So I found out that my wife is buying tix for us to see...

stateoflove79stateoflove79 Posts: 2,845
edited July 2008 in Other Music
My Morning Jacket!!..I am so fuckin' psyched, I cannot even explain.

Who here has seen them live?...what kind of a treat am I in for?
Is it so wrong to think that love can keep us safe?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• ntt117ntt117 Posts: 56
    I saw there show at Bonnaroo and it was the best show i have ever seen (barely beats out the 3 times ive seen Pearl Jam). Their show is full of instensity and the songs are even more epic live. The fact that they played for almost 4 hours is probably what pushed it above any other concert ive been to, but i can almost promise that a normal live show will not dissapoint. You are in for a treat.
    "If we werent all crazy we would go insane."
  • stateoflove79stateoflove79 Posts: 2,845
    ntt117 wrote:
    I saw there show at Bonnaroo and it was the best show i have ever seen (barely beats out the 3 times ive seen Pearl Jam). Their show is full of instensity and the songs are even more epic live. The fact that they played for almost 4 hours is probably what pushed it above any other concert ive been to, but i can almost promise that a normal live show will not dissapoint. You are in for a treat.

Thanks for the comments...I love them anyways, just wanted a taste of the live experience.
  • musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
    havent ever seen them live, but have heard they rank up their with the best of the best. That they are one of the best live bands around
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,230
    They were like Radiohead for me. Thought they were solid on record...then I saw them live and they became one of my favorite bands. Prepare to lose your mind...
    pjl44 wrote:
    They were like Radiohead for me. Thought they were solid on record...then I saw them live and they became one of my favorite bands. Prepare to lose your mind...
    I can only imagine...how are they as far as crowd interaction?...do they get the crowd involved?
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,230
    I can only imagine...how are they as far as crowd interaction?...do they get the crowd involved?

Eh...not so much. Just basically however much the crowd chooses to rock out and sing along. Not a lot of banter or audience participation moments.
    pjl44 wrote:
    Eh...not so much. Just basically however much the crowd chooses to rock out and sing along. Not a lot of banter or audience participation moments.
    Oh, I can deal w/ that if the music kicks ass!
  • Lukin66Lukin66 Posts: 3,063
    I'm seeing them in September here in Seattle... I AM SO EXCITED
    deep, deep blue of the morning
    gets to me every time
  • audiodaveaudiodave Posts: 1,623
    They come alive on stage...it really is where they belong. Jim James is such an enigmatic frontman (especially when he's about three foot away from you like when we saw him :eek:).

They really are one of the best live bands i've seen, and they rank up there with PJ.

And Jim James can hit all the high notes he does on record, even Dondante and Highly Suspicious.
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

I don't wanna think, I wanna feel

Dublin 23/08/06 Lisbon I 04/09/06 Lisbon II 05/09/06 Paris 11/09/06 Verona 16/09/06

London 18/06/07 Dusseldorf 21/06/07 Copenhagen 26/06/07 Nijmegen 28/06/07
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,358
    I've seen MMJ a few times now, as an opener, at Lolla, and then part of their set at Bonnaroo...

WHile I agree that they a a good band, and a good live band, I just can't seem to get into them...any suggestions or should I just stop?
    hippiemom = goodness
  • DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,757
    You wife is cool. MINE drags me to Bon Jovi concerts...
    I smile, but who am I kidding...
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    I've seen them twice once and both times were great. They are on my list of if they ever come to town i'm going to see them :)

I'll be seeing them again in august

FYI any girl that buys me mmj tickets i'll strongly consider marrying :D espcially if they are a pearl jam fan... just throwin that out there :D
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • chimpatchimpat Posts: 590
    You will LOVE this show man!
    "This is about as perfect a crowd as you can get. I hate to placate, I ain't placating...." - EV, 9/29/96

• LedZepFanLedZepFan Posts: 1,009
    saw them open for PJ in East Rutherford in 06, at lolla 07, and about a month ago at Radio City Music Hall

the latter was one of the greatest things i'd ever seen live

if you're more a fan of their later stuff (like I am, not to say the old stuff is bad, i just dont like it as much) they play pretty much everything you could ask for with a few surprises thrown in (we got "The Bear" from their first album, incredible)

you're in for an experience
    I've faced it, a life wasted, and I'm never going back again.

Some die just to live.
  • Inhiding230Inhiding230 Posts: 362
    I've seen MMJ a few times now, as an opener, at Lolla, and then part of their set at Bonnaroo...

WHile I agree that they a a good band, and a good live band, I just can't seem to get into them...any suggestions or should I just stop?

I've had the same issue because their studio stuff just doesn't grab me. But I have seen them live at Bonnaroo twice and they blew me away both times. I downloaded the Roo 2008 show and have been listening to it and also Evil Urges (their newest CD) and I am really starting to enjoy their stuff more.

I am going to see them again in Nashville in a few weeks :)

And to the original poster, yes you are in for treat !! You have a very cool wife - I wish my husband wanted to come see them but he didn't so I am going alone :(
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    They are clearly good musicians and play well live. If you like the band you'll have a great time. The are one of those bands I wish I liked, but they just don't do much for me. I would say I gave them a fair chance, having seen them at almost every PJ show I saw in 06, and at Lolla last year.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008