My City Was Gone

PissBottleManPissBottleMan Posts: 4,154
edited March 2007 in Other Music
I have to travel quite a bit from city to city during the day so I listen to a lot of talk radio.

Usually, I stay on ESPN radio and listen to "The Herd" or "The Dan Patrick Show".

However, whenever they go into commercial, I flip over and listen to the conservative talk radio station. I've noticed that Rush Limbaugh uses My City Was Gone as a bumper back into his program a lot.

I actually just downloaded it off iTunes as it's been stuck in my head for the past 3 days.

It's strange to me, concidering Chrissy's stance on certain issues, that Rush uses this song so freely.

It's now become one of those songs that I associate with Rush. :(

PBM
"We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• libragirllibragirl Posts: 4,632
    These cuts are leaving creases. Trace the scars to fit the pieces, to tell the story, you don't need to say a word.
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    That could be a sign that Chrissy does not have control over the licensing of her back catalog?????
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • PissBottleManPissBottleMan Posts: 4,154
    tybird wrote:
    That could be a sign that Chrissy does not have control over the licensing of her back catalog?????

My thoughts were:

a.) Since it's a bumper (less than 30 seconds), it's fair game to use

b.) If she does give permission, she sees it as getting money from right wing radio (which, she in turn, could donate to charity).

I'm going to look into this a little more...it's just a little interesting.

I associate that song with Rush a lot...I wouldn't think Chrissy had that in mind when she wrote it.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

It's from Wiki...so take it with a grain of salt:

"The message of the song, interpreted by conservative listeners as a stab at the problems associated with changing American values, was used without permission for many years. After some negotiating Hynde decided to let Limbaugh continue to use it, with Hynde donating royalties received from Limbaugh to the animal rights organization PETA."

PBM

These cuts are leaving creases. Trace the scars to fit the pieces, to tell the story, you don't need to say a word.
    It's from Wiki...so take it with a grain of salt:

"The message of the song, interpreted by conservative listeners as a stab at the problems associated with changing American values, was used without permission for many years. After some negotiating Hynde decided to let Limbaugh continue to use it, with Hynde donating royalties received from Limbaugh to the animal rights organization PETA."

PBM
    Egads, Rush, quit using it if PETA is getting the loot!!!! P.S. I don't like PETA
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
    tybird wrote:
    I don't like PETA

I understand the dislike...there are extremists. However, I think they're are some really intelligent, level headed folks within PETA that want to see better regulations in the meat industry.

PBM

I understand the dislike...there are extremists. However, I think they're are some really intelligent, level headed folks within PETA that want to see better regulations in the meat industry.

PBM
    I know that we part ways on this issue....better regulations in the meat industry is a good goal, but there are other PETA efforts that I strongly with which I disagree.
    tybird wrote:
    but there are other PETA efforts that I strongly with which I disagree.

There are going to be folks like that on just about every issue.

However, if memory serves, Chrissy is pretty active (i.e. being arrested) with PETA.

PBM

Wikipedia isn't an accurate source. There was a story on the news how a lot of students are using it for research papers and wind up finding a lot of wrong info.
    libragirl wrote:
    Wikipedia isn't an accurate source.

Yeah...that's why I wanted to preface my post with a warning about where it came from.

I will try to find a more concrete source.

PBM

http://www.nndb.com/people/428/000022362/

Since Limbaugh's Sacramento days, his show's theme song has been an endless bass-beating loop snipped from a 1984 song by The Pretenders, "My City Was Gone." The song, though, has potent and openly liberal lyrics, written by Chrissie Hynde to protest over-development: "I went back to Ohio / but my pretty countryside / had been paved down the middle / by a government that had no pride." Limbaugh never sought permission to use the music, never paid royalties, and Hynde, living in England, heard only occasionally about her song's hijacking. She had no comment until 1997, when Limbaugh answered a reporter's question about the song by explaining that it was "icing on the cake that it was [written by] an environmentalist, animal rights wacko and was an anti-conservative song. It is anti-development, anti-capitalist, and here I am going to take a liberal song and make fun of [liberals] at the same time." Upon reading that, Hynde had her representatives contact Limbaugh and demand payment. At Hynde's request, Limbaugh's royalty checks for using her song are now made payable to People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA).

PBM