I don't like Pretty Hate Machine...

stateoflove79stateoflove79 Posts: 2,845
edited March 2007 in Other Music
as much as the rest of NIN's stuff...there, I said it...now I feel better.

Not that it's a bad record, but I just cannot listen to it beginning to end like I can with Broken, Downward Spiral, The Fragile and With Teeth.

Not saying it's a bad album...I just prefer their other music.
Is it so wrong to think that love can keep us safe?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• boroff89boroff89 Posts: 786
    Pretty Hate Machine is still my favorite NIN album. With Teeth is probably my least favorite.
    It makes much more sense to live in the present tense.
  • as much as the rest of NIN's stuff...there, I said it...now I feel better.

Not that it's a bad record, but I just cannot listen to it beginning to end like I can with Broken, Downward Spiral, The Fragile and With Teeth.

Not saying it's a bad album...I just prefer their other music.

I can understand why you would feel that way. I like PHM very much but sometimes I skip over some tracks while listening.
  • stateoflove79stateoflove79 Posts: 2,845
    I can understand why you would feel that way. I like PHM very much but sometimes I skip over some tracks while listening.

I know!...I meant, the whole second half does nothing for me!...oh well.

I still love Terrible Lie and Head Like A Hole though....great songs...
    Is it so wrong to think that love can keep us safe?
  • boroff89 wrote:
    Pretty Hate Machine is still my favorite NIN album. With Teeth is probably my least favorite.

100% agree.
  • BrainofdzBrainofdz Posts: 1,617
    I quite like it. To me, only Spiral beats it, although I didn't get into the last one too much. (just didn't grab me)
    "Stunned by my own reflection, It's looking back, sees me too clearly and I swore I'd never go there again, Not unlike a friend that politely drags you down,down,down"

When you see me on the street, yell out "FAVO!!!"

I've been to alot of Pearl Jam shows;So fucking what.
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    personally i love pretty hate machine. :)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Penny453Penny453 Posts: 200
    I can listen to it from begining to end. I love the only time. :)
    "And even when I'm right with you I'm so far away"
  • I've always enjoyed PHM. I just wish that Trent would clean it up a bit and put it into 5.1. Actually, all NIN records should be 5.1, imo.

My favourite is still The Fragile.
  • mensanemensane Posts: 912
    i feel about PHM the same way i feel about vitalogy...i dont listen to it much...but damn do i love the way the songs sound live.....
  • I would say the same thing about Broken. It;s not that I don;t like it, it's just that most of the other stuff has a little more intelligence. Maybe I'm a music snob.
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    My favourite is The Fragile. I think PHM is a really impressive debut, although the abundance of synths has dated it somewhat. Can someone tell me why it is so many people dislike With Teeth? I think it's a very solid album, apart from a couple of fillers I think it is some of his best stuff.
  • PearlJamaholicPearlJamaholic Posts: 2,018
    i think its a great first album and i know this will sound crazy but i think the lyrics are too emo. i know it predates 'emo' by years. i cant explain it, i like all the other albums alot.
  • My favourite is The Fragile. I think PHM is a really impressive debut, although the abundance of synths has dated it somewhat. Can someone tell me why it is so many people dislike With Teeth? I think it's a very solid album, apart from a couple of fillers I think it is some of his best stuff.

I think anyone who doesn't like with teeth either doesn't like music or is more deeply into Nine Inch Nails than me and finds something missing. All the love in the world is one of the best songs I have ever heard period... I inlcude Pearl jam in that. The hand that feels is an amzing song - try using it in the gym!!!!... Beside you in time - wow.... I could go on... There's something for everyone - it's so diverse - maybe thats the problem. Or maybe the Emo kids can't relate to someone with biceps bigger than their waists....
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    I think anyone who doesn't like with teeth either doesn't like music or is more deeply into Nine Inch Nails than me and finds something missing. All the love in the world is one of the best songs I have ever heard period... I inlcude Pearl jam in that. The hand that feels is an amzing song - try using it in the gym!!!!... Beside you in time - wow.... I could go on... There's something for everyone - it's so diverse - maybe thats the problem. Or maybe the Emo kids can't relate to someone with biceps bigger than their waists....

