2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Nominees Annoucned

PissBottleManPissBottleMan Posts: 4,154
edited November 2006 in Other Music
http://www.cleveland.com/entertainment/plaindealer/index.ssf?/base/entertainment/1162024719301610.xml&coll=2

Go ahead and jump - for joy! - Van Halen fans. The hard rocking band has been nominated for induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2007, along with eight other acts.

This is the first nomination for Van Halen, although the group has been eligible for at least the past three years.

R.E.M. and the Ronettes are the other first-time nominees on the latest Rock Hall ballot, which also has Chic, the Dave Clark Five, Grandmaster Flash, Patti Smith, the Stooges and Joe Tex in the running again for enshrinement, according to a source familiar with the nomination proceedings.

Van Halen has sold more than 56 million albums in the United States alone, on the strength of such hits as "Why Can't This Be Love" and the chart-topping "Jump." The Los Angeles band released its self titled debut in 1978. Hotshot guitarist Eddie Van Halen has been a mainstay, but the group has had a succession of lead singers, including David Lee Roth, Sammy Hagar, and Gary Cherone.

R.E.M., the jingle-jangle alt-rock pride of Athens, GA is fronted by vocalist Michael Stipe. After winning over the college-radio crowd in the early 1980's, the band found mainstream success to the tune of "Losing My Religion" and other Top 40 singles.

New York singer-poet Patti Smith and Detroit's Stooges, led by Iggy Pop, paved the way for punk by taking a no-frills approach to rock in the late 60's and early 70's.

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Foundation, based in New York, oversees the induction process. Artists are eligible 25 years after the release of their first recording.

The foundation recently downsized its nominating committee, made up of music industry insiders and chaired by Bruce Springsteen's manager, John Landau.

"We've made the committee smaller to move things along quicker", said Joel Peresman, President and CEO of the foundation.

Ballots are set to be mailed in the next few days to an international pool of voters, including record company executives and previous inductees.

Plans for the 2007 induction ceremony have not been announced.

PBM
"We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• surferdudesurferdude Posts: 2,057
    This year's nominations are a joke. Van Halen and REM deserve to be there, but the dislike for hard rock/heavy metal is unbelievable. Judas Priest should be in the hall already and at the least on this year's list. Same for Iron Maiden.

It seems more and more you need to be an industry darling to be nominated. John Landau got lucky latching onto to Bruce Springsteen, and his lack of ability at identifying talent is shining through on his current role with the RnR Hall of Fame. When Tex Ely is on the list of nominations but not Judas Priest you know there are serious problems with the process.
    “One good thing about music,
    when it hits you, you feel to pain.
    So brutalize me with music.”
    ~ Bob Marley
  • whygowhygo Posts: 55
    Grandmaster Flash!!
    :medal
  • transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    surferdude wrote:
    the dislike for hard rock/heavy metal is unbelievable. Judas Priest should be in the hall already and at the least on this year's list.
    I get worked up over this every year (the fact Priest gets overlooked). It is unfortunate they feel they can skip an entire genre. a genre that probably has the most loyal fan base and has been more or less underground its entire existence.

My other problem is that I feel once you are up for nomination, if you don't get in first time around, you are done. I mean, I am not saying that Patti Smith shouldn't be in (she should be), however what will have changed from one year to the next that would merit her inclusion? It shouldn't be because of the lack of other artists available that she gets in.

If Chic gets in, I am going to go apeshit.
  • surferdudesurferdude Posts: 2,057
    transplant wrote:
    I get worked up over this every year (the fact Priest gets overlooked). It is unfortunate they feel they can skip an entire genre. a genre that probably has the most loyal fan base and has been more or less underground its entire existence.
    I agree. That it took years for Black Sabbath to get in tells you everything you need to know about the nomination and voting committees.

On the flipside is the fact that Pearl Jam will get in their first year of eligibility. The are industry darlings and friends with Bruce Springsteen and by extension John Landau.
    “One good thing about music,
    when it hits you, you feel to pain.
    So brutalize me with music.”
    ~ Bob Marley
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    It is also amazing that Rush never gets any consideration for the Hall of Fame........but Chic does????? WTF.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    Patti Smith! Well its about time.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • pjfan020pjfan020 Posts: 426
    tybird wrote:
    It is also amazing that Rush never gets any consideration for the Hall of Fame........but Chic does????? WTF.

Rush should definitely be in there. It boggles the mind.
    "Tonight we're just gonna play you some good old American Rock and Roll." tom petty-7-15-05
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,682

Van Halen has sold more than 56 million albums in the United States alone, on the strength of such hits as "Why Can't This Be Love" and the chart-topping "Jump." The Los Angeles band released its self titled debut in 1978. Hotshot guitarist Eddie Van Halen has been a mainstay, but the group has had a succession of lead singers, including David Lee Roth, Sammy Hagar, and Gary Cherone.

PBM
    The fact that the press release reduces =VH= to two pop hits, "Jump" and "Why Can't this be Love" tells you all you need to know, that this was a begrudging nomination by a snobbish committee who continues to overlook hard rock and has included the caveat " but the group has had a succession of lead singers," for the voters to have reason not to cast a vote for Van Halen.

Expect the 5 new major inductees to be REM, Patti Smith, Chic, the oh so influential Dave Clark Five and the rocking Grand MAster Flash.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    This utter disregard for hard rock by the establishment & record companies reminds him of something that Kevin Dubrow mentioned a lot during Quiet Riot's brief ride at the top.

He said that after Van Halen I did gangbuster sales, the A&R guys hit the L.A. clubs looking to sign the next big thing.........did they sign the hard rock outfit selling out the clubs, Quiet Riot? No. They signed the Knack.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • hendrix78hendrix78 Posts: 507
    If the Stooges get in, I can forgive the long oversight of Black Sabbath. I'd love to see the looks on the faces of the suits at the ceremony when Iggy slices himself up on stage. It would also be great to see Mike Watt onstage at the Hall of Fame. The Stooges definitely need to get in.
  • Only REM and Van Halen made the top 20 in the poll for deserving but overlooked artists into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame at:
    http://www.rateitall.com/t-2529-deserving-of-the-rock-and-roll-hall-of-fame.aspx
    Here are the top 20:
    Chicago
    Rush
    Van Halen
    Yes
    R.E.M.
    Moody Blues
    Carole King
    Genesis
    Doobie Brothers
    Dire Straits
    Peter Gabriel (solo)