Silverchair

stateoflove79stateoflove79 Posts: 2,845
edited January 2008 in Other Music
...is becoming one of my favorite bands. Their last 3 albums have been fucking amazing. Diorama alone is in my top 50 albums of all time. Any thoughts on this band?...How is everyone liking Young Modern?...I think that is a solid effort, too.
Is it so wrong to think that love can keep us safe?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Hi Matt! I agree Diorama is amazing. Neon Ballroom too. From what I heard Young Modern is a wee bit too experimental sounding for me...but the other 2 are great albums. :)
    "Oh, a flower you are to my land..."
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    Liked the first album, a few songs on the second album and havent liked anything since.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • One of my favorite bands of all time. Daniel Johns is beyond talented. Such a sick voice. GO see them live if you can. But don't expect frogstomp.
    Diorama is my favorite.
    PJ - 36
    EV - 5
    (**Letterman'02, Irving Plaza, Storytellers, Beacon, ACL, Spectrum 3&4, Bridge School '10**)

"Constant recoil,..sometimes life don't leave you alone."
    Let's connect on twitter - @Jeffgorra
  • tonadaxtonadax Posts: 594
    I think Silverchair it's one of those bands like Incubus wich get better with every record they put out......
  • RockKingRockKing Posts: 431
    tonadax wrote:
    I think Silverchair it's one of those bands like Incubus wich get better with every record they put out......

It's funny how different people's opinions of music can be. I think Incubus has gotten steadily worse with every album since SCIENCE. I think SCIENCE is one of the best albums ever made. Whereas with Silverchair, I agree....I think they keep getting better and better.
    --"I'm like an opening band for the sun"

--"We’re taking pills to get along with life… the pills are YIELD and PJ’s music. Then we create words to call our own = our analysis of YIELD." - YIH
  • tonadax wrote:
    I agree with this statement.

Edit: I do think they slipped a little bit with Light Grenades, however. ACLOTM is their best album in my opinion, and I can't wait to see what they come with next. Light Grenades is still a damn good record though.
  • Hi Matt! I agree Diorama is amazing. Neon Ballroom too. From what I heard Young Modern is a wee bit too experimental sounding for me...but the other 2 are great albums. :)
    HI Chris!!...Give Young Modern a try...it's pretty good...it's no Diorama, but still really good. :)

Hope you had a great holiday.
  • ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,761
    Hi Matt! I agree Diorama is amazing. Neon Ballroom too. From what I heard Young Modern is a wee bit too experimental sounding for me...but the other 2 are great albums. :)

You love Diorama but Young Modern was too experimental for you? That's odd. I think Diorama would be the harder album to get into because it is so experimental. Young Modern is just kick ass straightforward rock and roll. No crazy tunings or pianos, just driven guitar rock.
  • Young Modern is just kick ass straightforward rock and roll. No crazy tunings or pianos, just driven guitar rock.

huh? there are only 2 songs on YM that I would consider Rock (Losing Sleep and Mindreader). the rest is very poppy and there is WAY too much Paul Mac all over the album. i like the album, but initially I was disappointed. it took a while to grow on me. Diorama on the other hand was brilliant from the get-go.

simply amazing band. and part of me loves that they dont have a huge following here in the states.
    -

"In your case, I'll check my brain at the door and we'll start even, okay?"

Have you thanked a taper today?
  • I don't like Young Modern that much.. But Diorama and Neon Ballroom are two really brilliant albums :)
    Great live band too..
  • RicsardRicsard Posts: 1,943
    Well, personally I think SIlverchair used to get better and better - Diorama is their very best masterpiece however Young Modern is still a pretty fuckin' good record - unfortunately it does not rock hard - instead sounds kinda art poprock!

Incubus: my three fav albums are Make Yourself , A Crow Left Of The Murder AND(!) Light Grenades. I am so happy I saw them twice in 2007 on their Grenades tour - it's been a pretty good era of theirs!
    Budapest.Budapest.Arnhem.Antwerpen.Vienna.Madrid.Katowice.Nova_rock.Nijmegen.Rotterdam.Berlin.Dublin.Belfast.London.Venice.Prague.Stockholm.Copenhagen.Vienna.Leeds.Milton_keynes.Padova.Prague.Seattle1.Seattle2.Chicago1.Budapest.Cracow.Vienna..>>>LONDON.BERLIN1.BERLIN2
    Eddie: Dublin & London
  • pjfan31pjfan31 Posts: 7,331
    I love aussie bands doing well. most of their songs. SOme are a bit hard to swollow, but how good are their old stuffas like 14 yr olds, Freak, Tommorrow abuse me. Good stuff.

Are they really big overseas or do u have to search hard for their albums?
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
  • I guess I'm unusual in that I like all of Silverchair's cds except Frogstomp. The music isn't bad, but except for one or two tracks I get bored listening to it. But I love the aggression on Freak Show and the experimental tracks on the later cds.
  • Neon Ballroom is my favorite. I still think it's one of the best albums of all time. I liked the experimental Diorama, and Young Modern really grows on you. Saw them live in 97 and 99, can't wait for the next time. First silverchair then Wolfmother. Australia just sent us another amazing band in Airbourne. Whatever they are putting in the water down there, keep doing it!
    Vancouver 07/19/98 Vancouver 05/30/03
    Portland 11/02/00 Vancouver 09/02/05
    Boise 11/03/00 Gorge 1 07/22/06
    Seattle 1 11/05/00 Gorge 2 07/23/06
    Seattle 2 11/06/00 Vancouver 09/25/09
  • Diorama and Young Modern are both really great. Neon Ballroom wasn't bad. Everything before that was forgetable.
    I am right by your side...
  • chris05chris05 Posts: 347
    Young Modern is by far my favorite album of 2007. When i first got it I did'nt know what to expect but I loved it. Different album for sure, but great.
    Who cares if the world is going down the toilet? Eddie Vedder got his mojo back!
  • its different than their old ones, and more mature and interesting too. Still sucks though. I'll give them credit for trying, but i still dont like their music.
  • mertmert Posts: 167
    It's funny, Silverchair is one of my favourite, favourite bands... And for similar reasons as why I love PJ, and the other band that rounds out my top three favourites, the Tragically Hip - because they write the music that they want, and that they feel is the best. They aren't afraid to experiment and take their fans for a ride. All three bands have opened my eyes to all kinds of music I wouldn't have listened to otherwise.

And in my opinion, Paul Mac is love ;)
  • chris05 wrote:
    Young Modern is by far my favorite album of 2007. When i first got it I did'nt know what to expect but I loved it. Different album for sure, but great.

I fell in love with it almost instantly.