New Ben Harper

DanimalDanimal Posts: 2,000
edited July 2007 in Other Music
Can't wait!
"I don't believe in PJ fans but I believe there is something, not too sure what." - Thoughts_Arrive

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    What where when?! His last album was awesome.
  • http://www.amazon.com/Lifeline-Ben-Harper/dp/B000RMQH30?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1184614966&sr=8-1

here's an mp3 of "Into the Color" as well thanks to Heather Browne:
    http://fuelfriends.blogspot.com/
    Scroll down to Monday July 16 and you cant miss it
    2005: Borgata 2, Philly
    2006: Camden 1&2, East Ruth 1&2
    2008: BONNAROO, MSG1, MSG2, Hartford
    2009: Philly 1, 2, 4
    2010: Hartford, MSG1, MSG2
    2012: Made in America
    2013: BK1, BK2, Hartford
    2015: Global Citizens
    2016: MSG 2 (ISO MSG1)
    EV Solo: NJPAC 2008; Tower Theatre, PA 2009; Hartford 2011
  • Can't wait to have this comes out... last album was awesome! So excited to see him again at Lolla. Hope Ed comes out to play a tune with Mr. Harper.
    Don't gimme no lip
    http://www.amazon.com/Lifeline-Ben-Harper/dp/B000RMQH30?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1184614966&sr=8-1

here's an mp3 of "Into the Color" as well thanks to Heather Browne:
    http://fuelfriends.blogspot.com/
    Scroll down to Monday July 16 and you cant miss it

Wow, thanks for the links!

Love Into the Color too - typically brilliant.
  • rhinomagicrhinomagic Posts: 2,549
    What does the new website launch mean re: Ben's letter?

They're going to be dressing up for shows and performing more acoustic sets. But does that mean a less-entertaining show? I'm all for Ben's subtler side, but why is it necessary to make an announcement that we're 'changing the way we perform'?

Just do it and blow all our minds, per usual.

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    Philadelphia & Baltimore 2024
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    ive fallen away from ben the last few years. he just hasnt seemed very exciting to me anymore. all his acoustic songs sound exactly the same anymore, so right away i dont care for half his album. then there's a handful of jesus songs, a half baked experiment or two, and 3-4 really great rock and roll songs.
  • Dick JonesDick Jones Posts: 777
    Leaked.

Just don't know where.
    Are you too good to tango with the poor poor boys?
  • this is really, really good
    Cheat the odds that made you
    Brave to try to gamble at times
  • ntt117ntt117 Posts: 56
    So far i'm liking it. Not real uptempo for the most part, but still good. I think it will grow on me after a few more listens.
    "If we werent all crazy we would go insane."
  • shell bellshell bell Posts: 337
    I love "in the color". I'm looking forwar to this cd.
    when you get confused just listen to the music play........

"You damn well can't lick the system,but you can sure give it a good fondeling."-sleazy estate man(Hugh Laurie on A bit of Fry and Laurie)

"Judas Priest on a two stroke moped!"(Stephen Fry)
  • mulva9mulva9 Posts: 417
    I'll need to give it a few more listens. But I really miss the rockin' Ben Harper. Give me The Will To Live anyday.
  • Dick JonesDick Jones Posts: 777
    It's ok. I was listening to it straight through, got a little bored towards the middle, and decided I needed to listen to Pet Sounds instead.

Fool For A Lonesome Train really stuck out though.
    Are you too good to tango with the poor poor boys?
    mulva9 wrote:
    I'll need to give it a few more listens. But I really miss the rockin' Ben Harper. Give me The Will To Live anyday.

you said it man. he hasn't written anything to compare to songs like faded and glory & consequence in a long while.
  • Can't wait to have this comes out... last album was awesome! So excited to see him again at Lolla. Hope Ed comes out to play a tune with Mr. Harper.

I thought it was confirmed there would be at least one duet
    2005: Borgata 2, Philly
    2006: Camden 1&2, East Ruth 1&2
    2008: BONNAROO, MSG1, MSG2, Hartford
    2009: Philly 1, 2, 4
    2010: Hartford, MSG1, MSG2
    2012: Made in America
    2013: BK1, BK2, Hartford
    2015: Global Citizens
    2016: MSG 2 (ISO MSG1)
    EV Solo: NJPAC 2008; Tower Theatre, PA 2009; Hartford 2011
    you said it man. he hasn't written anything to compare to songs like faded and glory & consequence in a long while.

Yea really. I was just listening to disc 1 of Live From Mars this morning and realized how much I miss that style. I dig his latest albums just fine, but I was pretty hardcore into him back when he was touring for the will to live and burn to shine.

The downfall all coincided when he started standing up during shows.
  • circles downcircles down Posts: 182
    I saw him a year and a half ago at the El rey in LA before he toured for Both sides of the Gun. He and the band still light a fire, it was as much of an amaazing, mind-blosing show I have ever seen (and I was PJs Gorge 05 show).

And his Jesus songs are great. It's good to hear a non-traditional American Christian ive his thoughts on God/Jesus without the religion influence.
    can anyone point me in the direction of the leaked album? I will of course be buying it when it's released, I just wanna hear it now! I've looked on all the obvious torrent sites, and the only place I can find it is demonoid, but you have to be a member to download from there...
    I saw him a year and a half ago at the El rey in LA before he toured for Both sides of the Gun. He and the band still light a fire, it was as much of an amaazing, mind-blosing show I have ever seen (and I was PJs Gorge 05 show).

And his Jesus songs are great. It's good to hear a non-traditional American Christian ive his thoughts on God/Jesus without the religion influence.

the second you mention jesus, there's a religion influence dude. by definition. it's not like he's talking about the amorphous higher power of AA. jesus=christianity=religion. and it's probably even more annoying, becos im happily rocking out when suddenly a got a fucking preachy testimonial dropped into the middle of my headbanging.

i didnt know he'd started standing up during shows. i dont know what to make of that. im still looking forward to the set at lolla, though not nearly as much as the next 2 headliners (muse and pearl jam).
  • DanimalDanimal Posts: 2,000
    the second you mention jesus, there's a religion influence dude. by definition. it's not like he's talking about the amorphous higher power of AA. jesus=christianity=religion. and it's probably even more annoying, becos im happily rocking out when suddenly a got a fucking preachy testimonial dropped into the middle of my headbanging.

i didnt know he'd started standing up during shows. i dont know what to make of that. im still looking forward to the set at lolla, though not nearly as much as the next 2 headliners (muse and pearl jam).

You headbang at Ben Harper shows?
    "I don't believe in PJ fans but I believe there is something, not too sure what." - Thoughts_Arrive

He started standing during the Diamonds on the Inside tour. Thats fine with me, but it just seems he stopped wailing on the lap steel guitar as much around the same time.
  • DanimalDanimal Posts: 2,000
    mulva9 wrote:
    He started standing during the Diamonds on the Inside tour. Thats fine with me, but it just seems he stopped wailing on the lap steel guitar as much around the same time.

Man! That steel guitar is GREAT!!!

• frusciante89frusciante89 Posts: 125
    mulva9 wrote:
    Dude, saw him in tulsa in june and he rocked the shit out of his slide then, and Ben is really expanding his range of styles and i dig that.
  • rhinomagicrhinomagic Posts: 2,549
    mulva9 wrote:

Does Ben Harper actually play lap steel guitar in concert?

I've seen him five times now and can't recall seeing one. When sitting down, he plays either the Weissenborn acoustic or a standard six string across his lap w/ a slide on his left hand (I think that's called 'lap slide'). At least, that's in the shows I've seen.

Maybe he does play a resonator/lap steel, but I can't recall seeing one.

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020