Is Modest Mouse good Live?

Perennial TearsPerennial Tears Posts: 133
edited April 2007 in Other Music
Going to see them at Cox Arena, San Diego. It will be the first time visiting that arena since witnessing one of the best Pearl Jam shows ever. Can't wait.

Thanks,
PT
...........MemorieslikestatuesthroughthemIdriveliketreesonthesidesidewalksmoretreesevenstopsignS
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Low_Light03Low_Light03 Posts: 1,227
    Going to see them at Cox Arena, San Diego. It will be the first time visiting that arena since witnessing one of the best Pearl Jam shows ever. Can't wait.

Thanks,
    PT

Good question.

Legendary PJ show at the Cox Arena almost a year ago.

Have fun.

Spitting Venom rocks!!
    If You Give, You Begin To Live

But You Might Die Trying
  • florence151florence151 Posts: 597
    Saw Modest Mouse in a local park two summers ago. Great show. Lots of fun. Worth seeing.
    Hold On
  • I saw MM about three years ago and I told myself I would never see them again live do to their performance. I thought it was one of the worst performances I had ever seen. I really dig their studio albums, they have some interesting stuff. I'm going back on my word and I'm going to see them in Boise next week. Who knows, they may of just had a bad night when I first saw them.
    11/01/95-Salt Lake City
    11/02/95-Salt Lake City
    06/20/98-Missoula, Mt
    11/03/00-Boise
    12/08/02-Seattle
    12/09/02-Seattle
    06/07/03-Phoenix
    10/25/03-Shoreline (Bridge School Concert)
    09/01/05 The Gorge
    07/06/06 Las Vegas
    07/22/06 The Gorge
  • darkcrowdarkcrow Posts: 1,102
    well they now have johnny marr so you never know
  • I have seen them 3 times, and it has been a mixed bag. 2 times were amazing, one show in particular is one of the best shows I have ever seen. The other one everyone was hammered and slurring nonsense all night. It was terrible. It was at a really small club too, so it had all the makings of a great eveing. I am actually excited to see them at Lolla, and I would definately pay to see them if they came through Houston again. But like many bands, they are not PJ and every show is not a memorable one....
    What ain't a country I ever heard of. Do they speak English in what?
  • from what i've heard isaac has sobered up a bit for the shows, he realized how sloppy he was

i've seen them once, at bonnaroo in 2005 and it was a great show... seeing them in two weeks in toronto, can't wait the new album is absolutely a gem
    looking for 2 to Columbia...

***GOT EM***
  • LiftedLifted Posts: 1,836
    thats a good question and i'll tell you what......i have no idea if they are any good live, i dig some of their stuff and i think they are a pretty descent band but i really have no interest in seeing them live. that being said.......THEY BETTER BE A FUCKING GOOD LIVE BAND BECAUSE I HEAR THEY ARE CHARGING 85 DOLLARS A TICKET AT THE ELECTRIC FACTORY IN PHILLY. WHO DO THESE GUYS THINK THEY ARE? BANDS THAT PLAY AT THE ELECTRIC FACTORY ARE TYPICALLY KNOWN TO CHARGE ABOUT 25 DOLLARS A TICKET. I DON'T WHAT THE DEAL IS WITH THAT OUTRAGEOUS PRICE BUT THEY AREN'T THE ROLLING STONES (WHO I WOULDN'T PAY THEIR OUTRAGEOUS PRICES EITHER)....ANYWAY THERE IS NO EXCUSE FOR THAT. AND I KNOW TICKETMASTER ISN'T MAKING THEM CHARGE THAT MUCH. IT'S JUST DICK TO THE FANS IN MY OPINION.
  • yeah, its weird with them. some nights it will be one of the best shows you've ever seen and some nights its just not very good.
    Cheat the odds that made you
    Brave to try to gamble at times
  • jeffbrjeffbr Posts: 7,177
    yeah, its weird with them. some nights it will be one of the best shows you've ever seen and some nights its just not very good.

Totally agree with this. And for me it seems to tie in with the size of the venue. In a small venue this band totally puts on the show. I've seen them twice in a large venue and it was a trainwreck.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • thats a good question and i'll tell you what......i have no idea if they are any good live, i dig some of their stuff and i think they are a pretty descent band but i really have no interest in seeing them live. that being said.......THEY BETTER BE A FUCKING GOOD LIVE BAND BECAUSE I HEAR THEY ARE CHARGING 85 DOLLARS A TICKET AT THE ELECTRIC FACTORY IN PHILLY. WHO DO THESE GUYS THINK THEY ARE? BANDS THAT PLAY AT THE ELECTRIC FACTORY ARE TYPICALLY KNOWN TO CHARGE ABOUT 25 DOLLARS A TICKET. I DON'T WHAT THE DEAL IS WITH THAT OUTRAGEOUS PRICE BUT THEY AREN'T THE ROLLING STONES (WHO I WOULDN'T PAY THEIR OUTRAGEOUS PRICES EITHER)....ANYWAY THERE IS NO EXCUSE FOR THAT. AND I KNOW TICKETMASTER ISN'T MAKING THEM CHARGE THAT MUCH. IT'S JUST DICK TO THE FANS IN MY OPINION.
    You're only 50 dollars off there, champ. And let's take it easy with the all caps
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
  • You're only 50 dollars off there, champ. And let's take it easy with the all caps

seriously. youd think youd research that fact before going on a meaningless diatribe.
    Cheat the odds that made you
    Brave to try to gamble at times
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    damn... i bought tickets to see them in 2 weeks and it's in some sort of theatre. i have balcony seats though, so that isnt promising. if id known they would be at lolla id have passed. im broke as it is.
  • SLH916SLH916 Posts: 132
    jeffbr wrote:
    Totally agree with this. And for me it seems to tie in with the size of the venue. In a small venue this band totally puts on the show. I've seen them twice in a large venue and it was a trainwreck.

