Options

Exile in Guyville

PissBottleManPissBottleMan Union City, TN Posts: 4,154
edited May 2006 in Other Music
On the way back from Chicago the other day, PBW popped in Exile in Guyville...I haven't heard that CD in forever...good stuff.

I've been playing it a lot since then.

PBM
"We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    It is really good. Too bad her stuff since has paled by comparison.
  • Options
    PissBottleManPissBottleMan Union City, TN Posts: 4,154
    That one seems very raw...I think that's what I like about it.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • Options
    tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    Great album........I think that she has changed record companies since the first couple of albums.......I think the change in her musical direction was imposed by the new record company.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Options
    Pearls&StonesPearls&Stones Posts: 585
    transplant wrote:
    It is really good. Too bad her stuff since has paled by comparison.

I like her other stuff, but it in no way is in the same league as "Exile in Guyville."

If I was forced to come up with my 10 favorite songs ever, the "Johnny my love, we got us a witness..." song that I can never remember the name of would definitely be on the list. One of my all time favorite lines is in that song... "We can probably skip the 'until death' part, 'cause Johnny my love you're already dead."

"Help Me Mary" and "Fuck and Run" are also awesome. I admire Liz Phair's conviction. She honestly wants to make more pop-sounding music and she is doing just that. People want her to sound angrier but she doesn't want to be dishonest. I thought her self-titled album was quite good. I need to listen to "Somebody's Miracle" again before I judge it
    I love my female wife...
    we sit around and wonder exactly why our marriage should feel threatened by gay marriage
  • Options
    Pearls&StonesPearls&Stones Posts: 585
    tybird wrote:
    Great album........I think that she has changed record companies since the first couple of albums.......I think the change in her musical direction was imposed by the new record company.

I don't think so. They know her albums won't sell as well the way they are. They know people want the angry Liz that isn't afraid to get raunchy. But, Liz swears she isn't that angry anymore and just wants to do the more bubble-gum stuff
    I love my female wife...
    we sit around and wonder exactly why our marriage should feel threatened by gay marriage
  • Options
    tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    I don't think so. They know her albums won't sell as well the way they are. They know people want the angry Liz that isn't afraid to get raunchy. But, Liz swears she isn't that angry anymore and just wants to do the more bubble-gum stuff
    That's cool if it is her decision......I don't think of her as angry....maybe edgey or horny, but not angry.

Believe it or not, I own all of her albums.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Options
    armyreservearmyreserve Posts: 209
    What an amazing album!
    10/06/91 Hollywood, CA; 05/13/92 Hollywood, CA; 09/02/93 Hollywood, CA; 11/05/93 Indio, CA; 11/07/95 San Diego, CA; 03/29/98 (Dead Man Walking - The Concert) Los Angeles, CA; 07/13/98 Inglewood, CA; 10/24/00 Los Angeles, CA; 10/28/00 Devore, CA;07/09/06 Los Angeles, CA; 07/10/06 Los Angeles, CA; 09/30/09 Universal City, CA; 10/01/09 Universal City, CA