Haha! I was watching the new dvd yesterday, man Trent is fucking ripped these days, his arms are huge! Anyway I totally agree about With Teeth, perhaps it's because it's a bit more rock based and less electronic. Right Where It Belongs is another amazing track.
  • Haha! I was watching the new dvd yesterday, man Trent is fucking ripped these days, his arms are huge! Anyway I totally agree about With Teeth, perhaps it's because it's a bit more rock based and less electronic. Right Where It Belongs is another amazing track.

One thing Trent teaches you - and to a cetain extent Pearl jam - is growth in music. I'm listening to Year Zero(or the leaked tracks so far), and it is so different from With Teeth that I'm sorried I won't like it... but as always it slowly grows on me... There's just this stamp of Trent throughout everything he does - the sign of a great composer...

and the sky is filled with light
    can you see it?
    all the black is really white
    if you believe it
    as your time is running out
    let me take away your doubt
    you can find a better a place
    in this twilight

Over one of those dripping pop melodies that Kylie would pay a million for....
  • ArctangentArctangent Posts: 614
    i think pretty hate machine is the weakest nin record as it was the first. trent really hadn't found his feet as a writer of music so much - the difference between phm and broken is huge. there are still very good songs on phm - head like a hole, sin, terrible lie, down in it, something i can never have, but i prefer them played live to on the studio album.
  • audiodaveaudiodave Posts: 1,623
    One thing Trent teaches you - and to a cetain extent Pearl jam - is growth in music. I'm listening to Year Zero(or the leaked tracks so far), and it is so different from With Teeth that I'm sorried I won't like it... but as always it slowly grows on me... There's just this stamp of Trent throughout everything he does - the sign of a great composer...

and the sky is filled with light
    can you see it?
    all the black is really white
    if you believe it
    as your time is running out
    let me take away your doubt
    you can find a better a place
    in this twilight

Over one of those dripping pop melodies that Kylie would pay a million for....

I think you will like Year Zero. It's a great record, and it all fits together when you hear the whole thing.

I love Pretty Hate Machine, but it sounds so much better live. It's like PJ's Ten. It's a classic, I love it, but it becomes so much more in a live setting.

Oh. And Trent isn't emo.
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

I don't wanna think, I wanna feel

Dublin 23/08/06 Lisbon I 04/09/06 Lisbon II 05/09/06 Paris 11/09/06 Verona 16/09/06

London 18/06/07 Dusseldorf 21/06/07 Copenhagen 26/06/07 Nijmegen 28/06/07
  • releesemereleeseme Posts: 387
    PHM is a classic. I love it, and I agree with the previous post. The songs from that album are much better live.
    8-20-92 \ 6-16-08
    10-4-96 \ 5-6-10
    9-6-98 \ 5-7-10
    4-19-03 \ 9-22-12
    10-6-04 \ 7-19-13
    6-24-06 \ 12-6-13
    10-1-14 \ 4-16-16
    \ 4-26-16 \
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    audiodave wrote:
    I love Pretty Hate Machine, but it sounds so much better live.

Same here on both counts. PHM was an awesome first album, but Trent has matured since then. Something like Ringfinger is clearly the work of a much younger man, but the record as a whole was ahead of its time at that time. I still listen to it, though as Audiodave does, I prefer many of the tracks live. (Admits to skipping Kinda I Want To on occasion though ;) )
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • releesemereleeseme Posts: 387
    JaneNY wrote:
    Same here on both counts. PHM was an awesome first album, but Trent has matured since then. Something like Ringfinger is clearly the work of a much younger man, but the record as a whole was ahead of its time at that time. I still listen to it, though as Audiodave does, I prefer many of the tracks live. (Admits to skipping Kinda I Want To on occasion though ;) )

"Light Years" ahead of its time...;) Its hard to believe that album came out in '89'. It is timeless for sure. Still sounds pretty damn good today.
    8-20-92 \ 6-16-08
    10-4-96 \ 5-6-10
    9-6-98 \ 5-7-10
    4-19-03 \ 9-22-12
    10-6-04 \ 7-19-13
    6-24-06 \ 12-6-13
    10-1-14 \ 4-16-16
    \ 4-26-16 \
  • darthvedder88darthvedder88 Posts: 1,023
    I absolutely love this record!!! I think that now this is my fav. NIN album with With Teeth close behind. Damn, PHM was so fresh, I mean Reznor had probably the worst technology you could imagine and very limited supplies but he worked his ass off and created something mindblowing!!!
    "Darth Vader would say 'Impressive'."