They aren't necessarily good in a small venue. It's a question of whether they've decided to really play or not. Maybe it's not being sober, but it seems like it's also the crowd.
  • LiftedLifted Posts: 1,836
    You're only 50 dollars off there, champ. And let's take it easy with the all caps

yeah, theres no need to be a smartass, but i was wrong. a friend of mine is a huge modest mouse fan and he's going and he told me he was paying 85 dollars a ticket. i didn't feel the need to research because i figured he wasn't making it up. and yeah the caps were just for some extra effect......but seriously if they were charging 85 dollars a ticket that would be ridiculous, but i guess they're not. so whatever, my bad.
  • BrainofdzBrainofdz Posts: 1,617
    They were a smoking live band in the late 90's when I saw them the most.
    Since 03, I've seen them twice, and I thought the performances were ok, but it was really the lack of diversity in the set lists that disapointed me. When I saw them in November, they played a total of 2 songs pre-dating The Moon And Anarctica. Thats just not cutting it with me.
    "Stunned by my own reflection, It's looking back, sees me too clearly and I swore I'd never go there again, Not unlike a friend that politely drags you down,down,down"

When you see me on the street, yell out "FAVO!!!"

I've been to alot of Pearl Jam shows;So fucking what.
  • Blind MelonBlind Melon Posts: 911
    Just TWO!?!?! Oh my fuck... I'd flip the shit out. I'd kill to hear Trailer Trash live.
    If I could, think I would give in.
    Brainofdz wrote:
    They were a smoking live band in the late 90's when I saw them the most.
    Since 03, I've seen them twice, and I thought the performances were ok, but it was really the lack of diversity in the set lists that disapointed me. When I saw them in November, they played a total of 2 songs pre-dating The Moon And Anarctica. Thats just not cutting it with me.

i might be the only person who'd be ok with that. funny how it works though... if pearl jam played a setlist with only 2 songs prior to... say... no code, y'all would be creaming in your shorts.
  • Blind MelonBlind Melon Posts: 911
    No, I don't even like Pearl Jam.
    If I could, think I would give in.
  • I stand corrected as to what I said earlier that I would never see MM again. I just saw them Tuesday night and they put on a great show. Only complaint is that they only two songs prior to their last two albums. They opened w/ Paper Thin Walls and jammed out to Doin the Coacroach before the encore. I was disappointed they did'nt play more old school stuff...don't forget about the fans that have been listening to you for a long time. Seems they are trying to get a fan base off of their newest two albums.
    11/01/95-Salt Lake City
    11/02/95-Salt Lake City
    06/20/98-Missoula, Mt
    11/03/00-Boise
    12/08/02-Seattle
    12/09/02-Seattle
    06/07/03-Phoenix
    10/25/03-Shoreline (Bridge School Concert)
    09/01/05 The Gorge
    07/06/06 Las Vegas
    07/22/06 The Gorge
    No, I don't even like Pearl Jam.

what are you doing here then?
    I stand corrected as to what I said earlier that I would never see MM again. I just saw them Tuesday night and they put on a great show. Only complaint is that they only two songs prior to their last two albums. They opened w/ Paper Thin Walls and jammed out to Doin the Coacroach before the encore. I was disappointed they did'nt play more old school stuff...don't forget about the fans that have been listening to you for a long time. Seems they are trying to get a fan base off of their newest two albums.

so they didnt even dip into moon & antratica eh?

does anyone want tickets to the chicago show? my gf and i are supposed to go sunday night, but since they are playing lollapalooza, we're wondering if it doesn't make sense to save ourselves the cash. im willing to sell for even less than i paid for them. they cost me $90. ill sell for $80 or best offer.
  • I have seen them live (but only once) and I thought they were great and I am very picky becasue I compare everyone to Pearl Jam and nobdoy comes close....they don't either but in comparison to others they put on a good show. I am gonna see them again...new album is awesome.
  • I saw them at the Gorge a few years ago when they were touring for their last album...they kicked ass...very good show....I saw them on their current tour at the paramount in seattle...good show but they need to fire their sound crew...LOTS OF HORRIBLE FEEDBACK and overall the sound was just a mess...nothing was coming through very well.
    "Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
    -my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .
  • boroff89boroff89 Posts: 786
    I've seen them twice. The first time, they only played for an hour and fifteen minutes despite being the headliner. They also played nothing from The Moon and Antarctica. The second time, which was this past December at No So Silent Night here in SF (with Johnny Marr), it was possibly the most awful live performance I have ever seen. They butchered just about every song they played. I am not really interested in seeing them again after those two shows.

That being said, they still put out incredible studio albums, and I consider them to be one of my favorite bands. They just blow live.
    It makes much more sense to live in the present tense.