~*Janis Joplin*~

MeddleDealMeddleDeal Posts: 2,547
edited April 2007 in Other Music
Growing up in a small town in Texas, I listened to Janis, not knowing that she was also from a small town in Texas. I loved her voice and the way she could really use her voice. There aren't that many singers around like her that can be bluesy, harsh, but yet beautiful. Truly, Janis, to me, was and IS the Queen of Rock. :D Even though she left this world too early in her life, her music legacy lives on. Some of her biggest hits, like Piece of My Heart, which was originally written and performed my Aretha Franklin's sister, she made that song her own. You can hear her evolution from Big Brother and the Holding Company to Full Tilt Boogie Band that she was a force to be reckon with.

One of my favorite songs from her would have to be "Cry Baby" the way she lets it all out. Truly one of the best! :D

Long live Janis!
ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~
~*STONEY PONY all the WAY!*~
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~
"For the world, not for the war"-Neil Finn
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    so come on come on come on come on and take it take another little piece of my heart now baby.

God i love janis joplin.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • JeanieJeanie Posts: 9,446
    Janis Joplin!!! God I LOVE that woman!!! :)

Got Me and Bobby McGee CRANKED UP right now!!! :D

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose"

Now moving onto Cry Baby........and coming up........Mercedes Benz!! :D
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • uninnocentuninnocent Posts: 1,565
    i love janis and her brand of kosmic blues.
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    Did I mention this girl in my girlie singers thread. Has anyone got the DVD of the tour on the train ??
    Music is not a competetion.
  • She was a great singer no doubt and I love big brother, but she's not the queen of rock n' roll, Stevie Nicks is.
    Did I mention this girl in my girlie singers thread. Has anyone got the DVD of the tour on the train ??

Well I don't know if you did lucy. But she was definitely mentioned.
    More than once. :)

I know the DVD you are talking of, I just can't remember the bloody name of it!!! Anyway, I think I did see it on TV once. And I know it was shown at The Astor quite recently. It's certainly one I'd like to own. If I manage to get my hands on a copy I'll send you one too! :)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • MeddleDealMeddleDeal Posts: 2,547
    that dvd is called Festival Express & i have yet to see it, but i will soon :)

i love Stevie Nicks too, but i think she would agree that Janis will ALWAYS be Queen :D
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~
    MeddleDeal wrote:

i love Stevie Nicks too, but i think she would agree that Janis will ALWAYS be Queen :D

Ah thank you MD!! :) The name of that dvd has been escaping me all day and driving me nuts!!! I could see the cover in my mind and everything just couldn't bring the name of it to mind! So thank you!! :)

I'm going to hunt it out now and make sure I watch it. :)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
    hey no problemo. :D When I first saw the previews, I SO wanted to watch it, i might have to move it up on my NetFlix account :)

have you all read Love, Janis? it was written by her sister, Laura. It is very touching reading parts of Janis' letters she wrote to her family back home. i HIGHLY suggest reading that book Good read and gives a glimpse into Janis Lyn Joplin's life:D
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~
    MeddleDeal wrote:
    hey no problemo. :D When I first saw the previews, I SO wanted to watch it, i might have to move it up on my NetFlix account :)

have you all read Love, Janis? it was written by her sister, Laura. It is very touching reading parts of Janis' letters she wrote to her family back home. i HIGHLY suggest reading that book Good read and gives a glimpse into Janis Lyn Joplin's life:D

I'm jealous md!! :o Reckon it'll take a bit more work for me to get my hands on it and watch it. BUT I'll persevere! Reckon it'll be worth it! :)
    Although I'm kicking myself right about now for not going to see it when it was on at one of my favorite cinemas here in recent times. :eek:

I haven't read Love, Janis. BUT I'll be adding it to my PJ pit booklist!
    Sounds like an excellent read. Thanks for mentioning it. I had no idea it even existed. :confused: Little Miss Clueless here!! :eek:

