My Morning Jacket - Okonokos (Concert DVD)

||Release_Me||||Release_Me|| Posts: 1,871
edited July 2007 in Other Music
Has anyone seen it? I'm expecting it in the mail over the next few days, just wondering if people liked it? The tracklisting looks great!
"This town deserves a better class of criminal... and I'm gonna give it to them."

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• porchdwellerporchdweller Posts: 228
    Yeah, it's awesome.

If you're really bored eat some fungus and watch it. It really comes to life then. But it's still awesome regardless.
    "That's part of the curse: If you're gonna play the song, you better play it. I've tried to phone in "Jeremy" a few times, and it's tough. It doesn't work."

EV
  • ||Release_Me||||Release_Me|| Posts: 1,871
    Yeah, it's awesome.

If you're really bored eat some fungus and watch it. It really comes to life then. But it's still awesome regardless.

Any personal highlights? I particularly love Lay Low and Gideon.
    "This town deserves a better class of criminal... and I'm gonna give it to them."

• Its fucking killer, imo. I have the CD's as well. This band just fucking jams man. My personal favorites are Run Thru, One Big Holiday, and Mahgeetah.
    Driving in my car, smoking a cigar. The only time I'm happy is when I play my guitar.

-from "n.s.u." by Cream
  • marino13marino13 Posts: 31
    The three song run of "Lay Low", "Dondante", "Run Thru" can make a grown man cry. Other highlights for me are "I Will Sing You Songs", "Mahgeetah", and the opening guitar assault on "Lowdown". That's just scratching the surface. You will love this DVD, put on some headphones and crank it.
  • zackmorriszackmorris Posts: 24
    I think this is the only dvd i've ever played more than tb2000. i'm grateful for my morning jacket because they're young and i expect they'll tour pretty extensively for the next several years. i've seen them 4 times in the last 12 months. and, as pj slows down their schedule a bit, mmj has been the only other band (pj is other) in which their live show can take me out of my own world.

highlights of the dvd and cd are: Run Thru, Lowdown, Mageetah, Wordless Chorus and One Big Holiday. Those are just my faves but the whole thing is really fucking great.
    You had me worried!
    So worried, that this would last...
    But now I'm learning, learning that this will pass...
  • The whole thing is just perfect.

There are a few on the audio version that didn't make the video and vice-versa. So make sure you get both to get em all.
    Teamwork. Rawk. Pwnage. Infinite Possibilities. YIELD. Hells yeah.
  • JulienJulien Posts: 2,457
    marino13 wrote:
    The three song run of "Lay Low", "Dondante", "Run Thru" can make a grown man cry.

Exactly !
    3 songs, 30 minutes of pure music.
    AWESOME !
    2006: Antwerp, Paris
    2007: Copenhagen, Werchter
    2009: Rotterdam, London
    2010: MSG, Arras, Werchter
    2012: Amsterdam, Prague, Berlin
    2014: Amsterdam, Stockholm
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    I love this DVD

I few weeks ago it was late night and i returned from the bar. I put it in i wanted to just watch a couple songs and i was giong ot go to bed. Well everysong that came on was must so good i could not stop watching and ended up watching the whole damn thing into the wee hours of the morning.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217
    I dont know the names of any of the songs, or anything about the band, but I bought this DVD a few weeks ago because of you all on here talking about it so much, and I am very happy with my purchase...it's on a constant rotation lately. Awsome DVD!
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • I dont know the names of any of the songs, or anything about the band, but I bought this DVD a few weeks ago because of you all on here talking about it so much, and I am very happy with my purchase...it's on a constant rotation lately. Awsome DVD!

If you like the dvd, do yourself a favor and see them live. you won't regret it.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 MSG I, Fenway I, Fenway II
    Ok, well now i'm very excited!

• BrezBrez Posts: 570
    Ok, well now i'm very excited!

You should be. Every time I put it in I just watch it all the way through. Just as good as Live at the Garden, better than TB2000. (My Opinion)
    And before his first step... He's off again...
    Brez wrote:
    You should be. Every time I put it in I just watch it all the way through. Just as good as Live at the Garden, better than TB2000. (My Opinion)

That's quite a bold thing to say. I LOVE TB2000!

It arrived this morning! Just started watching and i'm super impressed so far. The whole 'party' bit at the beginning is a bit odd but the performances so far are wonderful!

• porchdwellerporchdweller Posts: 228
    It won't seem odd when you finish the DVD. Look at the reactions and facial expressions of the ole chap.
    "That's part of the curse: If you're gonna play the song, you better play it. I've tried to phone in "Jeremy" a few times, and it's tough. It doesn't work."

EV
    It won't seem odd when you finish the DVD. Look at the reactions and facial expressions of the ole chap.

lol, yeah i've noticed that as the show progresses he seems happier. And a lot sweatier too :)

Gideon just blew my mind.

• JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217
    My roomate fell asleep watching this dvd the other night. He woke up during the Bear ripping people apart chapter. I think he's scarred for life. He said he had a bad dream about a bear after that. The music still rocks-the-fuck-out, bear mauling or not.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
    Someone please explain to me...

What was the point of the final sequence where the bear kills A.Man??

Other than that, the DVD was fan-frickin'-tastic!

• cc10106cc10106 Posts: 385
    i'm not sure how hard to find it is now, but there was a companion dvd called 'acoustic chorale' sold with okonokos in indie stores (got mine on the 'bay tho). it has 6 songs not found on the okonokos dvd, most not on the cd either. it's well worth it if you can find it, being that it includes the following:

'i think i'm going to hell' (words don't describe, but it's atleast on the cd)
    'strangulation'
    'hopefully'
    'bermuda highway'
    'where to begin'
    'sooner'