R.E.M. bootlegs?

||Release_Me||||Release_Me|| Posts: 1,871
edited April 2007 in Other Music
Hey there, just wondering if there are any good bootlegs circulating? Specifically from the 2005 Around The Sun tour.

thanks for any help
"This town deserves a better class of criminal... and I'm gonna give it to them."

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,236
    The terms "Around the Sun" and "good" should never be closer than 5000 words to each other.
    Except for in my above post.
    That said, I do have a boot from the Rock Am Ring festival on 6/3/05 that sounds pretty good. Check the live trading section of murmurs.com, I think that's where I got it.
  • ||Release_Me||||Release_Me|| Posts: 1,871
    AndySlash wrote:
    That said, I do have a boot from the Rock Am Ring festival on 6/3/05 that sounds pretty good. Check the live trading section of murmurs.com, I think that's where I got it.

Ahh, i have that show on DVD already. Great show too!

I take it you're not a fan of Around the Sun lol?
    "This town deserves a better class of criminal... and I'm gonna give it to them."

I didn't think it could get any worse than Reveal.

I was wrong.
    AndySlash wrote:

I was wrong.

Hmmmm, i actually love Around the Sun. It took a few listens but once it sunk in i loved it. Electron Blue, Boy in the Well and Aftermath are beautiful songs.

I like the first half of Reveal, then it kinda goes downhill.

It's proving difficult to find bootlegs.

Final Straw is great, and seeing that it came out well before the album, I had high hopes for it. But all in all it was just... bad. Worst Joke Ever might be their Worst Song Ever. Michaels vocals are horrendous on that one, and not very good on many of the songs. I like The Outsiders, too, but that's about it.
  • ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,761
    I quite enjoy Around The Sun. Leaving New York is one of their most beautiful songs hands down. The Outsiders, Aftermath, Boy In The Well, I Wanted To Be Wrong, Final Straw, Ascent Of Man, and Around The Sun are all great songs.

Much better than Reveal
    I quite enjoy Around The Sun. Leaving New York is one of their most beautiful songs hands down. The Outsiders, Aftermath, Boy In The Well, I Wanted To Be Wrong, Final Straw, Ascent Of Man, and Around The Sun are all great songs.

Much better than Reveal

I agree. The Lifting, I've Been High, She Just Wants to Be, Imitation of Life and I'll Take The Rain are classic REM songs. The rest just plain stink.

• AndySlash wrote:

I was wrong.

Good luck waiting for the guys to re-create "Automatic" or "New Adventures". They are too professional to mine old territory just for album sales or to win popularity contests. True fans wouldn't have it any other way. I totally applaud them for remaining diverse
  • whulmefwhulmef Posts: 176
    I read somewhere that R.E.M. is the 3rd most bootlegged band behind Bob Dylan and the Greatful Dead. There is this one website that has all their bootlegs documented; it is endless.
    http://orangefox.svs.com/rem/bootdiscog.html
  • AvocadoLadyAvocadoLady Posts: 680
    whulmef wrote:
    I read somewhere that R.E.M. is the 3rd most bootlegged band behind Bob Dylan and the Greatful Dead. There is this one website that has all their bootlegs documented; it is endless.
    http://orangefox.svs.com/rem/bootdiscog.html
    That is really interesting...I didn't realize. I don't have too many REM boots but maybe I will have to start collecting them now...
    "What happens when so many people agree on something? Can we take this beyond the parking lot when we leave tonight?" -EV, Iconoclasts
    I'd love to be able to get my hands on some bootlegs if there is indeed so many out there, but i can't find them!

• AvocadoLadyAvocadoLady Posts: 680
    I'd love to be able to get my hands on some bootlegs if there is indeed so many out there, but i can't find them!
    That's a good point, does anyone know if there are any b&p offers out there to get started? Would it be on the murmurs site?
    "What happens when so many people agree on something? Can we take this beyond the parking lot when we leave tonight?" -EV, Iconoclasts
    Good luck waiting for the guys to re-create "Automatic" or "New Adventures". They are too professional to mine old territory just for album sales or to win popularity contests. True fans wouldn't have it any other way. I totally applaud them for remaining diverse

Who said I wanted them to recreate anything?

I, too, don't mind that they try new things. Up is my second favorite album of theirs, proving to me that even as a 3-piece they can do great things. I just don't think the results post-Up have been very good, save for a few songs here and there.

Thanks for insinuating I am not a true fan though!
    Would it be on the murmurs site?

Yes, there is a trading board of sorts there. Most seem to be torrent announcements, but you can usually find someone willing to B&P stuff.
  • AndySlash wrote:
    Who said I wanted them to recreate anything?

I, too, don't mind that they try new things. Up is my second favorite album of theirs, proving to me that even as a 3-piece they can do great things. I just don't think the results post-Up have been very good, save for a few songs here and there.

Thanks for insinuating I am not a true fan though!

As a R.E.M. fan, I simply just don't take kindly to people ragging on "Reveal" & "ATS". It's nothing personal. Music is subjective. For every response to a band that is as globally recognized as R.E.M. there is a counter-response. I just won't let someone dismiss ATS as I think it is another brilliant R.E.M. album
    That's fine, but I don't take kindly to people suggesting I ain't a fan because I don't jizz all over their latest albums. Save for a couple tracks, ATS sucks. And it sucks even more than Reveal does, which also pretty much sucks. That's my subjective opinion. You're just going to have to let me dismiss ATS whether you like me to or not. Nothing personal, or something.
    bump

Still looking for bootlegs!