Thanks again. :)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
    it's okay Jeanie. To tell you the truth, i didn't hear about it until recently. the play, "Love, Janis" was inspired by the book. my friend, VEDHEAD27 told me about it that they were going to show it in San Francisco, and we never went. :( They have a listing of where they are performing at this site:

http://www.officialjanis.com/lovejanis.html

God, this woman truly rocked!! :D
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~
  • laudenumlaudenum Posts: 405
    MeddleDeal wrote:

festival express,only in canada
    "shes stoned said the swede, and the
    mooncalf agreed" THe BANd
    MeddleDeal wrote:
    it's okay Jeanie. To tell you the truth, i didn't hear about it until recently. the play, "Love, Janis" was inspired by the book. my friend, VEDHEAD27 told me about it that they were going to show it in San Francisco, and we never went. :( They have a listing of where they are performing at this site:

http://www.officialjanis.com/lovejanis.html

God, this woman truly rocked!! :D

Oh my. I do hope they bring it here at some point. I don't think I could stand to know that such a thing exists and not be able to see it!! But I'm sure I'll be waiting!
    Thanks for the link md. :)

Janis rules!!! :D
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • hendrix78hendrix78 Posts: 507
    Janis rocks. Ball and Chain is my favorite of hers. Her version of Summertime is awesome too.

Festival Express is a great documentary. Not only does it have great footage of Janis, but also of the Band, the Dead, and several others. The scenes of them all jamming on the train while completely wasted are really cool. They show it fairly regularly on either IFC or the Sundance channel.
  • JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    Janis was awesome. I love what Melissa Etheridge said about her when she inducted her into the R&R Hall of Fame: ""Yes, Janis Joplin was a junkie. Yes, she was an alcoholic. Yes, she was promiscuous. In 1967 Janis Joplin was strange and freaky. But I think today she would be pretty hip."
  • libragirllibragirl Posts: 4,632
    She was truly an original..her music is timeless imo
    These cuts are leaving creases. Trace the scars to fit the pieces, to tell the story, you don't need to say a word.
  • indiffgrlindiffgrl Posts: 39
    I love Janis Joplin so much. Her music and her voice is like no one else. Her music touches me like no one else can. She is one of my idols. If only she was still here today.
    Let me sleep all night in your soul kitchen....... Learn to forget....... fingers weive quick minarets speak in secret alphabet.
  • PissBottleManPissBottleMan Posts: 4,154
    Mike Brady wrote:
    Stevie Nicks is.

Whenever I'm in Sedona, Arizona, I love to go to Stevie Nicks Fajita Roundup.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • Whenever I'm in Sedona, Arizona, I love to go to Stevie Nicks Fajita Roundup.

PBM

Lol, i was about to ask why i never saw that place when i was in sedona. Now i realize that that would have been a very very dumb question.
    "Everyone is a patriot in some form or another.... i prefer the intelligent ones."

"She fell funny"

"Klaus Daimler, 40, engineer, calm, collected, German"
    BUMP for the GREAT Janis Joplin! :D
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~
  • leavin hereleavin here Posts: 145
    I love Janis! She is so important for music and women in music, she was the first to scream and yell and do it with passion! Without her music wouldnt be the same, she also did it in a non athestetic way, she was voted the ugly girl in college and wasnt there too look hot, she was there to sing! She was up there in a man's world of musicians and festivals and rocked just as hard as them!
    Vancouver 09/02/05, so far so good
    I love Janis! She is so important for music and women in music, she was the first to scream and yell and do it with passion! Without her music wouldnt be the same, she also did it in a non athestetic way, she was voted the ugly girl in college and wasnt there too look hot, she was there to sing! She was up there in a man's world of musicians and festivals and rocked just as hard as them!

AMEN to THAT!!! did you read Love, Janis? She surely had balls to do what she did during that time. :) she did help pave the way for a lot of women artists today. Her contribution to music is a lasting one.

