~Sonic Youth 2006 Setlists~

MeddleDealMeddleDeal Posts: 2,547
edited July 2006 in Other Music
I know there are A LOT of PJ fans that are SY fans on here, so I thought why not make a thread dedicated to Sonic Youth shows this year. It will be a GREAT way of keeping track what songs they are playing each night. And to educate those who havent attended a SY show yet, this will give you somewhat of an idea what they play :D

This will be reserved for the Sonic Youth shows(solo/opening for PJ & Flaming Lips). :D I'll add the setlists as each show comes along :)

(taken from the Sonic Youth Gossip Forum :cool: )

SONIC YOUTH (solo)
NYC, CBGBs 6.13.06

Philly, PA Starlight Ballroom 6.14.06

Washington, D.C., 9:30 Club 6.15.06

ASHEVILLE, NC ORANGE PEEL, 6.17.06

MANCHESTER, TN BONNAROO FESTIVAL, 6.18.06

Atlanta, GA 6.19.06

Tulsa, OK 6.21.06

Houston, TX 6.22.06

Austin, TX 6.23.06

Dallas, TX 6.24.06
Do you believe in rapture?, Reena, Tom Violence, What a Waste, Sleepin Around, Kool Thing, Rats, turquiose boy, Catholic Block, Eric's Trip, Or

encore1:
Jams Run Free, Pink Steam

encore 2:
Lights out, Shaking HELL
Lawrence, KS 6.25.06

Denver, CO 6.27.06

Missoula, MT 6.29.06

Seattle, WA 6.30.06

Portland, OR 7.01.06 (thanks to chiefojibwa for posting them up :D)
Incinerate, Reena, Tom Violence, What a Waste, Mote, Do You Believe in Rapture?, The Neutral, 100%, Jams Run Free, Rats, Catholic Block, Pink Steam, Or

Encore Break I
Sleepin' Around, Schizophrenia, Turquoise Boy

Encore Break II
Lights Out, Shaking Hell
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Sacramento, CA 7.03.06
Incinerate, Reena, Catholic Block, Pattern Recognition, Do You Believe In Rapture?, What a Waste, Eric's Trip, Rats, Turquoise Boy, 100%, Sunday,Pink Steam, Or

Encore 1
Lights Out, Jams Run Free

Encore 2
Schizo, Shaking Hell

Reno, NV 7.04.06

SY opening up for PJ :D

Las Vegas 7.06.06
Incinerate , Reena, What a waste, Rapture, Eric's Trip, TBoy, Jams run free , Pink Steam, Or

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

San Diego, CA 7.07.06
Incinerate, Reena, What A Waste,Rapture, Mote, TBoy, Jams Run Free, Pink Steam, Or
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~
~*STONEY PONY all the WAY!*~
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~
"For the world, not for the war"-Neil Finn
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I wish they would play Teenage Riot when I go lol. No way though probably. :( Oh well, I haven't heard their new album, but it's probably good.
    7/10/06
  • kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    thank you for posting.
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~
  • MeddleDealMeddleDeal Posts: 2,547
    I wish they would play Teenage Riot when I go lol. No way though probably. :( Oh well, I haven't heard their new album, but it's probably good.

yeah i know. such a great song, LOVE it!! I hope they would play more of the old, but oh well. You'll get that song soon enough. :D And I recommend HIGHLY picking up/downloading Rather Ripped. :)

And no problem kdpjam :D anything for my fellow PJ and SY buddies :)
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~
  • It sure is. It'd be amazing to hear that song. I'll probably have to go to one of their own concerts to though. It'd be awesome to hear 100% to. I'm hopin for Teenage Riot when I go lol, but I probably won't get it. Oh well, I'm sure they'll be great. Thanks a million for the list. ;) Also, I actually heard "What a Waste" and thought it was great. I do plan on acquiring "Rather Ripped".
    7/10/06
    SWEET!! :D you should listen to Incinerate, one of my favorites off the new album :)

yeah, i agree, in order to get the older songs, you would probably have to go to one of their shows. :) I have a feeling they will play a lot of the newer songs when they are opening up for PJ.

