NIrvana and Sublime are damn near identical...

stateoflove79stateoflove79 Posts: 2,845
edited March 2007 in Other Music
Ok, not really in musical styles, but check it out...

Both have 3 albums (Bleach, Nevermind, In Utero...40 Oz. To Freedom, Robbin' The Hood, Sublime)

Both have a B-side disc (Incesticide...Second Hand Smoke)

Both have a live album (From The Muddy Banks Of The Wishkah...Stand By Your Van)

Both now have a 3-disc, 1-dvd box set (With The Lights Out...Everything Under The Sun)

Both singers died way too fucking early.
Is it so wrong to think that love can keep us safe?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,848
    not to mention that both bands had just three members
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • stateoflove79stateoflove79 Posts: 2,845

I forgot to put that actually...
  • Both bands are also insanely overrated and annoy me every time I hear them.
    Both bands are also insanely overrated and annoy me every time I hear them.

I love both bands...

That being said, Nirvana is very overrated, but Sublime is not.
  • I love both bands...

I guess in a mainstream way Sublime isn't overrated. I was just forced to hear them everytime I went to a party in which there were alot of stoners that would yell "dude....lets listen to 'smoke two joints' WHILE smoking two joints!!!!!". Honestly I think they're music is awful. I mean, their musicianship is good, but the subject matter of their songs seems pretty adolescent.
    Both bands are also insanely overrated and annoy me every time I hear them.

it only took four posts for someone to say Nirvana is overrated. surprise surprise
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    I guess in a mainstream way Sublime isn't overrated. I was just forced to hear them everytime I went to a party in which there were alot of stoners that would yell "dude....lets listen to 'smoke two joints' WHILE smoking two joints!!!!!". Honestly I think they're music is awful. I mean, their musicianship is good, but the subject matter of their songs seems pretty adolescent.

Understandable
  • it only took four posts for someone to say Nirvana is overrated. surprise surprise

No kidding. People can't resist.
    "Everyone is a patriot in some form or another.... i prefer the intelligent ones."

"She fell funny"

"Klaus Daimler, 40, engineer, calm, collected, German"
  • brhf9brhf9 Posts: 1,475
    7 letters.
    'Go easy, step lightly, stay free!'

You have been banned for the following reason:
    inappropriate post.

'Too many people on this earth. We need a new plague.' - Dwight Schrute
  • MerkyjammMerkyjamm Posts: 272
    it only took four posts for someone to say Nirvana is overrated. surprise surprise
    Probably 'cause it's true? They're overrated in the same way that Pearl Jam is underrated. The number of students I meet who say, when I mention PJ, 'oh yeah, they sucked compared to Nirvana, who were, incidentally, the soundtrack to my childhood'.

Wow. Fun.
    Too many cowboys, not enough indians, so just go ape shit!

I may be boring but at least I'm not Jack fucking Johnson.

TV is such shit; let's go outside and ride bicycles, right now!

Madrid 07/09/06 - Little mofo'ing Wing!!!
    Wembley 06/18/07 - Speechless

www.last.fm/user/StNick_
    Merkyjamm wrote:
    The number of students I meet who say, when I mention PJ, 'oh yeah, they sucked compared to Nirvana,

well they're just being ignorant when they say that.

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • it only took four posts for someone to say Nirvana is overrated. surprise surprise

Truth hurts sometimes.
    "Strangers passing in the street, by chance two seperate glances meet, and I am you and what I see is me."
    Truth hurts sometimes.

it's just that the thread wasn't about Nirvana being overrated. it's about similarites between Nirvana and Sublime. oh well, whatever, nevermind

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Can this thread get back to what it was originally about instead of spiraling out of control like every other one w/ the name Nirvana in it? Christ, why the fuck do people feel it necessary to come into every single thread like this and shit all over it. I don't feel the need to go into GNR or Metallica threads and piss all over those.

Anyways, yes Sublime and Nirvana... very similar, very good bands!
    "Everyone is a patriot in some form or another.... i prefer the intelligent ones."

"She fell funny"

"Klaus Daimler, 40, engineer, calm, collected, German"
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    I love both bands...

nirvana is an eminently better band than sublime. nirvana might be more over-rated by the music press, but sublime is not that great. they're the token "cool band" in every college kid's dormroom... like the poster of che guevera.

but they are similar. except sublime stinks ;)

though i might just be bitter at all the ass-kissing brad nowell got after his death in comparison to the total apathy to shannon hoon's death.
  • tonadaxtonadax Posts: 594
    some sublime songs has the garage punk sound that nirvana made famous
    for example the song let´s go get stone live has it...

everytime pj fans hear the name NIRVANA they instantaneous get angry and says: nirvana is fuckin overated....
    if you´re sure about how good it´s PEARLJAM why many of you act like an immature.... yeah PJ i´t´s far better than nirvana, true music fans notice that....
  • KirkwoodKirkwood Posts: 228
    They are also connected to each other in another way.
    Eyes adrift.
    Chris Novaselic, Curt Kirkwood and the drummer of Sublime.

A really good record, if you´re a fan of Meat puppets, otherwise it´s fun to hear Chris sing
    2006 Paris, Prague
    2007 Munich, Katowice, Kopenhaven, Nijmegen
  • yellowled24yellowled24 Posts: 3,118
    i didnt know that! Its funny how with just three ppl u can get a very large sound!
    "....and was very surprised to see that he didnt actually have a recipe for anus-ankle soup." - Big Ed
  • JellyrollsJellyrolls Posts: 523
    Sublime were amazing! Can't really say the same for Nirvana, but it is weird how there are those types of similarities.
  • SathogwaSathogwa Posts: 227
    I like both bands. Brad Nowell was an AMAZING singer/vocalist, and great musician. He was very visionary with the sound he created. It was both song AND groove based. The music could deliver a catchy pop song and was fluid enough to stretch into a good jam at the same time. It was also open ended enough to add other ingrediants to. Punk, surf, blues, Greatful Dead shit. Good stuff. That said, it was too bad he died before he had a chance to mature and move beyond a lot of the adolescent fixations he seemed to have. A lot of the hip-hop influenced stuff he did was pretty lame, and a lot of his "rebel" posturing was pretty shallow and childish. It was just easy to get past when he had great songs and a great voice.

Kurt was kinda the same way. Its too bad he died before he could mature a little and finally stop giving a fuck about how "punk rock" he was or not, and just make the music he wanted. His very best music was probably a few years ahead of him and he never had a chance to create it.

Oh well. Just my thoughts.
    Sleep on horseback
    Far moon in a continuing dream
    Steam of roasting tea

--Basho
  • Hoon is definitely left out of the deadrockstar obsession/discussion far too often. His death in 95 makes the neat little sequence with Cobain (94) and Nowell (96).

Though there are some overt coincidences in Nirvana and Sublime, like Lincoln and Kennedy's assassinations.
    hate was just a legend
    Hoon is definitely left out of the deadrockstar obsession/discussion far too often. His death in 95 makes the neat little sequence with Cobain (94) and Nowell (96).

Though there are some overt coincidences in Nirvana and Sublime, like Lincoln and Kennedy's assassinations.

I was not leaving Hoon out of anything. Blind Melon are just not as similar as Sublime and Nirvana...which is what this thread is about...