Let's raise a toast to Janis Joplin! :)
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~
    MeddleDeal wrote:
    BUMP for the GREAT Janis Joplin! :D

Aah!! Thanks for that md!! Needed the reminder!!

Got Piece of My Heart cranked and rocking now!

How apt! And isn't that the thing you love about Janis the best?

She KNOWS how it is somedays. :)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • eMMIeMMI Posts: 6,262
    AAARRGGHHHH!!! yes yes yes, there IS a Janis Joplin thread!! :D:D:D

it was only a few days ago when I visited the library and got Love, Janis to read as I've always been intrigued by her though I didn't know her music, except for Piece of My Heart. then the day after I started reading the book I just HAD TO find all the Janis albums our library has and get them aswell!! (they had Pearl and The Essential Janis Joplin) been listening to those since that and I am in love!

I'm soooo happy that I've found her!!! :D:D:D:D:D:D
    "Don't be faint-hearted, I have a solution! We shall go and commandeer some small craft, then drift at leisure until we happen upon another ideal place for our waterside supper with riparian entertainments."
    eMMI wrote:
    AAARRGGHHHH!!! yes yes yes, there IS a Janis Joplin thread!! :D:D:D

it was only a few days ago when I visited the library and got Love, Janis to read as I've always been intrigued by her though I didn't know her music, except for Piece of My Heart. then the day after I started reading the book I just HAD TO find all the Janis albums our library has and get them aswell!! (they had Pearl and The Essential Janis Joplin) been listening to those since that and I am in love!

I'm soooo happy that I've found her!!! :D:D:D:D:D:D

i'm glad that you read the book. I love how her sister put her insight into things. OMG, you listen to Pearl?! that is such a great album. The story behing that album, I think it was mentioned in the book, that she was singing and they had the mics on. Pure Janis moment! I have the Texas international Pop festival and OMG, it goes to show you that janis is QUEEN!! :D

YAY! another janis convert! :D
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~
  • patrickredeyespatrickredeyes Posts: 8,834
    Bump for Janis :D
  • korbykorby Posts: 298
    what was her last album to be called ? anyone ....
    its ok
    MeddleDeal wrote:
    i'm glad that you read the book. I love how her sister put her insight into things. OMG, you listen to Pearl?! that is such a great album. The story behing that album, I think it was mentioned in the book, that she was singing and they had the mics on. Pure Janis moment! I have the Texas international Pop festival and OMG, it goes to show you that janis is QUEEN!! :D

YAY! another janis convert! :D

well, I haven't actually finished the book yet. :) as it's fairly long, I haven't had enough time and I'm reading it in English so I have to take a break every now and then or I'll just be reading it and then after a while realise that I haven't understood/can't remember anything I've read, lol. :D

I shall give Pearl a proper listen today, have been listening to the Essential CDs now. :)

:D
    "Don't be faint-hearted, I have a solution! We shall go and commandeer some small craft, then drift at leisure until we happen upon another ideal place for our waterside supper with riparian entertainments."
    eMMI wrote:
    well, I haven't actually finished the book yet. :) as it's fairly long, I haven't had enough time and I'm reading it in English so I have to take a break every now and then or I'll just be reading it and then after a while realise that I haven't understood/can't remember anything I've read, lol. :D

I shall give Pearl a proper listen today, have been listening to the Essential CDs now. :)

:D

OMG! I'm sorry. I hope I didn't ruin the end of the book for you :o i'm SO glad that you are getting into her...it is such a great tragedy that is she gone. :(
    Bump for Janis :D

Awww, THANKS Patrick! :D you ROCK!!
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~
    MeddleDeal wrote:
    OMG! I'm sorry. I hope I didn't ruin the end of the book for you :o i'm SO glad that you are getting into her...it is such a great tragedy that is she gone. :(

haha, no worries, nothing ruined! :)

I'm very very glad I found her aswell. :D:D

ahh, there are so many tragedies in the world. :o at least we've got her music to last forever! :)