Counting Crows broke up?

DanimalDanimal Posts: 2,000
edited April 2007 in Other Music
Did they just break up or was that a joke on their website? It WAS posted on 4/1.

I'm sorry to announce that in the middle of recording tonight, we had a huge fight and a bunch of people said a bunch of things they should never have said. I guess sometimes you just hold things in for so long that they just have to come out. Unfortunately it happened in front of some of the guy's wives and girlfriends and when they got involved as well, the whole thing just escalated. It was horrible.

The end result was that Dave and Dan have left the band. I guess Immy and Charlie and I will try and finish the record with Jim and Millard. I suppose it's possible if Immy just plays all the guitar parts himself. Either way, this is going to be the last Counting Crows record. It's too bad really. I was starting to feel like this might have been our best album, topping even "Recovering The Satellites".

I guess nothing lasts forever. To tell you the truth, I was getting really tired of the touring and all the nightmarish promotion and marketing and general record business bullshit. In a way, there's a lot about this that I won't miss at all. That's a stupid thing to say. There are parts I hated but I will miss most of this more than I will ever be able to express.

Anyway, I want to thank all of you for all the years of support and love. We will always appreciate everything all of you gave us over the past 15 years. Thank you so much and good bye. I think this will be my last diary entry. I just don't think I have the heart for it anymore.
"I don't believe in PJ fans but I believe there is something, not too sure what." - Thoughts_Arrive

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• sounds like an april fools joke.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • DanimalDanimal Posts: 2,000
    I hope its a joke too. I love those guys.
    "I don't believe in PJ fans but I believe there is something, not too sure what." - Thoughts_Arrive

• corycory Posts: 736
    Any band that does April Fool's jokes....unless, of course, your band is rehearsing for the 4th grade talent show and you're fucking 9 years old, is weak.
    Revive the heart of the heartless...

Why would you start was has no end?
  • nah, thats just adam playing around... check his blog on their site, all is well in the counting crows camp, they're working on the second half of their new album, I believe it's going to be called Saturday evenings/Sunday mornings, or something to that effect

can't wait
    looking for 2 to Columbia...

***GOT EM***
  • cc10106cc10106 Posts: 385
    While I obviously want their new record to be their best or atleast comparable to the first 3, they need to HURRY THE HELL UP. It will have been over 5 years between new studio releases. Oh yeah, and follow it up with a theater tour where they play atleast 2 hours and not share the bill with the likes of john mayer and goo goo dolls. That said, I'm goin to jazzfest next month and can't wait to see them again.

BTW, Adam's releasing the Himalayans comprehensive cd through his label's website, newly remastered and packaged.
    cory wrote:
    Any band that does April Fool's jokes....unless, of course, you're band is rehearsing for the 4th grade talent show and you're fucking 9 years old, is weak.

So a band that doesn't do April fool's jokes is strong?
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    If they did break up, would that many people really be bothered?
  • PJammin'PJammin' Posts: 1,901
    i like their studio albums, but i'm not a fan of them live.
    I died. I died and you just stood there. I died and you watched. I died and you walked by and said no. I'm dead.
    aren't they like the worst band ever? i mean, why does anyone bring them up here on the boards anyway? geez, let's talk about arcade fire some more.
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    Although they are a bit crappy, I think it would have been slightly bigger news on the radio and such if it was true.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
    i guess i could do many people a favor and start a 'counting crows suck and should break up' thread.
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    cc10106 wrote:
    aren't they like the worst band ever? i mean, why does anyone bring them up here on the boards anyway? geez, let's talk about arcade fire some more.

come to think of it, the Arcade Fire rose to fame as quickly as the Crowes...and they use some folksy instruments, just like the CC's.

Lets meet here in 10 years, so we can see the kids bagging on the AF!

:)
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    come to think of it, the Arcade Fire rose to fame as quickly as the Crowes...and they use some folksy instruments, just like the CC's.

Lets meet here in 10 years, so we can see the kids bagging on the AF!

:)

excellent point there, and interesting because i was thinking about the same thing while listening to neon bible. i was just generally focusing on the instrumentation, and others like rem and springsteen came to mind, which made me automatically think of the crows.

you can't go wrong with an accordion!
  • I honestly cannot see why anyone would bag on Counting Crows, at all; they're one of the few talented bands still in existence. Anyone who hates them for flirting with country/folk and then sings the praises of Arcade Fire in the same breath is a hypocrite and needs to listen harder.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison