Sigur Ros

||Release_Me||||Release_Me|| Posts: 1,871
edited November 2007 in Other Music
Are they any good? I just read a review of their new live DVD in Total Film magazine and its apparently amazing. What kind of music do they do?
"This town deserves a better class of criminal... and I'm gonna give it to them."

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• They are fantastic.

Difficult to describe but you won't regret buying an album. I would suggest Takk first (it's their most accessible) but my favourite is ( ). Yes that's what it's called.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • itsevobabyitsevobaby Posts: 1,809
    i tried describing them to a friend of mine & all i got back was a blank stare...

beautifully atmospheric, landscapey mood music. made rich with strings, organs & guitars played with cello bows. deep, calm moments lead to giant climaxes where the guitars & drums suddenly explode to fill the room. then there's the vocals... acting like an instrument unto themselves, lush, expressive, dreamy... what do they sing about? fuck knows as they made up their own language (yes, you read correct), but it just adds to the mystery. they really are breathtaking when you're in the right mood.

really looking forward to their film :)
    Look Alive,
    See These Bones
  • AngusAngus Posts: 376
    Probably the best live band ever.

Don't ask or read, just listen. You'll see if you like it.
    00: 7/2 (cancelled...)
    05: 9/11,9/12,9/13,9/15,9/16,9/19
    06: 8/23,8/30, 9/9, 9/11
    07: 6/26, 6/29
  • mole1985mole1985 Posts: 1,119
    100% try before you buy. They are Ok but they are defo not for everyone, do a bit of downloading or something first and then decide wether to buy or not.
    Dublin 2006
    Katowice 2007
    London 2007
    They are fantastic.

Difficult to describe but you won't regret buying an album. I would suggest Takk first (it's their most accessible) and my second favourite is ( ). Yes that's what it's called.
    those two are both great, takk is a bit heavier in places than (). but my pick would be agaetis byjrun, just beautiful
    Look Alive,
    See These Bones
  • itsevobaby wrote:
    those two are both great, takk is a bit heavier in places than (). but my pick would be agaetis byjrun, just beautiful

You might be right, I haven't given agaetis byjrun much of a chance yet. () was the first one I heard, so it's sentimental.

I'm just listening to their new album on their MYSPACE. It's beautiful.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

• stu geestu gee Posts: 1,174
    Are they any good? I just read a review of their new live DVD in Total Film magazine and its apparently amazing. What kind of music do they do?

Ive heard people who like all sorts of rock/alternative music say they are the best live band they have ever seen. I love them, got Takk and () that are both great albums. Difficult to describe but can range from quite rocky to orchestra, instrumental type music. Might have heard this song - http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=PDxMQaMqsig
    People say im paranoid. Well, they dont say it, but i know that's what they are thinking.
  • AngusAngus Posts: 376
    stu gee wrote:
    Ive heard people who like all sorts of rock/alternative music say they are the best live band they have ever seen.

*puts hand in the air*
    stu gee wrote:
    I love them, got Takk and () that are both great albums.

You really NEED to listen to Agaetis Byrjun if you haven't heard that one.
    00: 7/2 (cancelled...)
    05: 9/11,9/12,9/13,9/15,9/16,9/19
    06: 8/23,8/30, 9/9, 9/11
    07: 6/26, 6/29
  • wow thanks for the input everyone. I just downloaded (.) but i can't find any other albums online :(
    "This town deserves a better class of criminal... and I'm gonna give it to them."

• wow thanks for the input everyone. I just downloaded (.) but i can't find any other albums online :(

Now that OiNK is gone... :(
    Cock Fight.
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    You might be right, I haven't given agaetis byjrun much of a chance yet. () was the first one I heard, so it's sentimental.

Thanks for mentioning that it's up on their myspace. :)
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202

is this the one that comes out tuesday? i thought that was a live album?
  • The new album (coming out Tuesday) is a double disc album entitled "Hvarf-Heim"... the first half ("Hvarf") is 5 electric songs... I think, one reworked, and the other 4 are newish or old ones that got recorded finally. The second part of the album ("Heim") is a 6 song acoustic album of songs they already had on disc... it totals (between both discs) about an hour and 20 minutes. The CDs are fucking amazing... "Hljómalind" is already a favorite song... and the others are just beautifully amazing.

If you really want a long song to zone out to, listen to untitled track 8 on ()... it's the last song, and it's actually called "popplagið"... this probably is my favorite Siggy Rós song... just the build, the emotion in his voice, the drumming/crazy guitarring/his singing at the end, wow.

I'll have to admit though... Von is their only bad CD... the first couple songs sound like they recorded buzzing from a refrigerator, and then there's like one song with instruments, then that ambient sound again... it really isn't good... but Agaetis Byrjun, (), Takk..., and now Hvarf-Heim are all amazing.
    If I could, think I would give in.
    is this the one that comes out tuesday? i thought that was a live album?
    double cd of acoustic & rarities, i think the film is based around live settings
    Look Alive,
    See These Bones
  • ClaudiaClaudia Posts: 398
    my pick would be agaetis byjrun first! amazing album
    The new album (coming out Tuesday) is a double disc album entitled "Hvarf-Heim"... the first half ("Hvarf") is 5 electric songs... I think, one reworked, and the other 4 are newish or old ones that got recorded finally. The second part of the album ("Heim") is a 6 song acoustic album of songs they already had on disc... it totals (between both discs) about an hour and 20 minutes. The CDs are fucking amazing... "Hljómalind" is already a favorite song... and the others are just beautifully amazing.

If you really want a long song to zone out to, listen to untitled track 8 on ()... it's the last song, and it's actually called "popplagið"... this probably is my favorite Siggy Rós song... just the build, the emotion in his voice, the drumming/crazy guitarring/his singing at the end, wow.

I'll have to admit though... Von is their only bad CD... the first couple songs sound like they recorded buzzing from a refrigerator, and then there's like one song with instruments, then that ambient sound again... it really isn't good... but Agaetis Byrjun, (), Takk..., and now Hvarf-Heim are all amazing.

gotcha... i was so confused about that. what's the deal with the dvd? is it just live footage? they're always so damn mysterious i can't figure out what the hell is going on with them ;)
  • The DVD contains two things... the first thing is an actual video documentary of footage that they took while traveling all over in Iceland with their free shows they had. Their music plays to the scenes they have created... it's supposed to be completely amazing, which I honestly would never doubt with this band. The second part of the DVD contains actual live songs... this is what'll be on the DVD...

Documentary part:

1. Glósóli
    2. Sé lest
    3. Ágætis byrjun
    4. Heysátan
    5. Olsen Olsen
    6. Von
    7. Gítardjamm
    8. Vaka
    9. Á ferð til Breiðafjarðar 1922 (with Steindór Andersen)
    10. Starálfur
    11. Hoppípolla
    12. Popplagið
    13. Samskeyti

Live songs:

1. Glósóli
    2. Sé lest
    3. Heysátan
    4. Ágætis byrjun
    5. Gítardjamm
    6. Dauðalagið
    7. Vaka (Snæfell)
    8. Vaka (Álafoss)
    9. Starálfur
    10. Heima
    11. Rímur
    12. Popplagið
    13. Hoppípolla
    14. Olsen Olsen
    15. Samskeyti
    16. Von
  • is this the one that comes out tuesday? i thought that was a live album?

Yeah they're not 'new' songs, just new/live recordings.

• BlyssBlyss Posts: 166
    Angus wrote:
    Probably the best live band ever.

Don't ask or read, just listen. You'll see if you like it.

they sold out very quickly here and i never knew they were popular i missed out on seeing them:(
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    I like this new one Heim/Hvarf. I've been listening to it since last night. :)
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
    Yeah they're not 'new' songs, just new/live recordings.

hmmm.
  • To be completely precise... the reworked ones are "Hafsol" and "Von"... the other 3 are the finally recorded/never appeared on album ones.
  • JordyWordyJordyWordy Posts: 2,261
    saw them live when wasnt really familiar with them and HOLY FUCK! now i think the only words that descibe them are..

" if GOD made the perfect rock band"

but not in that rubbish christian rock sense
  • A myspace friend just sent me a video of theirs last night. I had never heard anything by them before, but I was curious. I want to find out everything I can about this band now.

If there is a heaven, I'm pretty sure this is what it's going to sound like.
  • laudenumlaudenum Posts: 405
    the are an amazing band. saw them at benaroya ......totally blows ya away.
    "shes stoned said the swede, and the
    mooncalf agreed" THe BANd
  • CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,225
    I just saw the movie at a screening this past Sunday. I think if you are a Sigur Ros fan.. you'll love it as I did. If you are not... you'll take a nap.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!