new to kings of leon

Perennial TearsPerennial Tears Posts: 133
edited August 2007 in Other Music
Which album should I Get and why? I don't want a live one like the one iTunes just released.
...........MemorieslikestatuesthroughthemIdriveliketreesonthesidesidewalksmoretreesevenstopsignS
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• RansomPTDRansomPTD Posts: 298
    depends-if you like a raw sound get their first one-Youth and Young Manhood, if you like a finished sound get Because of the Times. Or just get all three of their albums-they are all great
  • MasterFramerMasterFramer Posts: 2,268
    Live EP on iTunes is awesome... dont know what you are smoking...

AND you should buy BOTH of their albums... AND NEVER miss them live...
    10.31.93 / 10.1.94 / 6.24.95 / 11.4.95 / 10.19-20.96 / 7.16.98 / 7.21.98 / 10.31.00 /8.4.01 Nader Rally/ 10.21.01 / 12.8-9.02 / 6.01.03 / 9.1.05 / 7.15-16,18.06 / 7.20.06 / 7.22-23.06 / Lolla 07
  • I wouldn't recommend "because o the times" as a introduction. Aha shake heartbreak is maybe the easiest to get into.

but then again it may be cooler to listen to them in order o' release? yeah?
    ...The Moon is Rollin' Round....
  • The girlfriend loves this band and says Aha Shake Heartbreak is easily the best. I like it fine, the new one I do not like much at all.
  • pjsycopjsyco Posts: 646
    Which album should I Get and why? I don't want a live one like the one iTunes just released.
    ALL OF 'EM!! THEY ALL KICK ASS!!
  • Jesika537Jesika537 Posts: 301
    I would start with Youth and Young Manhood and go in chronological oreder... It's really cool to hear the way they've evolved in a short time.. All 3 are great!
    Detroit '98 - Detroit '03 - Toledo '04 - Grand Rapids '04 - Kitchener '05 - London '05 - Grand Rapids '06 - Cleveland '06 - Detroit '06 - Chicago '07 - West Palm Beach - Tampa '08 - Toronto '09 - Indy '10 - Buffalo '10 - Toronto '11 - London '13
  • Murder wrote:
    I wouldn't recommend "because o the times" as a introduction. Aha shake heartbreak is maybe the easiest to get into.

but then again it may be cooler to listen to them in order o' release? yeah?

The first time I heard KOL was at Lolla and I thought they were awesome. I found myself in the same situation (which album), and ended up getting Because of the Times. I don't know if it's because they played seven of the songs on that one at Lolla or what, but I think I made the right choice. That album kicks ass!! I plan on buying the first two also.
    The answers are fatal

• Buy all three. Saw KOL at the Cain's Ballroom in Tulsa a few months back, awesome live energy. Visited with Jared, the bass player at an after party. Cool guy, said opening for PJ was a great gig to have. More good things to come from the Kings I suspect.
  • Will that Live EP go on a cd? I would love to hear that.
  • the new one is definately different. i liked it but some of my friends didnt think it was as good as the first two.

but they are awesome
  • vedderfan10vedderfan10 Posts: 2,497
    Gonna check 'em out at Bumbershoot next weekend - should be most cool! I'm really not all that familiar with their music, although I have the latest album and I LOVE "Molly's Chambers"....
    be philanthropic
  • ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    just get all 3 KOL albums. Very cool band highly impressive records they have realeased.
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • pjhabitpjhabit Posts: 211
    How fucking cool are these guys! I think every album gets better than the next. And I was lucky enough to see them twice this month. Also I came away w/ a towel, bass pick & a drumstick(biggest haul I've ever had at a show)whoo hoo! Anyway to answer your question get them all & play them in order. KOL fucking rock!
    Boise 11/3/00~Fargo 6/15/03~Winnipeg 9/8/05~St. Paul 6/26/06~6/27/06
  • aha shake...
    I miss you hippiemom.
  • restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,951
    because of the times, is my first exposure to the kings and it is absolutely great...i feel really stupid for skipping them they opened for the two U2 shows here in vancouver...

it is a great refreshing sound and i love it...

SHES SUCH A CHARMER,....O NO!
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
  • because of the times, is my first exposure to the kings and it is absolutely great...i feel really stupid for skipping them they opened for the two U2 shows here in vancouver...

it is a great refreshing sound and i love it...

SHES SUCH A CHARMER,....O NO!

I never miss the opening act. Some of the best shows I've heard are opening acts.

Can't wait till January when they play Sydney. Should be a great show.
  • restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,951
    beernsmoke wrote:
    I never miss the opening act. Some of the best shows I've heard are opening acts.

Can't wait till January when they play Sydney. Should be a great show.

i usually dont either, but sometimes its out of my hands and the people im with wanna just go in for the headliner...yknow how it is...oh well....i hope the come here after sydney!!! enjoy the show!
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    AND you should buy BOTH of their albums... AND NEVER miss them live...

perhaps YOU should buy ANOTHER one then... they've RELEASED 3!!!! ;)

i'm seeing them again in December :kol:
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    dunkman wrote:
    perhaps YOU should buy ANOTHER one then... they've RELEASED 3!!!! ;)

i'm seeing them again in December :kol:

seeing them in Sept!!! Can't wait seen them 3 times already (twice with pearl jam).
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    Zoso wrote:
    seeing them in Sept!!! Can't wait seen them 3 times already (twice with pearl jam).

i was hoping they'd support PJ when they did London back in June... i've seen them twice now but KOL and PJ in the same night wouldve been amazing.. it also would have been an acronymists dream :D

i might have to check out itunes later for this live EP... never heard anything about it and i'm sure i have signed up to KOL's newsletters?? perhaps its US/CAN thing only?
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • urbanhippieurbanhippie Posts: 3,007
    I was kinda hoping it would be KOL at wembley too. They are awesome! Aha Shake Heartbreak is the easiest album to get into for a newbie IMO. Although I do love their new one too...
    They are doing the NIA in Birmingham in December so come on down and shake your stuff.....
    A human being that was given to fly.

Wembley 18/06/07

If there was a reason, it was you.

O2 Arena 18/09/09
  • Because Of The Times is a kick ass album

I love McFearless and Black Thumbnail!
    20-04-2006 04-09-2006 05-09-2006 11-09-2006 16-09-2006 17-09-2006 18-06-2007 21-06-2007 26-06-2007 28-06-2007 17-08-2009 20-05-2010 21-05-2010

"The live shows? Well, that's church on Sundays"
  • LukinFanLukinFan Posts: 29,040
    All of their albums kick ass! I'm going to see them for the first time in Orlando on Halloween!

Does anyone know if they sell individual tour posters at their shows like PJ?
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • LukinFan wrote:
    All of their albums kick ass! I'm going to see them for the first time in Orlando on Halloween!

Does anyone know if they sell individual tour posters at their shows like PJ?

They did at the show I was at. They also sell customized rolling papers :D
    NERDS!
  • dunkman wrote:

i might have to check out itunes later for this live EP... never heard anything about it and i'm sure i have signed up to KOL's newsletters?? perhaps its US/CAN thing only?

It is only on US itunes at the moment Dunkman so we'll just have to bide our time till they release it on UK itunes.
  • Because Of The Times is a kick ass album

I love McFearless and Black Thumbnail!

Black Thumbnail is just a classic opening song. I love that they did it at Lolla.

I go back and forth on my fave album, but you really can't go wrong with any of the three. If I had a gun to my head, I guess I'd say I like Because of the Times the best, with Aha Shake a very close 2nd.
  • LukinFanLukinFan Posts: 29,040
    Very Interesting. Thanks in advance!
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis