Choosing an opening band...

hsewifhsewif Posts: 444
edited November 2006 in Other Music
How does it work? Are there any industry insiders here?

I have always assumed that the main band hand-picked their opening band. They invite a band that they like... an act that would be a good 'fit' to get the audience going.

A few nights ago, I met a woman who was FIRMLY convinced that the decision was all management... management wanting to promote a band and 'up' their exposure. The main act had little if no say in the matter.

It kinda left me scratching my head as both scenarios make sense.

Does anyone here know how it 'really' works?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    i believe it's often a decision made by management and promoters. i think pearl jam is a rarity in the kind of power and selection they have over their opening bands
  • hsewifhsewif Posts: 444
    i believe it's often a decision made by management and promoters. i think pearl jam is a rarity in the kind of power and selection they have over their opening bands
    \

NIce to see you beyond the AET and MT forums. :)

I was at the Bob Dylan show on Friday...Kings of Leon opening.

KOL have opened for U2, Bob Dylan and will be opening for PJ. I was impressed about this and a woman swore that it was all management.

Management tags these relatively unknown bands with the "big boys" to gain some momentum. -and ultimately more $$$.

Both make sense... which one is it?
  • red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    Yeah, the record labels sometimes do what is commonly known as "Label mates"
    and send two bands on the road for a tour that are signed to that label.
    Otherwise, I figured the bands just handpicked their opening acts
    I think it works either way. Generally, I would think that when you hear problems with bands touring with each other, more than likely, that was a label decision
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    hsewif wrote:
    How does it work? Are there any industry insiders here?

I have always assumed that the main band hand-picked their opening band. They invite a band that they like... an act that would be a good 'fit' to get the audience going.

A few nights ago, I met a woman who was FIRMLY convinced that the decision was all management... management wanting to promote a band and 'up' their exposure. The main act had little if no say in the matter.

It kinda left me scratching my head as both scenarios make sense.

Does anyone here know how it 'really' works?

Its all about relationships......managers, agent, record labels......they all try to group their own clients/acts.....promoters usually only chose the opener if the band requests "local support". This is why its important to have a manager who has acts stronger then you.

Some bands have no gripes about being an opener....the Foo Fighters & STP opened for the RHCPs, even after each of them were well known. Garbage opened for many bands as late as the tour for their 3rd album. Headliners often do this to stregnthen their ticket sales.

It isn't uncommon for a band to pay to be the opener......in the UK in the 80s, PIL would charge bands if they wanted to open for them!

Even now, there are some bands that are paying to get on tours....it can be argued that its great marketing, but it sorta ruins the integrity
  • red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    Its all about relationships......managers, agent, record labels......they all try to group their own clients/acts.....promoters usually only chose the opener if the band requests "local support". This is why its important to have a manager who has acts stronger then you.

Some bands have no gripes about being an opener....the Foo Fighters & STP opened for the RHCPs, even after each of them were well known. Garbage opened for many bands as late as the tour for their 3rd album. Headliners often do this to stregnthen their ticket sales.

It isn't uncommon for a band to pay to be the opener......in the UK in the 80s, PIL would charge bands if they wanted to open for them!

Even now, there are some bands that are paying to get on tours....it can be argued that its great marketing, but it sorta ruins the integrity
    You bring up a very interesting point. Since I read your post, I think I understad it all better myself.
    This helps to explain why the Ramones, Iggy pop opened for Pearl jam on some of their tours. Honestly, I would think pj would be the opener for both of these bands since they have been around longer- and now both of those acts are hall of famers (I think Iggy is???). Thanks for shedding some light on this. This may be why we see so many co- headlining tours now to strenghing ticket sales but it seems like ticket sales for all bands are still in a slump.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
    red mos wrote:
    You bring up a very interesting point. Since I read your post, I think I understad it all better myself.
    This helps to explain why the Ramones, Iggy pop opened for Pearl jam on some of their tours. Honestly, I would think pj would be the opener for both of these bands since they have been around longer- and now both of those acts are hall of famers (I think Iggy is???). Thanks for shedding some light on this. This may be why we see so many co- headlining tours now to strenghing ticket sales but it seems like ticket sales for all bands are still in a slump.

You are welcome.

In the case of PJ, they are paying homage (and a tidy fee) to their heros.....X, The Ramones, Iggy, Bad Religion, etc.....and they paid homage back in the day by opening for Neil Young.

Neil Young went on a huge kick in the 90s where he had STP, Social D & Sonic Youth open for him, but that just seemed like a ploy to draw-in the kids!
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:

who is PIL?
    who is PIL?

Public Image Limited....Johnny Rotten's band after the Sex Pistols.
  • JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    Public Image Limited....Johnny Rotten's band after the Sex Pistols.

In Michael Azerrad's book "Our Band Could Be Your Life", it seems like every band featured opened for PIL at some point, and was treated like shit by John Lydon. There's a story about how Mark Arm, when Green River opened for PIL, said to the crowd at the end of their set, "If you want to see what happens to somebody who's completely sold out, just wait." Seemed like fitting payback for a lot of bands.
    The car's on fire and there's no driver at the wheel
    And the sewers are all muddied with a thousand lonely suicides