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
    6/14/08 Manchester, Tennessee
  • boroff89boroff89 Posts: 786

I don't like With Teeth. And I find your "either doesn't like music" comment completely and utterly bizarre. Music is in many ways my greatest passion. With Teeth has a few songs on it I like, but all in all, it is decidely mediocre. It lacks the edge of his earlier work. It lacks the originality and importance. And I certainly would not call it diverse. That's what I hear. Again, music is wonderful in that different people connect with different things. Just as a tip, it works better to leave out attacks (doesn't like music, Emo kids. . .) and instead simply state your case in an intelligent and mature fashion.
    It makes much more sense to live in the present tense.
  • boroff89 wrote:
    I don't like With Teeth. And I find your "either doesn't like music" comment completely and utterly bizarre. Music is in many ways my greatest passion. With Teeth has a few songs on it I like, but all in all, it is decidely mediocre. It lacks the edge of his earlier work. It lacks the originality and importance. And I certainly would not call it diverse. That's what I hear. Again, music is wonderful in that different people connect with different things. Just as a tip, it works better to leave out attacks (doesn't like music, Emo kids. . .) and instead simply state your case in an intelligent and mature fashion.

Sorry to ruffle your feathers, none of it was meant as a personal attack, thats why I added in "more deeply into Nine Inch Nails than me and finds something missing", it is entirely possible(and welcomed) that people have different opinions about music than I do, but you chose to connect with the former statement of "doesn't like music" and defend your knowledge. Everything I said was meant as light. I hadn't realised anyone actually proudly identified themselves as an "emo kid", or I wouldn't have made the joke. Sorry to offend.
  • ArctangentArctangent Posts: 614
    i loved with teeth. but then i also love the fragile and most people seemed to hate that too.

beside you i time/right where it belongs/home are the best 3 closing songs on any nin album imo
    Arctangent wrote:
    i loved with teeth. but then i also love the fragile and most people seemed to hate that too.

beside you i time/right where it belongs/home are the best 3 closing songs on any nin album imo

How can anyone hate The Fragile!?

It's mindblowing!
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

Dublin 23/08/06 Lisbon I 04/09/06 Lisbon II 05/09/06 Paris 11/09/06 Verona 16/09/06

• PHM was one of the best debuts I've ever heard, especially coming from a guy working part-time in a Cleveland recording studio, using fairly crappy 80's FM technology and equipment. This album is solely responsible for getting me into writing/producing electronic music.
    The first time I heard "Kinda I Want To" on my friend's very loud stereo..I was simply blown away by the production of it... the way the sounds, effects and samples bounced around...under a net of angry lyrics.
    Clearly Trent's gotten better with age, but still..that album is as classic as you can get. Maybe it's a little DX-7 heavy, but it still kicks ass.

Make your life a mission - not an intermission. - Arnold Gasglow
  • libragirllibragirl Posts: 4,632
    blasphemy!

j/k...

that and the broken ep was the best imo.
    These cuts are leaving creases. Trace the scars to fit the pieces, to tell the story, you don't need to say a word.
    libragirl wrote:
    blasphemy!

j/k...

that and the broken ep was the best imo.
    Seriously? Broken?

To each their own I guess. :)
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

• Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    I like some of pretty hate machine but a few of the tracks dont really interest me that much. I love the general sound of it though. I much prefer The Fragile and With Teeth. I know that a lot of people were disappointed with With Teeth but it has Right where it belongs, probably my favourite NIN song.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • libragirllibragirl Posts: 4,632
    audiodave wrote:
    Seriously? Broken?

To each their own I guess. :)

yeah i know it's weird..but i liked it.
    These cuts are leaving creases. Trace the scars to fit the pieces, to tell the story, you don't need to say a word.