I heard them play Teenage Riot in 2004 as a closer in SF and Bull in the Heather.

At my brother's Austin show a few weeks back, they even played 100% and at the Houston show, they played the Diamond Sea :eek:

i can't wait for the SF shows though!! Seeing SY AND PJ on the SAME stage :cool:
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~
  • Lucky. The only problem I could see, is that, well, Sonic Youth is noise rock, so it wouldn be kinda' hard to comprehend what's going on, especially live. I love them and all. But I'm sure they'll sound great no matter what. I can't wait to see them together. Diamond Sea is an awesome song. Another I'd like to hear is Kill Yr. Idols..but that's highly unlikely lol. It's cool to see another SY fan. I'm sure I'll have a lot of appreciation for it when they play the songs live, if I hear the new album. I CANT WAIT!!! :D
    7/10/06
  • hailhail82hailhail82 Posts: 330
    Wow, that full show setlist looks so good. I might have to catch their show at the Fillmore in between the SB bowl and the Bill Graham afterall.
    Using the word "methinks" in your message board posts doesn't make you look smart.
    Thanks chiefojibwa for posting the Portland setlist. I will post it up on the first post. :D I was SO tired that I didn't even finish putting the setlist for most of these shows. :p
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~
  • Getting to see Sonic Youth and Pearl Jam at the same show is almost too cool to be true!!! SY is one great band that has refused to sell out for over two decades, and has never compromised their music in order to be "radio-friendly" or to appeal to commercially oriented markets. They are underground rock legends!! Having said that, the Las Vegas and San Diego shows were awesome! Love'n that feedback/noise!!!
    Aoxamoxa
    Getting to see Sonic Youth and Pearl Jam at the same show is almost too cool to be true!!! SY is one great band that has refused to sell out for over two decades, and has never compromised their music in order to be "radio-friendly" or to appeal to commercially oriented markets. They are underground rock legends!! Having said that, the Las Vegas and San Diego shows were awesome! Love'n that feedback/noise!!!

YES! I have to say I TOTALLY agree w/you. :D I find it very tongue-in-cheek that they called their Geffen years as "Corporate Ghost" :p They NEVER refuse to compromise at all and I HIGHLY suggest that people should watch the DVD w/the commentary. :)

And THANK u for posting your first ever post on this thread :) I am seeing them on Sat. and I can't wait!! FINALLY! Two of my favorite bands: SY and Pearl Jam on the SAME stage!! :eek: If the Pixies would have opened up for PJ i think I would have exploded by now too :o
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~
  • Austin 6/23/06

Incinerate
    Reena
    Catholic Block
    Jams Run Free
    Sleepin Around
    Do You Believe in Rapture
    What a Waste
    100%
    Rats
    The Neutral
    Pink Steam
    Or
    Turquoise Boy
    Schizophrenia
    Lights Out
    Eric's Trip
    Shaking Hell

I went to this show, and being that I don't get to go to that many shows, they played an excellent show, and it was well worth the travel.
    BUMP for SY!! :D

does anyone have the setlist for the LA shows?
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~
    Does anyone have the setlists for the past two SF show nights? :D

I know last night they started with Incincerate and they PLAYED 100%!! :eek: LOVED it!!!
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    Portland 7-01-06

01. Intro Chatter
    02. Incinerate
    03. Reena
    04. Tom Violence
    05. What a Waste
    06. Mote
    07. Do You Believe in Rapture?
    08. The Neutral
    09. 100%
    10. Jams Run Free
    11. Rats
    12. Catholic Block
    13. Pink Steam
    14. Or
    15. Encore Break
    16. Sleepin' Around
    17. Schizophrenia
    18. Turquoise Boy
    19. Encore Break (2)
    20. Lights Out
    21. Shaking Hell

i saw the reno show on the 4th of july. can't give setlist, but they played pretty much all this stuff PLUS kool thing!!!

i'm seeing SY next wednesday(26th july). i so hope this is close to their setlist for that night. :):)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    OMG! they played Catholic Block and Eric's Trip last night!! :eek: and the night b/f, 100%?! they NEVER played that when they were opening up for PJ on this leg!! Such a GREAT treat!!
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~
  • DaytimeDilemmaDaytimeDilemma Posts: 2,008
    ill be seein' SY at Lollapalooza. I hope they play 100%! Last time I saw SY, 2004, I wanted 100% but they played Teenage Riot instead...so all is good.
  • uninnocentuninnocent Posts: 1,565
    i'll be seeing sy in august and i can't wait. you see, i'm a sonic youth virgin.
    uninnocent wrote:
    i'll be seeing sy in august and i can't wait. you see, i'm a sonic youth virgin.

ooo, prepared to get your SY cherry POPPED!! :D

my first show was March 2004 in Austin, TX, AMAZiING show @ Stubb's Ampitheater!! I'm sure you'll enjoy it!!:)
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    anyone know of any websites w/ full sy shows for download?
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 Posts: 26,148
    im seeing SY for the 1st time ever with the Yeah Yeah Yeahs in Brooklyn in like 2 months. i hope they play some of Goo- its one of my favorite albums ever. the new one is great too though (very catchy for a SY album).
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
    anyone know of any websites w/ full sy shows for download?

you can always check the SY forum, they have a forum specifically for that.:)
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~
  • Red LukinRed Lukin Posts: 2,994
    Anyone know what time Sonic Youth hits the stage?

I'm seeing them in a week, and there's nothing worse then getting there too early drinking overpriced beer

It says the doors are at 7....so I'm assuming the opener is at 8, and SY at 9?
    anyone?
  • uninnocentuninnocent Posts: 1,565
    Red Lukin wrote:
    Anyone know what time Sonic Youth hits the stage?

I'm seeing them in a week, and there's nothing worse then getting there too early drinking overpriced beer

It says the doors are at 7....so I'm assuming the opener is at 8, and SY at 9?

9 for sonic youth. i'm a little late replying, i know, but whatever. it was a good show.
    uninnocent wrote:
    9 for sonic youth. i'm a little late replying, i know, but whatever. it was a good show.

No worries, I showed up at about 8:55, and they came on shortly after.

What an amazing show!
  • i love Sonic Youth, great setlists thanks. too bad most Sy fans are snobs, musically that is...
    Obscured1 wrote:
    i love Sonic Youth, great setlists thanks. too bad most Sy fans are snobs, musically that is...

the fans I spoke to this week were pretty cool, and had good taste in music...guess it just depends who you talk to

to be honest I don't know too many people who like SY anyways
    BUMP for SY fans :D
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~
  • I saw them in pittsburgh a few nights ago. easily tied with Tom Waits as the best show i've ever seen. They fucking rocked. being in the front row at a Sonic Youth show is orgasmic.

candle
    reena
    incinerate
    eric's trip
    rapture
    what a waste
    schizophrenia
    turquoise boy
    rats
    100%
    jams run free
    pink steam
    or

encore 1:
    the neutral
    silver rocket

encore 2:
    lights out
    shaking hell

the people on the SY board seem to believe this is the best set list so far. We didn't get teenage riot though :(

100% was absolutely insane. Thurston was singing so hard he ended up ripping the mike out of the stand and knocking it over.

opening up with Candle was a surprise and was sweet also.
    "What’s Orphans? I don’t know. Orphans is a dead end kid driving a coffin with big tires across the Ohio River wearing welding goggles and a wife beater with a lit firecracker in his ear." - Tom Waits
    BUMP!

SY is coming back to the Bay Area Oct. 1st! I need to get tixs for this within the week!! YEA!! :D I was already missing those guys:o
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~