options
    You guys are cracking me up. EvilClosetMonkey-- LOL. But I didn't make the cut remember? :)
    I'm really curious about taking him to a show. Who has taken their kid to a Pearl Jam show under the age of 5? Is it cool? I would definitely get him those headphone deals so he won't damage his ears...
  • Options
    Yeah my daughter is 3 as well. I started playing PJ for her very young as well. I bought her a ukelele and now she mimics the guys moves along with Immagine in Cornice dvd.

One day I came home from work and asked her if she wanted to watch "Dora" . She said "No daddy, I want to watch Pearl Jam." Best day of my life!
  • Options
    My son is 17 months. We started playing Pearl Jam to him with headphones on my belly when I was pregnant... usually softer songs like Black, Thumbing My Way etc. (Also played Alice Cooper I Never Cry a lot as my husband is a Cooper fanatic :P)

Now I put on Pearl Jam CD's and DVD's for him all the time and he dances all around the room. The kid loves to dance :P For the slow songs I pick him up and we dance together. He will definitely know who Pearl Jam and Eddie are :P
    "The bottom line is that when we all plug in, Eddie can make us dance and play like little molecules bouncing off the wall. And, for whatever reason, we can make him feel like singing."
    - Stone Gossard, Musician Magazine, 1995
  • Options
    And how could I forget? Baby Beluga has always been my little guys favorite song... so when I discovered that Eddie had performed it that was awesome. He loves listening to it and claps at the end with the audience :)
    "The bottom line is that when we all plug in, Eddie can make us dance and play like little molecules bouncing off the wall. And, for whatever reason, we can make him feel like singing."
    - Stone Gossard, Musician Magazine, 1995
  • Options
    I was also playing PJ to my daughter Venus while she was still in the womb, although I did not just play the soft stuff. She dances around the house EVERYTIME Betterman comes on. We shake our asses to PJ a lot. When we watched L@TG together for the first time, it went like this:
    Me: (laughing at the comment about Good Charlotte)
    Venus: Daddy, why would someone stick a popsicle in their butt? That's silly.
    Me: He just means that they "sound like shit".
    Venus: Can I hear some?

At this point we pause the DVD and find a Good Charlotte video on YouTube. She cant even listen to the whole first verse.

Venus: Turn it off, please.
    Me: You dont like it?
    Venus: No. They should stick with popsicles.

Awesome!

BT, she'll be 7 when Lolla rolls around this year. I think she will have fun with me!
    Chicago 8-23-09

• Options
    FahkaFahka Posts: 3,187
    I must admit...

When i first read the thread title... i thought it was about like literally "making jammers" lol ...
  • Options
    Funny, my 3 yr. old nephew loves Eddie! Whenever he is crying and won't stop, my sister puts on Into the Wild soundtrack or Touring Band and he stops immediately!